Question about Driving the SRT 10 in snow?

SRTZX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey all its been a while uncle same has had me overseas and just returning and now he is really giving it to me and making me leave sunny MacDill AFB FL. to get station in Cheyenne Wyoming!!! :dontknow:
Needless to say I am not happy about it but gotta do it. So question is what do I do with the Viper truck in the snow???
I have a 2005 QC and now I'm trying to decide if I should keep it our find me a AWD truck or SUV??? Any suggestions or advice would be great!

i would park the 10 & use the Escalade for snow duty
:rock: :rock: :bike: :bike: :playingball: :playingball: :rock: :D

Thanks for the inputs so far, do we have any Viper Truck owners in those areas of Wyoming, Colorado areas? I was also thinknig about maybe getting me one of those SRT8 Jeeps.

I would advise against driving it in the snow. This site is replete with comments about the problems with traction in wet conditions. Beyond that is the corrosive effects of the chemicals used to mitigate the slippery and frozen roads. If you want to keep the truck, consider getting a "beater" and storing the truck until the chemicals have been washed away by spring rains...lets see...spring in Cheyenne Wyoming...late May in a warm year!

And thanks for your service...we do appreciate it.

PROF, Thank you for the advice... I may do that the military will ship the truck so... I may do that...

Thank you

Lucky you (heavy sarcarsm)! I've been stationed here in Cheyenne for about 5.5 years now. There're going to be lots of weeks during the winter you won't be able to take the 10 out at all. Usually, the "big" snows don't come until Feb-Mar. This year we got snow at the end of May. It'll be nice to have another SRT on base though! We'll be the only 2 in town and Todd has one up in Casper which is about 2.5 hours away.

buy a beater with 4WD for snow. leave the 10 in the garage

I've driven mine in light slush, an inch or two accumulation and hard pack/ice. The latter is because the county snow removal $ucks. If you're careful and don't use 1st gear (RC) and there's not much on the ground, you'll be OK. Beyond an inch or two on the ground, things will get tougher if you ahve any hills to navigate...This winter I may buy a beater and park the 10. This past winter was a tough one even though I was stranded at times for two or three days waiting for the snow plow (FWIW) to come thru.

It will be fine, I know several people who drive them in snow... Just put some weight in the back, and well get some winter tires " thin " normal winter tires and you will be fine,,

Here in Colorado they use all sorts of crap on the roads in the winter. Its like a combination of dirt, sand, gravel, and some other stuff. Really helps the roads but is murder on the undercarriage and lower body panels. When I had mine here a few years ago I avoided wet weather like the plague but i agree with everyone else, with the right tires or proper weight in the back you might be ok. either way good luck and have a safe trip

One of my buddy's had a qc and said it was the worst vehicle he has ever driven in the snow and he grew up in Wisconsin. He sold it not long after that. Somebody wrecked a qc last Christmas Eve out on Highway 169 by my house in Owasso during a snow storm. Another fireman told me it got wadded up pretty good.

I drove late into the season before I stored it last year. They are terrible in the snow....too much power, and too squirrely. And yes, I can drive and yes I've lived here since the 80's. Like the guys say....one of the booming businesses in Montana and Wyoming is windshield repair because of all the rocks in the winter. Plus deicer, salt and God knows what else. It eats wheels and paint and anything else it sits on. The flying rocks alone will make you put it away if you want to save the paint.

Having said that....I can see putting big snow tires on, about 400 pounds in the bed and giving it a go....the drawback there is the low front clearance. Greater than 7 inches of snow is common and then the truck becomes a plow. So I store mine for the winter and drive my 4WD pickup.

Best wishes, and welcome to the northwest!!!!

if you have driven in the snow alot it is not a problem. there is a difference between driving with an inch or two on the ground and a foot though. it can do basically what any other 2 wheel drive pick up can do. before i had my QC though i had a mustang GT 5sp, 2wd dr p/u, vette, chevy caprice that i had driven in the snow.
going up hill is the biggest challenge

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back