question bout engine temps and my setup

Streetgliderx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok fellas here is the run down... i got an 04 with mopar computer, mopar headers, magnaflows without cats, and a 170* t-stat... when sitting for long time idling as in a redlight or waiting on wife to fix her damn hair my truck climbs to 200* sometimes 210*... why even on a cool night of 52* does this happen?.... and i also noticed if i let it climb to these temps it is somewhat harder to get into reverse... what gives? let it cool and it takes reverse well... any help fellas?

Streetgliderx said:
ok fellas here is the run down... i got an 04 with mopar computer, mopar headers, magnaflows without cats, and a 170* t-stat... when sitting for long time idling as in a redlight or waiting on wife to fix her damn hair my truck climbs to 200* sometimes 210*... why even on a cool night of 52* does this happen?.... and i also noticed if i let it climb to these temps it is somewhat harder to get into reverse... what gives? let it cool and it takes reverse well... any help fellas?

Must be that the Mopar computer does like the stock computer and DOES NOT turn on the fan earlier.A DC Performance flash WILL turn it on sooner and keep the temps down.

if fan is not set to come on sooner the temp will go to 200 to 210 cause that is when fan comes on i have mine set to come on at 185 with a 172 thermostat ,,even in hot ass houston summer it only gets to 185 to 190 max

Streetgliderx said:

If you have just recently put in the thermostat, and are now having overheating problems, make sure all of the air is out of your cooling system so you don't have pockets of air in there.

210 is not out of the norm for an aluminum motor. Vipers tend to run on the warmer side of temp range as well. You could install a DC Performance thermostat if you prefer for it to run cooler.

i know all chevys i ever owned ran 210 so i was not worried it would melt but i was curious to know what could be done.. the thermostat was in when i bought the truck so its been awhile in there... and i was under the impression no other flashes could be performed on mopar ecus?

Streetgliderx said:
i know all chevys i ever owned ran 210 so i was not worried it would melt but i was curious to know what could be done.. the thermostat was in when i bought the truck so its been awhile in there... and i was under the impression no other flashes could be performed on mopar ecus?

I will still check to make sure there is no air in your system. The bleeder is easy to get at.

Streetgliderx said:
i'll look that over in the morninn thanks

If your engine is overheating and your thermostat is already wide open, a lower temperature one that is also already wide open won't really help... ;)
Work with watcha' got...

Last edited:
I have SCT tuner and 170 thermo. mine doesn't get over 180 anymore. Unless its 100 outside. Might think of gettin the flash and lower thermo, or the sct tuner with the 170 thermo.

It is prolly just the fan settings needs some work. The mopar flash might leave them on the stock turn on points. I set my to 180 target temp and it stays pretty close to 185 while sitting and 175 when rolling with the 170 theromo stat.

The harder to get into reverse could be the hyd needs to be bleed or or the fluid has boiled in it. Get the fan temps inline and bleed the hyd on the clutch really good. Your truck already has the viper master/viper slave with a centerforce clutch so all of that is covered.

me and john gotta hang out more he knows my new ride better than me!!!

can the mopar comp fan points be changed without a tuner?

hmmmm maybe i'll live with it then for a little longer... joe sold me a beautiful truck its everything he claimed and then some..... didnt you say you dyno'ed it? you wouldnt happen to have copies of the results would ya?

I don't have the dyno sheets anymore, but last time on the dyno it put 476HP and 525FT LBS torque to the rear wheels.

Have fun!

Later,:rock:

hey lookout there is joe!!!!... you never told me bout the sore cheeks i would get from grinin everytime i drive it!

Thought that was common knowledge when jumping in the baddest truck ever built:dontknow:

John02SS said:
LOL.......I'm pretty familiar with that truck! You would need a tuner to have them changed.

Fix it, would ya John! ;)
Or tell him to bring it up here to drive. It has dropped below freezing here at night already (a few times).
Really, the Mopar ECUs don't have modified fan settings?!!?? Performance application...Heat...Performance application...Heat, etc.
You would kinda think it would be a given the fan duty cycle be changed.

Last edited:
i spent my time north coldest i ever been was 62 below zero NEVER AGAIN.. i stayin in bama for winters

yeah, I've been here my whole life. I would freeze to death up there! I wouldn't know what to do when it started snowing! :D

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back