rear brake pad removal HELP!

sapientiam

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so i can not get the rear brake pads off my 2005 qc. What is the secret?!?
Please HELP!!!

The first one was hard to figure out, but it's really easy after you do one. There are two bolts that hold the caliper on the mounting bracket. The first tendancy is to remove bracket and all, don't do that. Take the two bolts out and then the capliper either gets pushed upwards or downwards, I forget which and comes right off. It's been a while since I did mine, but I definitely recall that it's easier than I was trying to make it at first.

If you still can't figure it out, let me know I'll give you my number and we'll figure it out.

i can get the caliper off, i can't get the brake pads out of the caliper. ;(

i've tried sliding them every which way even upside down this past hour. it just won't come out. it looks to be locked in.

what i ended up doing, is i took out the two caliper mounting bolts, then i undid the other two bolts, that holds the two caliper pieces togeather. once those bolts are out, you can slide the caliper apart, and the brake pads will just come right out, and then fiddle with it for bout 10 minutes to get it back togeather, and then just bolt it all back down. Which is completely different than the front ones, which you just take the caliper off, and they pop right off.

total time, including two trips to town, because our mexican made trucks use metric on the wrenchs, 5 hrs.... Though i did get a phone number while i was in walmart the second time.

size 18, and 21 sockets. make sure you have some muscle power, i struggled on couple bolts, and have beer. And a flash light if you're 'special' like me.

somebody who knows more than me, should write up nice detail instructions and post them. I believe we need an entire section of locked instructions on DIY items. imho. :beer:

The service manual also has pretty detailed instructions on this, as I recall. I'm not sure you actually have to loosen/remove those two large bolts on the rear calipers. Seems to me you can just remove the two small ones and the caliper comes apart, although I don't remember that for sure. On the front, you do not have to remove the calipers at all. If you remove the large allen head bolt and the two spring clips you can remove the pads and replace them with out removing the calipers.

Last edited:
my leaf spring kept me from removing the top smaller bolt on the rear caliper. Maybe the lowered trucks that isn't in the way. service manual was worthless!, i printed out all those pages didn't do a thing for me, so i ended up setting it on fire. i was playing with brake cleaning fluid....

You will need to remove the caliper from its mounting plate, and then remove the 2 bolts to split apart the caliper. It is the quickest way.

Bill.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back