question about upgrade gearbox

Dm911

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello,
today morning,i broke my chutch :rock:
for change it,i put back the gearbox and change the clutch and remplace it by an upgarde clutch

my question:does exist a kit for change the 5th and 6th gear ratio?(they're too long)
can you help me?

thank you

Change the rearend gears! then all gears will be less long

5/6 gear are not for pulling. They are to get rpms down to improve mileage. They are pretty weak gears to begin with. The 04's have 4.11 however the 05/06 have 4.56 rear end. 5th gear is .72 and 6th is .50 ratio. If you change the rear end gears to 4.88 you will notice a difference. However if you are full throttle through 5th gear, your going to be rolling!!! The rigs are pretty unstable at 140+ so be careful. You cant dodge potholes and animals at that speed.

;) If not mistaken, the 04s had that high overdrive gears as well as the 4.10s.
The 05-06 T56 had the .80 5th and .63 6th gears respectively., as well as harder 9010 or 9310 steel alloy and different cut on the gears to help from stripping teeth.

2.66:1
1.78:1
1.30:1
1.00:1
0.74:1
0.50:1
4.10:1 (2004)
4.56:1 (2005–06)

48RE

2.45:1
1.45:1
1:1.00
0.69:1

4.56:1

So i was off by .02 on the 5th gear.

Now hell the hell you know 6th in your truck is a .50 gear ratio? Where did you get this info?:hmmmm:

they guy that did some work on the trans and put the clutch in...

who retired from richmond gear after 30 years

who builds damn near all of the rear ends and trans's for the local tracks, clemson 4x4 and a bunch of other 4wd shops, and countless trans's/rears for mustangs, camaros, corvettes, vipers, etc.

around here he's "the t56 guy"...

Well before my T56 swap in my QC I did much research about the tranny and was told by Tremec that the "Truck T56" had different material gears with a different cut as well as the .80 5th and .63 6th gears to help with weight of the truck versus the car. Nothing on that reference said "Viper Truck" You can get the actual part # off the tranny and call Tremec with questions. Of course maybe it was their Janitor I talked with?:dontknow::D

I have found the WIKI to be wrong on several occasions regarding more than just SRT10s. I know Jeff had alot to do with the WIKI page and I AM NOT knocking him one bit! Accidents and wrong info are abundant in today's society of internet. Here is an example right off the page you referenced.

"Excluding the special editions, the 2004-2005 Ram SRT-10 came in three colors: Brilliant Black Crystal Pearl Coat, Bright Silver Metallic Clear Coat, and Flame Red Clear Coat. The redesigned 2006 Ram SRT-10 came in Mineral Gray Metallic, Inferno Red, and Brilliant Black Crystal Clear "

04-05 models ONLY came in PX8 Black Clearcoat. Never the Brilliant Black pearlcoat.

The overdrive gear ratios do exist and I really believe they were used in our trucks as the same power moving 3400 lbs, versus moving 5100 lbs is significant enough not to warranty a regular Viper car T56. The gear multiplication alone would destroy the gearbox trying to motivate 5100 lbs or in my case 5600 lbs. I would almost wager money this is fact without having heard from Tremec themselves.(Janitor, lol) Stronger alloy metal, different cut on the gears, and closer ratio 5th and 6th as well as the 4.10/4.56 rear gear lightens the load the tranny receives.:hmmmm:

i may call tremec myself to confirm this...i'm really curious now...

i would find it hard to believe, though, that tremec would send out, what, 5,000 transmissions that were different specs than the cars...

though, come to think of it, the viper cars have bronze shift pads and the trucks have plastic ones, right???...so maybe they did...

but mine clearly has the gen2 viper head stamp up by the shifter mount, so at least it's the right one:D

You guys can laugh at me, but I tested my truck tonight. 50mph in 4th (1:1 ratio) and the tach says 2500rpm. Upshift straight to 6th, and maintaining 50mph and tach drops to 1200-1300. This leads me to believe my '05 has a .50 gear for 6th.

hello,
the rear end ration is perfect for me at this time,but 6th gear is very long,does exist a kit for remplace it?
and a kit for Reinforcement or upgrade the gearbox?

any body have an adress,website or other????

thank you

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back