pulling the steering wheel. question

lukedovichak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hey fellas. got a question. never pulled a steering wheel off before. do you need gear puller to pull it off ? i got the bolt that is in the very middle of the steering wheel out, and i locked it in place so that i dont mess up the alignment when i put it back on. but i am having a tough time getting it off. am i missing something here or is that hard to get off? i also unhooked the negative to the battery before this so i didnt blow off the airbag while working on this biotch.

haha i love this site, never mind, i should have searched before posting the question. lol

Steering wheels are really easy to replace on the Dodge. I put an aftermarket wheel on mine and the entire swap took around 30 minutes total.

1. Disconnect the battery, drink a beer,

2. Take out the two screws holding the air bag on (on the back of the wheel) and disconnect the airbag, drink a beer,

3. Remove the nut on the center shaft holding the wheel on (drinking a beer throught the process),

4. Grab the wheel with both hands (put the beer down first) and wiggle it back and forth while pulling towards you (you might want to leave the nut on the center shaft a few turns so the old wheel doesn't take out your front teeth when it comes off).

5. Transfer the various trim pieces and switches to the new wheel and reverse the proceedure.
6. Then have a beer while you sit back and take in the beauty of your new steering wheel.

I've always used a puller when working on other vehicles. Haven't had to do the SRT yet.

i got it off with brute force and twisting. installed what i needed to, put it all back together and bam. shes tite and everythings works great now. it was pissing me off, but i called a buddy and he said dig ur fit in and twist it back n forth while pulling towards your face. it worked. but i would have used a puller if i had one available :)

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back