Quick and simple question.

amartin3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This may sound like a dumb question, but since this is the first oil change that my truck is going to get since I got it from the dealership, WHAT WOULD BE THE BEST OIL TO USE (BOTH BRAND AND NUMBER PLEASE). Thank you in advance for any suggestions. :)

Personal preferences will dictate this. I use:

Mobil 1 Synethic (10W-30) for Trucks & SUV's, buy at Walmart.
Lucas Synthetic Oil Additive. I use 2 qts with 6.5 qts of Mobil 1.

Hope this helps.

amartin3 said:
This may sound like a dumb question, but since this is the first oil change that my truck is going to get since I got it from the dealership, WHAT WOULD BE THE BEST OIL TO USE (BOTH BRAND AND NUMBER PLEASE). Thank you in advance for any suggestions. :)
It's hard to go wrong with the Mobile One mentioned on your oil cap.
Welcome to da club!:rock:

amartin3 said:
I forgot to mention. It has 10,500 miles right now. Thanks.

I sure hope you did not buy it new. 10,500 miles is a little high for a first oil change.:(

What year is your truck? O4's called out for 10 - 30 Mobil One. 05's called out 0 - 30 Mobil One. Not sure on 06's but I'm sure someone will fill you in.

O6's call out Mobil1 0w-40! Dude even though they say every 10,000 ( I heard the same garbage) you should change it every 3-5000 Max. The breakdown in viscosity still occurs at the higher heat levels. I'm still running the 200 degree thermostat and I change mine every 3000 to protect the motor.
Just my opinion!:D

welcome to the board, i just changed my oil. I used mobil 1 synethic 10w-30

Rockin Ronnie said:
O6's call out Mobil1 0w-40! Dude even though they say every 10,000 ( I heard the same garbage) you should change it every 3-5000 Max. The breakdown in viscosity still occurs at the higher heat levels. I'm still running the 200 degree thermostat and I change mine every 3000 to protect the motor.
Just my opinion!:D

DC performance makes sure it's changed every 3k

My 05 QC has 0w-40 on the oil cap, but the guy at autozone told me that was way too thin (that it is only used when the engine is new to break it in). I really did not know if you are supposed to change from what is on the oil cap, so I wanted to double check. It's not the first oil change since new; its the first one due since I got it.

Yeah...and the guys at AutoZone own how many Viper-engined vehicles? :D
If the cap says "0W-40", go with that.

(PSSSST....WalMart has it cheaper than AutoZone. :) )

Kevan said:

Oh man! I should have go to walmart instead of autozone :mad: lol

DRamSrt10 said:
Oh man! I should have go to walmart instead of autozone :mad: lol
Do you know how much money the "Search" button on this site has saved me?
Enough to keep the truck gassed up for a very, VERY long time.

Kevan said:

05 cap and book says Mobil 1 0W-40.
Also remember why synthetics became popular?
Cause you don't have to change it every 3000 miles cause it doesn't break down as quick or leave sludge deposits if it sets a lot!
After reading a few articles have came to the conclusion the 0W-40 is used primarily to produce better Horsepower numbers which it does.

Kevan said:
Do you know how much money the "Search" button on this site has saved me?
Enough to keep the truck gassed up for a very, VERY long time.

Ahh, i didnt use the "search". I think I better start use it which is right now. lol

Ok. sounds good. thanks for the input guys.
Any input on the difference between brands of oil filters (ex. Fram and K&N)? I already bought the K&N gold filter, but just curious if it really matters when you change synthetic oil every 3000 miles.

Kevan said:

(PSSSST.... Sams club has it cheaper than Walmart ) not much cheaper but it is cheaper.:) :)

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back