VENOMOUS1 RACING

Has Left the Room - Banned from VTCOA!
Reaction score
shelbyglhs.jpg

shelbyglhs1.jpg

shelbyglhs2.jpg

shelbyglhs4.jpg

shelbyglhs5.jpg

Just thought I'd share another special car of mine. She will soon be undergoing restoration and be back in "Kill Mode"
She is my 1987 Shelby GLHS Charger:rock: My baby is #241 of 1000 100% identical cars:D
All were Black with SHelby logos, all were 5 speed GETRAG tranny, all had manual windows, locks and a manual removable sunroof.
In 1987 the fastest American production car was the Buick Grand National GNX, and the SHelby GLHS would outrun those:chain: It surprised so many Ferraris, Porsche, and all the Vettes and Mustangs you could throw at her. She was fast BONE STOCK!!
Koni Shocks that were gas adjustable on 4 corners made her ride like a Porsche as well. The Getrag 5 speed and gearing made it a street beast that would make the biggest big block cars go WTF?? It was a 2.2 Turbo Intercooled 4 banger that was blessed with Shelby's tuning and looks. The closest race I had back then believe it or not was a Mitsubushi Conquest TSI and believe it was an 87' as well. It gave me the best run for my money and was an impressive looking car as well for the era.
Just thought I'd share and learn yall about a time when Carroll Shelby left Ford and followed his Bud, Lee Iacoca to Chrysler and glad he did as he created a small number of Dodge based vehicles that were worthy of the SHelby name:rock:
Shelby Automobiles also was the first to implant a V8 in the little Dakota and it was the beginning of a new era in Muscle Trucks for sure!
Here's some more info on her.
87 GLHS Info

My first car was a 1984 charger. Guy I got it from painted it Viper blue with some metallic. Mine was much slower than yours lol. I always had plans of setting mine up this way but got hit buy a drunk driver so gave up that idea. It's amazing how much 4 bangers were puttin out back then.

I had a red/silver regular Shelby Charger, modded, it was real fun....good luck with it...

:rock::rock::rock:

i remember them. sharp car. an "older" guy at work bought it. got rid of it a couple of months cause "he couldn't handle it"

Right now they are climbing back up in value, as RIP Carroll Shelby passed last year or year before. Only worth what the collector wants to spend. I've seen them retrieve their original value of $13,500 lately. Been offered $6500 for mine as is. Course I won't sell, lol.

They were very fast cars that were under rated power wise and performance stat wise as to slip under govt radar. ;)
Still could get 25-27 mpgs as well.

:rock::rock::rock:

i remember them. sharp car. an "older" guy at work bought it. got rid of it a couple of months cause "he couldn't handle it"

Just as many of ours have been totaled due to driver inability, many of these were the same way. I believe 200 of 1000 were donated to SCCA racers, clubs, etc. so they are very rare.

Its a very cool as as they are so rare. I started looking them up and you can find them from 3 grand to 14 depending on miles and condition. Actually makes me want to buy one..

They are the OG turbo cars along with the Syclone, Typhoon, 89' GTA Turbo Trans Am, and Buick Grand National.:rock:

Back around '88 I traded my ex's Plymouth Champ and some dough for a '83 Shelby Charger..Sante Fee Blue with the Shelby logo interior..5spd of course with a sunroof. Drove it for about two years and then it started nickel and dime me to death..electrical shorts, brake problems, etc..so sold it for around $1600 to a guy in town.

Few weeks later a tow truck company called me and wanted to know when I was going to pay this towing bill including storage fees..I said what??.I told him I sold the car about a month earlier. Needless to say I called the buyer and explained the situation. I guess he didn't really get around and register the car (normally five days from sale), instead gave it to his niece. She drove over a pass and the engine blew he said and had to have it towed. Well he said I'll take care of it and never heard from him or the towing company again. Just glad to unload that money pit...

Attachments

• 1983 Shelby Charger.jpg
    1983 Shelby Charger.jpg
    335.9 KB · Views: 5,474
Back around '88 I traded my ex's Plymouth Champ and some dough for a '83 Shelby Charger..Sante Fee Blue with the Shelby logo interior..5spd of course with a sunroof. Drove it for about two years and then it started nickel and dime me to death..electrical shorts, brake problems, etc..so sold it for around $1600 to a guy in town.

Few weeks later a tow truck company called me and wanted to know when I was going to pay this towing bill including storage fees..I said what??.I told him I sold the car about a month earlier. Needless to say I called the buyer and explained the situation. I guess he didn't really get around and register the car (normally five days from sale), instead gave it to his niece. She drove over a pass and the engine blew he said and had to have it towed. Well he said I'll take care of it and never heard from him or the towing company again. Just glad to unload that money pit...

Yeah that was I believe the first year and Shelby allowed Dodge to use his name and logo the car and seats. It was carbureted and was not quite the car the GLHS was but identical body and cladding. Much faster TurboIV injection system made the GLHS (Go Like Hell Shelby) :)
Some say (Goes Like Hell Some more)

Ive got one too, bought it about 6 months ago from a friend and still havent picked it up lol, Ill probably have it for sale soon as I dont have time to mess with it. Its complete and all stock but has a rod knock.
Justin

Ive got one too, bought it about 6 months ago from a friend and still havent picked it up lol, Ill probably have it for sale soon as I dont have time to mess with it. Its complete and all stock but has a rod knock.
Justin

Is it a Shelby GLHS ? Or a Blue/Silver , Red/Silver, black/Silver one Justin?

The only things that came out of that 80's that look good to me were the Buick Grand Nationals, and myself of course :D but that is an awesome car with Shelby Heritage... if I ever find an original Shelby Dakota for a decent price I'm buying it :rock:

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back