RC Rear Diff Service Question

FastRam

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have my truck at my local dealer for another reason. While it was there I figured I'd have them perform the rear diff fluid change/service. I asked for a quote before they proceeded with this work. Glad I did as IMHO, $200 is a bit much -- $55 for labor and the rest is for fluids/additives and the "other" fees/taxes. My question is how many quarts of oil and how many bottles of additives do I need?

i always used one bottle of additive then fill it up with fluid

I used the Royal Purple had to buy 3 bottles and travel 100 miles to get it and they gave me a deal---already has additive .....no where near 200 to do it yourself ---easy job to do....

Yep, this weekend's "project". And at $200 clams I didn't think gear oil was that expensive. I used to do my own maintenace on my Chevy and figured when I saw the two plugs on the diff cover -- good deal there -- can't be that difficult...

Also, I checked the owners manual and they aren't specific on oil quantity. All they say is fill it with SAE 90W plus 5oz of additive until the level is 3/4" +/- 1/4" below the plug hole for the DANA M60 HD/248 mm rear axle. So I guess I buy four or five quarts and return the rest or keep the excess for a "rainy day".

IMO the synthetic oils are not up to the task for the differential gears. Every rear that I have used it in always has an excess of metal particles in it when I service it the next time. Unless you are racing and looking for every possible advantage, I would stick with the dino oil in a differential.

alexspop said:
IMO the synthetic oils are not up to the task for the differential gears. Every rear that I have used it in always has an excess of metal particles in it when I service it the next time. Unless you are racing and looking for every possible advantage, I would stick with the dino oil in a differential.
:rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:

I have over 100K on my SRT. I've done all my own servicing including the rear end. I've used Mopar recommend fluid each time I've serviced it but added an additional bottle of antislip additive. I buy my fluids through our listed Vendor Avondale Dodge.

As for the amounts...you'll need 3qts but will have about 1/2qt left over. I don't remove the rear cover. I simply run the truck to warm up the rear diff fluid then drain with drain bolt and fill till level with the fill bolt. Takes all of 10 min if you do some cleaning and wiping of the rear differential housing while you are under the truck.

I dropped the spare tire which gives more access for servicing the diff. and check the spare over while I,m in there.

I've been looking around for straight 90W, stopped by Autozone and Advance Autoparts on the way home tonight. Neither stock 90W and dealing with the folks behind the counter didn't give me a warm and fuzzy even if I tried to order it. I found straight 90W at Grainger. Tomorrow, I'll try calling around to "real" autoparts stores to find 90W.

I did a site search and found many use differing grades of diff oil. So far, I've seen the straight 90W, 80W-90, 75W-90 and 75W-140 along with variations and quantities of friction modifiers. After reading through several search pages, I am more confused than when I started. But, new question: besides the straight 90W, what is the consensus on the best or most durable fluid/additive use for a daily driver application? If I can't find straight 90W, I am thinking about using a synthetic 75W-140 (Mopar or Mobil 1) with two bottles of Mopar's friction modifier. Will this be OK?

I use Shell Rotella 85w-140 with 2 bottles of the friction additive. You should be able to get the oil at any Walmart.

With the exception of still having to check with WalMart, I've just about given up on trying to find straight 90W. This stuff and it's availability, around me, seems to be "true black gold", lol.

I did talk this morning with Mobil 1 and they advised me not to use the 90W SAE oil Grainger offers (Mobil SHC-630). Apparently that fluid is for industrial or machine bearing and gear applications and does not include the necessary additives for automotive use. So, I asked the Mobil 1 tech guy "what is the next best mix or synthetic that I can use besides straight 90W". They suggested 80W-90. I also called a shop that does a lot of performance rear end/diff work, who I used previously. They also suggested 80W-90.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back