Question about the 48RE and Nitrous

nate-roth

Reaction score
I would like to run a 100-150 shot on my 05' QC. Ive read through the threads on the tranny and it's inherent weakness in handling nitrous. I run a wideband and pull timing, can read plugs, so I'm not that concerned with the motor, just the trans.

For many years I raced a 02' Trans Am on a 175hp shot. The car ran strong 11.10's. It had a bone stock tranny, the notoriously weak 4l60. The trick to making the 4l60 live all those years was to run a window switch turning off the nitrous 200-300 rpm before the shift thereby not stressing the tranny so much during shifts.

Would that logic hold true for the Dodge tranny? Or is the problem clamping force while in gear?

I'm not opposed to running a performance valve body to increase line pressure and/or a large external cooler. I also have a lot of racing experience and would not hot lap the truck, etc, etc.

I run a 150 shot and had no problems with the stock tranny till I outsmarted myself and started adding billet pieces to it. Although my problems were more related to a ****ty shift kit they installed. I dont hot lap it and change fluid and keep bands adjusted. I would recommend torque converter as a must have.

I run a 150 shot and had no problems with the stock tranny till I outsmarted myself and started adding billet pieces to it. Although my problems were more related to a ****ty shift kit they installed. I dont hot lap it and change fluid and keep bands adjusted. I would recommend torque converter as a must have.

Do you recommend the torque converter from merely a performance standpoint or something to do with reliability?

I'm ok with 2.0 60's if I can keep the stock tires as I do now. I don't get much if any wheel spin now. I plan on bring the nitrous in at about 3600 rpm. I'm afraid a stall would blow the tires off even N/A.

Goal for the truck is to be able to drive it to the track a few times a month, run 2-4 passes in the 12.50-12.70 range. Drive it home. As of right now I'm keeping full stock exhaust and full weight.

Im running 13.60 so I figure a 125hp shot should put me in the 12.50-12.70 range. I will use a nitrous plate from Nitrous Outlet, they tend to be stronger than the single fogger nozzle set ups at the same hp ratings.

I ran 12.2 with the Nitto 420's and even pulled a few 1.8 60ft times. I sprayed in 1st as soon as it hooked up.

You should be fine as long as you you keep tranny bands adjusted and fluid changeg.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back