putting my Viper motor in my '72 Blazer?

Dave T(BADVENM)

Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I started thinking about what to do with my busted motor once I got it fixed. I could build it up for a future Viper or my SRT Ram or I could put it in my '72 Blazer which I've had since the mid 1980s. These vehicles are coming up in price and are somewhat hard to find anymore.

So, would a cummins diesel or cast iron V10 auto tranny (from the older 2500,3500 series truck) seem a good fit? I've seen a Jeep Wrangler with a viper motor in it but need to check on the tranny. I think Mopar has the wiring harness and stuff like that.

Anyway, I could keep it naturally aspirated and the engine compartment in these trucks is more then large enough to put in a 454 so I figure I could fit one in.

Last edited:
Dave T(BADVENM) said:
So I started thinking about what to do with my busted motor once I got it fixed. I could build it up for a future Viper or my SRT Ram or I could put it in my '72 Blazer which I've had since the mid 1980s. These vehicles are coming up in price and are somewhat hard to find anymore.

So, would a cummins diesel or cast iron V10 auto tranny (from the older 2500,3500 series truck) seem a good fit? I've seen a Jeep Wrangler with a viper motor in it but need to check on the tranny. I think Mopar has the wiring harness and stuff like that.

Anyway, I could keep it naturally aspirated and the engine compartment in these trucks is more then large enough to put in a 454 so I figure I could fit one in.
Not sure about the tranny, the old cast iron v10 was work motor and had a different output than the viper motor, ie, shaft position bolt pattern etc. You might need to check it more but from what I've seen and read I don't think it will work. As for the cummins diesel, the OE trannys aren't all that great, I've been thru 2 in my 3500 dually so I'd look at an aftermarket if your gonna go that route, ATS makes a killer tranny, its what I run now and they might be able to fabricate something to bolt up to the viper motor. Check them out, www.atsdiesel.com

Saw this from an article on a 98 Jeep with the Gen II viper motor -

A Borla muffler and custom exhaust keep the noise level to a minimum. Using the 12" pressure plate from the Viper and a 12" clutch disk from a V10 Dodge pickup all that power is sent to a New Venture 4500 5-speed. For the ultimate in crawl ratios an Advance Adapters Atlas II 4.3:1 transfer case is used. The front axle is a Currie Enterprises reverse cut Dana 44 with 4.56 gears and an ARB air locker. The rear is a reverse cut Dana 60 with disc brakes, 4.56 gears, and a Detroit Locker provided by Dynatrac. A set of 35" Swamper Boggers on 15x10 bead lock wheels from Marsh Racing Tires keep the Jeep moving in the right direction.

You might want to do some measuring first, the V-10 is a very long motor. I'm not sure it will fit in a 72 blazer engine bay.

Bill.

I have seen two TJ's with Viper motors on the net, I think one belonged to a football player....anyway, both had 4500's, I have never liked Dodge auto trannies, so I wouldn't go that way. Is a stick an option?'

72's are a beautiful ride, always wanted one....had a 73 in college....other than replacing parts every weekend, it was a fun ride....full convertible top and all that good stuff.....tore off the doors, it was that GM nasty green, looked like a hummer.....anyway, my engine bay was about the size of a small apartment, so it should fit fine.....what is it currently??? 350 with a turbo 350? A viper motor would be kick ass, but those 350's were pretty damn dependable...

Is the motor gonna be OK welded shut like that? The rod did exit thru the block right????? i think that thing is scrap bro. I bought one and gave.sold it to Boomer and he said it was scrap cuz the cam wouldnt come out of the block from being too hot. it was welded to the block, he said. i dont see how that could be worse than punching a hole in the block...

The truck has the original motor and tranny 350/350 but the motor was pushed out to 383. Back in the late 80s the new thing was to put the 400 internals in the 350 block for torque. I actually did some 4-wheelin and stuff with it back then. I have a pic of it with the SRT, I'll try and attach it somehow.

I'm not familiar on the chances of fixing my block and have zero feedback on who/how to do it. If I cant fix it I'll put 10 little plants in each cylinder or put a coffeytable piece of glass on it as a "discussion" piece :)

I'll see how to attach a pic of the Blazer.

Dude...I think it is a killer idea....weld it up slap it in leave it at the stock Hp and drive the crap out of it.....

let's see some pics of the truck as it is now....

best I can do is that its in my avatar now. I need to read up on making the pic bigger. I'll get some fresh shots here in a few days.

I would consider building a 454 and sticking that in the Blazer. With the amount of money potentially spent on the viper motor/tranny/modifications, you might be further ahead. Just my 2 cents, but if you want to be different, viper all the way.

the 454 option seems pretty common and cost wise would be the better route to go. I'm just thinking out loud. It would be nice to have the best of both worlds. A viper powered classic '72 Blazer.

I think if you can salvage that viper engine, you should stick it in a dodge. Maybe an old 46 pickup. That would be bad a$$.

dodg4603.htm

Not this one, put gives you an idea. It would be a project for sure, but that would be unique and potent!

Well, pictures are not my thing. 46 dodge pickup would be cool. Wonder if it would fit?

If it's anything like a 40 Ford pickup, the back side of the viper motor would probably make a nice center armrest/console. I shoehorned a 460 in my 40 pickup and had to recess the firewall almost 6 inches.

If your gonna do a 454 might as well go to a 502 or a 572 crate engine, either one would be kick ass, make some serious power and be all around cooler than a 454, If I'm not mistaken there is a 600HP and a 700HP 572

ya, a crate motor would be awesome. Just need to keep it hush hush exhaust wise so I can keep sleeper mode. Not sure if the current motor mounts would need to be adjusted for a larger crate motor. First things first, I would need to sell the Ram which I may do. At least advertise it for sale and try my hand at the Ebay thing for the first time.

are you not replacing the motor in the SRT? I thaught you were going to keep the SRT and do the Blazer. now that's a tough decision the ram is really cool but the Blazer done up would be just as cool and maybe a bit more unique. glad I'm not the one who has to choose

Dave T(BADVENM) said:

Sell you V-10 and go with a built BBC in your Blazer, it'll be a hell of alot easier and just as fast/cool and you can use stock Chevy or easily obtainable aftermarket parts to mount it/hook it all up without having to hack it all up...that's what I would do.

Good points yellow fever. It would be alot easier and less expensive. I need to rebound a bit from this motor rebuild then focus on paying a few things off. in a few years I can go full throttle into the Blazer. I started the project in high school ('87) and need to finally finish her up.

I've seen several blazers with the 454 and 400 turbo tranny with 3/4 axles underneath. I'm not wheelin with it, just car showing it and leaving it to my son for him to learn to drive with in 12 years or so.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back