Questions about becoming a police officer?

quadster2005 said:
Seth, thats a pretty stupid statement stereotyping all cops as assholes. What a crock of sh!t. Yes the highway patrol loves writing tickets because thats theyre main job is traffic enforcement, but police and sheriffs have crime cars that go for more than writing tickets. How about taking rapists, murders, child molesters, wife beaters and so on to jail. God what assholes we are and we really dont make a difference. Yes there are cops that let the authority go to their heads, and quite frankly I cant stand people like this. But to say that we treat people like crap and avoid making a difference, thats just ignorant.

Read my post, I didn't say I hate them just said I didn't like them. They are a necessary part of society, and no matter what I will question why someone chooses a job whose primary function is to control their fellow countrymen. So save the screaming and insults for someone whose view you will change.

If you love it, do it! I have always had major respect for law enforcement. Good luck!

Fahrenheit said:
Become a firefighter, we get the same benefits as a cop without all the hate

Certainly an asset having Technical experience...I love the Tech Rescue Team...and the higher the rappel...the better.:rock: :rock:
oldpcpics202.jpg

camerabackup122007042.jpg

As Anthony said...hard to "waste" all that education for a mere 60K a year...on the bright side...you only work 9 days a month...giving you plenty of time off to pursue your own business/side job on your days off...most of us do in order to supplement the pay.;)
newcamerapics012.jpg

IMG_6578-1.jpg

EMT school is a "breeze"...bandaids for bleeding....so is the fire academy...wet stuff ...red stuff.:D

Regarding PD....I have had the honor of working with some of the best people I know...they will give you the shirt off your back...and are not assholes on calls or to people...we are here to help.
SWAT.jpg

Are there assholes in the line of duty...you bet your ass...name one profession that does not have at least one.:argh:

If you ever want to get a feel for what it is we do...and you find yourself on a vacation in FL...I can arrange for you to ride with us at the Firehouse.:D

seth said:
Read my post, I didn't say I hate them just said I didn't like them. They are a necessary part of society, and no matter what I will question why someone chooses a job whose primary function is to control their fellow countrymen. So save the screaming and insults for someone whose view you will change.

When I noticed you were from Va; I understood why you could have the opinion that you do. Va; is widely known even in the law enforcement community as being over aggressive(I was jailed there for going 61 in a 55).

I just wanted you to know that there are LEO's that consider it a position of honor and truely treat the public with courtesy and respect unless forced to act otherwise. To this day I feel that abusing one's authority results in nothing but further disrespect and alienation from the public whom we are intrusted to serve.

Acting like some kind of Gestapo robot and charging every person just because you can is wrong.

There is a difference between the letter of the law and the intent of the law.

For my entire career, I asked myself not just could I charge a person, but also SHOULD I charge a person, along with, to the best of my ability, treating every person the way I would want to be treated were I in their shoes.

To sum up, I suggest that you should give LEO's the same benifit of the doubt that they may be inclined to give you.

supercar1of1 said:

To sum up, I suggest that you should give LEO's the same benifit of the doubt that they may be inclined to give you.

That's exactly what I do, and why I usually end up treating them with disrespect by the time it's said and done. I treat them just as they treat me, good or bad.

OCBob said:
That's exactly what I do, and why I usually end up treating them with disrespect by the time it's said and done. I treat them just as they treat me, good or bad.

Have you ever tried writing a letter to their chief and ask what probable cause or even reasonable suspicion his people had for stopping you, and their demeanor. As clever as you seem to be, I'm surprised that you don't have one of the tiny voice recorders(that many of us have) to record any unjust behavior on their part.

I treat every sworn officer with respect. (Until they retire...:p )

It is a thankless profession. But it is the organization the keeps us from living in anarchy. There are problems, but the absence of the profession is unthinkable.

I would never be able to put up with the bull shit some people give to them.

LEO's rock!

supercar1of1 said:

Have you ever tried writing a letter to their chief and ask what probable cause or even reasonable suspicion his people had for stopping you, and their demeanor. As clever as you seem to be, I'm surprised that you don't have one of the tiny voice recorders(that many of us have) to record any unjust behavior on their part.

If you did that in Virginia you would have committed a crime. It is against the law to record LEO during a traffic stop. They have sent people to jail (one very recently) who recorded the cops during a stop.

I absolutely agree with the comment about VA. When I was in NY I was a huge donor to PBA causes and the such. Now I actively campaign to reduce their budget.

supercar1of1 said:

That ain't my style John, I think you know that hhehe. I just grin and bear it.

theres good cops and bad cops...
theres good tuners and bad tuners...
theres good people and bad people...
theres good waiters and bad waiters...
theres good managers and bad managers...

I have plenty of friends that are police officers, 98% of these guys are normal joe's...some view it as a job some view it as a way to make a difference. If I am ever pulled over I am nice, respectful but assertive. If i know i broke the law am I supposed to get mad at someone for doing there job????? If I feel like i get pulled over for a bogus reason, i tell them I disagree and realize they have a tough job to do, usually goes along way...

when i was 17 i hated cops because we would try to skateboard or go and drink in areas we werent allowed, they hassled us, we tought they were dicks...now that I am a father and an adult I realize I would have punched me in the face...let alone gone to jail or get a ticket

seth said:
If you did that in Virginia you would have committed a crime. It is against the law to record LEO during a traffic stop. They have sent people to jail (one very recently) who recorded the cops during a stop.

I absolutely agree with the comment about VA. When I was in NY I was a huge donor to PBA causes and the such. Now I actively campaign to reduce their budget.

How can it be illegal to record a conversation that you are a party to?

Sounds like they are just out of control up there.

NBT said:
Certainly an asset having Technical experience...I love the Tech Rescue Team...and the higher the rappel...the better.:rock: :rock:
As Anthony said...hard to "waste" all that education for a mere 60K a year...on the bright side...you only work 9 days a month...giving you plenty of time off to pursue your own business/side job on your days off...most of us do in order to supplement the pay.;)
EMT school is a "breeze"...bandaids for bleeding....so is the fire academy...wet stuff ...red stuff.:D

Regarding PD....I have had the honor of working with some of the best people I know...they will give you the shirt off your back...and are not assholes on calls or to people...we are here to help.

Are there assholes in the line of duty...you bet your ass...name one profession that does not have at least one.:argh:

If you ever want to get a feel for what it is we do...and you find yourself on a vacation in FL...I can arrange for you to ride with us at the Firehouse.:D

If I come back to florida im staying lol, god I miss living there! And 60 aint to shabby in my opinion especially if you have a wife helping out with the bills too ya know. You really only work 9 days outta the month seriously?? And i guess my only other question is i know of the first responder program but where in gods name is the fire fighter school at?? Just never really considered these opportunities until recent when well making 30k at a office seems like wtf in current times and most likely the future. Plus with the job markets moving overseas mostly now I find that nice office work is harder to find and or even get without being a temp and then hopin that you get hired. Really wanna move outta this crappy state to a warm climate dam woman wont budge! IL sucks for work, housing, and well everything else! Want to move to TX but well its a dream currently due to the little lady.
Bet I could find work there and a decent priced home geeze...

Venom Power said:
DON'T DO IT!!! It's not worth the hassle or pay.. Believe me, I've been there long enough to learn there IS something better out there.. But if you're cut out for it, then by all means.. But it'll open your eyes and change you.. Likely for worse..

I've been an officer for 8 years, and it is the best...and i cleared $110,000 with overtime in 2008. It's def not for everyone, but if you can take the wacky hours its great. And i'll retire at 45 years old:D

quadster2005 said:
Seth, thats a pretty stupid statement stereotyping all cops as assholes. What a crock of sh!t. Yes the highway patrol loves writing tickets because thats theyre main job is traffic enforcement, but police and sheriffs have crime cars that go for more than writing tickets. How about taking rapists, murders, child molesters, wife beaters and so on to jail. God what assholes we are and we really dont make a difference. Yes there are cops that let the authority go to their heads, and quite frankly I cant stand people like this. But to say that we treat people like crap and avoid making a difference, thats just ignorant.

:dito:

I find that most people that bash cops (at least around my area) are the ones who couldn't get into the academy...or got in and lasted 2 days.

FastSRT19 said:
I've been an officer for 8 years, and it is the best...and i cleared $110,000 with overtime in 2008. It's def not for everyone, but if you can take the wacky hours its great. And i'll retire at 45 years old:D

I think my problem is going to be actually trying to get in. Here in IL for some god forsaken reason it is supp really hard to get a job as a fire fighter or police officer. Im going to have to start making police friends I believe to get that back door hand shake into a possible job. No worries on what some of the other members think of officers, I respect them even if they do ticket alot for retarded reasons lol but hey we all have bad days and for officers I do understand the stress and craziness surrounding the job. I think im gonna start researching this a bit more and see maybe if I can get lucky! plus i have to talk the little lady into the idea, she didn't seem too happy with me thinking about this again lol.

GotRidOfTheHemiForThis said:
I think my problem is going to be actually trying to get in. Here in IL for some god forsaken reason it is supp really hard to get a job as a fire fighter or police officer. Im going to have to start making police friends I believe to get that back door hand shake into a possible job. No worries on what some of the other members think of officers, I respect them even if they do ticket alot for retarded reasons lol but hey we all have bad days and for officers I do understand the stress and craziness surrounding the job. I think im gonna start researching this a bit more and see maybe if I can get lucky! plus i have to talk the little lady into the idea, she didn't seem too happy with me thinking about this again lol.

Try getting in the door as a 911 dispatcher first. That is what i did at 18 and it helped BIG time when it came to the hiring process. And i work 11-14 days a month. Every other weekend is a 3 day weekend. Either off Fri, Sat, Sun or Sat, Sun, Mon.:rock: Makes lots of time to mess with the SRT:D

The town i work in tried to disband the Police Department a few years back....the response from the town citizens was amazing. The town hall was so packed at meeting time it had to be moved to a local motel's rental hall:D

Its a thankless job. If you really wanna do it be prepared for everyone to hate you. I make really really good money for my area. I pulled in 41k with overtime last year. I'm 21 years old and I don't think I could ever had asked for a better job. I can honestly say I have fun everyday at work. There's not many places you can go and say that. If I was actually in good enough shape, I would've been a fire fighter. Why? Because everyone loves them. Everybody hates my ass even some of my family members. I don't think most people realize how others really feel about us until they are on the receiving end.

BurntRubber said:
theres good cops and bad cops...
theres good tuners and bad tuners...
theres good people and bad people...
theres good waiters and bad waiters...
theres good managers and bad managers...

I have plenty of friends that are police officers, 98% of these guys are normal joe's...some view it as a job some view it as a way to make a difference. If I am ever pulled over I am nice, respectful but assertive. If i know i broke the law am I supposed to get mad at someone for doing there job????? If I feel like i get pulled over for a bogus reason, i tell them I disagree and realize they have a tough job to do, usually goes along way...

when i was 17 i hated cops because we would try to skateboard or go and drink in areas we werent allowed, they hassled us, we tought they were dicks...now that I am a father and an adult I realize I would have punched me in the face...let alone gone to jail or get a ticket

t:rock: yep.....I dont hate cops or dislike them...I just cant stand the ones that get all tough and threatning on you... My brother is joining the LAPD and I couldnt be happier for him. I reallly wish I was able to pursue a career in law enforcement if it were nt for my back

Back