Question on Mid-Less Cats

moparman95

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is removing my mid cats going to effect my emmisions when its time to get tested??

Yes. Depending on where you live it will be an issue come inspection time. Not sure about AZ but in NY, without cats, unless you know the shop well, you will not pass.

In fact they are obligated to install cats if you dont have them by law here.

You can get catless mids with 02 mechanical sims that will avoid you throwing a code but if someone looks under the truck, you'll be SOL.

Damn.. I figured as much. Just making sure. Any suggestions on a good exhaust system? Should I bother going with a cat back? I bought the truck used, and it's true dual all the way back from the manifold. Do they come stock like that? Would it be better if I installed an H pipe, or an X pipe?? These trucks are new to me, I spent the last 10 years building/playing with 5.2/5.9's, and decided to upgrade to the big boys.

High flows or gutted cats should work....

moparman95 said:
Damn.. I figured as much. Just making sure. Any suggestions on a good exhaust system? Should I bother going with a cat back? I bought the truck used, and it's true dual all the way back from the manifold. Do they come stock like that? Would it be better if I installed an H pipe, or an X pipe?? These trucks are new to me, I spent the last 10 years building/playing with 5.2/5.9's, and decided to upgrade to the big boys.

I just installed the full B&B system.
http://www.bbexhaust.com/truck/srt10/

Its very nice and has a deep tone to it. It is a bit pricey but I have spent so much $ with magnaflow and powersticks and it was too loud.

You can go with magnaflow catback which has a real nice sound and cheap for under 700. Buy a set of catless mids or hi flow cats, get rid of second set of cats (useless). and you should be quite happy. You also gain 30-40 RWHP by doing this.

depends on how your state does the test, here in CT they just plug into the obd, if no codes you pass, I have the b+b and only 2 high flow cats and passed with flying colors

Yeeaaahhh... thats all they do in AZ to, until its a certain age, I think 7 years. Been a while since I was emmisioned cert. So, they just plug in the ODB, and the fuel cap test, up to 7 years. They use the sniffer when the vehicle is over 7 years old. I was just gonne get rid of the rear cats. I miss Florida.. no emmisions test. Being a Mopar guy for my whole life, I realized Mopar is a bit pricey, but this truck is BREAKING me!! LOL.

Awesome. Checked out the BB exhaust clips, and it ALMOST sounds like the one I have on there now. Wish I knew what I had on there!! One of the reasons I hate buying used stuff. Oh well. Maybe I will just go cheapo and find someone to hack off my rear cats until some cash starts to flow in.

RB04 said:
depends on how your state does the test, here in CT they just plug into the obd, if no codes you pass, I have the b+b and only 2 high flow cats and passed with flying colors
exactly check with you local inspection station first , ask the requirments,

but you can also make a flang on each side of the convertor, that way you can remove and replace when inspeciton is needed:)

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back