Question about plugs wires and white smoke

Killemall

Reaction score
Very frustrated!

Installed a new cam in my 03 viper car and dnoed 556 rwhp with just the cam and bolt ons. Was very happy.

Then the next morning my buddy wanted a ride in the beaste and I noticed a very rough idle with excessive white smoke coming from the drivers side exhaust.

Since installing the new cam two weeks ago my plug wires keep coming off. I have Abs wires in yellow and I never had aproblem with them till now.

I changed the plugs today and made sure the wires were on nice and tight and the same thing again. White smoke from passengerside exhaust and running rough.

Pretty scared at this point... The afr was 13.0 so the tune seems good.. Dynoed strong just the day before. Any thoughts?

If some of my wires are bad could this actually cause the white smoke?

Depressing because the 556 rwhp felt insane. Now she seems like 450 rwhp...... Sigh......

:(:(:(
Very frustrated!

Installed a new cam in my 03 viper car and dnoed 556 rwhp with just the cam and bolt ons. Was very happy.

Then the next morning my buddy wanted a ride in the beaste and I noticed a very rough idle with excessive white smoke coming from the drivers side exhaust.

Since installing the new cam two weeks ago my plug wires keep coming off. I have Abs wires in yellow and I never had aproblem with them till now.

I changed the plugs today and made sure the wires were on nice and tight and the same thing again. White smoke from passengerside exhaust and running rough.

Pretty scared at this point... The afr was 13.0 so the tune seems good.. Dynoed strong just the day before. Any thoughts?

If some of my wires are bad could this actually cause the white smoke?

Depressing because the 556 rwhp felt insane. Now she seems like 450 rwhp...... Sigh......

White smoke is usually antifreeze! are ya loosing any antifreeze? or is it boiling in the overflow jug? Get it checked right away!! Don't drive it!!

Is it white smoke, steam or
Blueish white smoke?

Smoke just looks plain white to me...

Since cam install shes leaking power steering and seems to be aslight valve cover seal leak.

Ill make a vid so you guys can better help me.

Killemall said:

Since cam install shes leaking power steering and seems to be aslight valve cover seal leak.

Do that. It may help

A vid would help for sure, bit the loss of power is a big concern! Is your coolant low? Like slitherbeast said, white smoke is water/antifreeze, but I've seen steam from condensation that looks like white smoke when they are warming up too.

Go the easiest route to tell you what's wrong! Start by going to your nearest parts store and rent a compression tester if you don't already have one. Pull the plugs and check compression on that side of the engine. Might as well do them all really! I have a feeling that you were doing some pulls while this plug wire or wires were off, therefore losing spark, and possibly the mixture being lit by a hot spot on the piston and lighting the mixture during the worng phase of the stroke. Basically blowing the head gasket. I have done this personally unfortuneatly on a SC car before and it took all of 3 seconds to pop the headgasket. You have also changed the DYNAMIC COMPRESSION ratio of the engine, therefore increasing compression overall which can lead to easier detonation, followed by a headgasket or ring land:(
Hope this is not your case, really. Just some helpful info to get you the correct diagnosis. Compression test first!;)

who did the install? leakin covers, ps? oh but most likely a head gasket blown, IF its white, but do a leak down test, and or a compression test but no plugs and wires wont neccessarily do that, pull the plugs too, if you know what you are looking for if it is a coolant leak, in the head gasket, there will or should be residue on the plugs, coolant will foul out the plugs and cause a very rough idle depending on how bad the leak is

How many plug wires keep popping off? That has me baffled!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNeXs-1ZMjM]HELP LITTLE GIRL FIX HER VIPER! - YouTube[/ame]

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back