Pulley Noise

jj2329

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok so I am getting a ticking sound from around the pulleys when i first crank the truck. It usually quites down after it warms up. I pulled the belt and spun all the pulleys but cant replicate the sound. Then cranked the truck with belt off and the sound isnt there. So it must be one of the pulleys. I'm thinking its the power steering pump or pulley. Any of you guys had a similar issue?

Mine was chewing on the belt a little and making some noise. Replaced and all better. About 80 bucks for a ps pulley if I remember right.

Do you have to get a shop to press the pulley on or is it possible to do it yourself. Would the March Billet pulley be a better choice than stock?

I see no benefit of the nicer pulley, you can't even see it. Yes your old pulley has to be pressed off and the new one pressed on. A shop will have the tool for that. While you are in there might as weep replace the ps lines. If they are not leaking, they will.

Isn't an oem pump about $200? I mean if you have to buy a $80 pulley and pay someone 50-60 to have it install on your old ps pump might as well just buy the pump?

Does an OEM come with the pulley? Most of the pumps I've looked at don't come with the pulley.

No clicking, just the usual belt chirp. Bought a new pump from Oriellys, no pulley listed in parts book. I put the pulley on myself, but shouldn't be much to change out pulley for you.

Got a pump from Oriellys but the OEM reservoir does attach to it and the reservoir that comes with new pump doesn't two attachments for factory hoses that go to fan.

Ok, got some new info. I squirted some WD-40 on the belt and the noise goes completely away until the WD-40 drys. What's this mean do I need another belt or when I put the new pulley on the pump did I press it on to far?

The idler pulley and belt should be replaced first, then if the sound is still there id go after the tensioner...If its not it, could probally stand to be done anyway....

Last edited:
I have squeeking when cold. Just changed all pulleys belt and tensioner... Wondering if it's ac free wheel!????

Thewelshm

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back