purchasing a reg cab srt10

if that truck has 108k on it and it's the original owner and he can provide you with maintenance records then i would entertain it...

probably 16k though... some of us soon will be finding out just how long these motors will last... i've put 90 of the 106k miles on my truck myself and i have a folder 2" thick of everything i've done to it.

as price guidance, here's a list of everything i did, some out of necessity, some because it was "cheaper" to do one than the other.

at 95k miles:
new clutch, pp, tob, flywheel, slave, master +labor $1,500
rebuilt rear end with new clutches and cryoed spider gears $550
new long tube headers, high flow cats $1,500 (i was throwing codes for clogged cats, and the cost to redo the exhaust, install new high flows, build it in stainless was creeping close to the cost of the headers/hfc combo, so i decided to just do it all, but i could have spent less, or just eliminated the cats altogether...
at that time, i also got an sct tuner to make it work better $350
at 100k the trans took a shit, finally... and while i do the fluid changes and so on, i do track it a lot, so that was about $2,000...

so in the last 6 months, that's about $6k. however, all those parts should be good for another 100k miles, and the rest of the things like ball joints, tie rods, brakes, etc. are all regular maintenance type things, so that doesn't count...

the only kicker is if this motor just decides to take a shit at 120k miles, then that's gonna be a minimum of $5k to repair or replace...

adding it all up, if you could get that high mileage truck for around 16k, that'd leave you a bit of coin to do some upgrading and or replacing parts AND make it faster... i picked up a half a second at the track with those mods alone, and if you care about times, it was worth it to me;)

and i'm a realist... my truck has been in accidents (albeit minor, and i have pics of all the repairs while they were getting fixed) i have a huge file on the truck, and in the interest of full disclosure, i realize that a clean title truck is worth more. i wouldn't take less than $20k if someone were looking... in the last year i've spent about $8k on her.... but then again... in the last 4 years i've owned it, it's never been in the shop, except to have the PS pump replaced...

post up what you find... i'm sure someone here knows something about it...

if that truck has 108k on it and it's the original owner and he can provide you with maintenance records then i would entertain it...

probably 16k though... some of us soon will be finding out just how long these motors will last... i've put 90 of the 106k miles on my truck myself and i have a folder 2" thick of everything i've done to it.

as price guidance, here's a list of everything i did, some out of necessity, some because it was "cheaper" to do one than the other.

at 95k miles:
new clutch, pp, tob, flywheel, slave, master +labor $1,500
rebuilt rear end with new clutches and cryoed spider gears $550
new long tube headers, high flow cats $1,500 (i was throwing codes for clogged cats, and the cost to redo the exhaust, install new high flows, build it in stainless was creeping close to the cost of the headers/hfc combo, so i decided to just do it all, but i could have spent less, or just eliminated the cats altogether...
at that time, i also got an sct tuner to make it work better $350
at 100k the trans took a shit, finally... and while i do the fluid changes and so on, i do track it a lot, so that was about $2,000...

so in the last 6 months, that's about $6k. however, all those parts should be good for another 100k miles, and the rest of the things like ball joints, tie rods, brakes, etc. are all regular maintenance type things, so that doesn't count...

the only kicker is if this motor just decides to take a shit at 120k miles, then that's gonna be a minimum of $5k to repair or replace...

adding it all up, if you could get that high mileage truck for around 16k, that'd leave you a bit of coin to do some upgrading and or replacing parts AND make it faster... i picked up a half a second at the track with those mods alone, and if you care about times, it was worth it to me;)

and i'm a realist... my truck has been in accidents (albeit minor, and i have pics of all the repairs while they were getting fixed) i have a huge file on the truck, and in the interest of full disclosure, i realize that a clean title truck is worth more. i wouldn't take less than $20k if someone were looking... in the last year i've spent about $8k on her.... but then again... in the last 4 years i've owned it, it's never been in the shop, except to have the PS pump replaced...

post up what you find... i'm sure someone here knows something about it...

Hi Viperhauler - I appreciate the info you have shared with me. 2 questions came to mind after reading your post.

First, is your truck a daily driver? Second, are you saying that these motors don't last much longer than 110K miles? My mechanic, albeit not as experienced in the viper motors as other common v8's, says that these motors can outlast the body of the truck if it stays stock. So I'm curious which statement has more merit.

In my experience, just because a vehicle has many miles, it is not necessarily "worn out" I have seen vehicles with few miles that were beat to shit, thoroughly trashed etc. Generally, a daily driver will be better maintained, "babied", etc. simply because it is needed for transportation. There are many trucks out there that are in fantastic condition, are used but not abused. just depends on what you want, can pay, & what your future plans are for it. Enjoy your hunt, you will find one you can't pass up.

Hi Viperhauler - I appreciate the info you have shared with me. 2 questions came to mind after reading your post.

First, is your truck a daily driver? Second, are you saying that these motors don't last much longer than 110K miles? My mechanic, albeit not as experienced in the viper motors as other common v8's, says that these motors can outlast the body of the truck if it stays stock. So I'm curious which statement has more merit.

yes, mine's a daily... bought in spring of 07.

my point in saying that about the miles is that you never know... i sold my 3000gt vr4 TT with light mods with almost 200k miles on it and it ran like a scalded cat but at the same time, i also had a 94 z28 that popped a motor at 110k and it was stock.

there's been guys that have lost motors due to a valvespring breaking... a $10 part...

and i'm sure there's been a few with low miles that just had a bad day at the factory.

if memory serves, all the viper motors are hand built, so you would think people who worked at that factory would have more pride in their work than the people on the line at the taurus factory;)

regardless, it's just something to keep in mind when buying any higher mileage vehicle... it just happens to be that replacing a viper motor is the cost of an entire second car, so in my mind, it's something that needs to be taken into consideration... unless you have unlimited funds, of course

yes, mine's a daily... bought in spring of 07.

my point in saying that about the miles is that you never know... i sold my 3000gt vr4 TT with light mods with almost 200k miles on it and it ran like a scalded cat but at the same time, i also had a 94 z28 that popped a motor at 110k and it was stock.

there's been guys that have lost motors due to a valvespring breaking... a $10 part...

and i'm sure there's been a few with low miles that just had a bad day at the factory.

if memory serves, all the viper motors are hand built, so you would think people who worked at that factory would have more pride in their work than the people on the line at the taurus factory;)

regardless, it's just something to keep in mind when buying any higher mileage vehicle... it just happens to be that replacing a viper motor is the cost of an entire second car, so in my mind, it's something that needs to be taken into consideration... unless you have unlimited funds, of course

Funds, in my situation, are certainly limited without a shadow of a doubt. So it's good to see that it isn't a situation where they are destined to doom like an Edsel. :toilet:

on my truck with 85k miles on it we pulled the heads when we pulled the motor and you could still see the crosshatches in the cylinder walls. looked excellent for a motor with that many miles on it. only reason for pulling it was to build it for twin turbos.

Springfield Mo. area .I could email some pictures if interested. 04 black rc with minor mods , have all stock parts but the wheels.

Looks like I will not be getting either one of those. I do appreciate the input from everyone. As most have stated, they are too high miles and getting into the "costly" age.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back