Rear cats

sirhc76

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went to 4 muffler shops today all local non chain types and one real hole in the wall place. I talked to them about getting the rear cats cut out and replaced with straight pipe. Nobody wanted to do it. I was polite and tried not to act like the undercover cop and even tried to talk shop. One told me that it would void my warranty. Told him that I talked to a service person at my dealer who said just don’t remove the fronts and Im fine. He then said that it was against the law to change or remove anything. I read the Texas law prior and it seems to read must have a cat per pipe not two. I discussed this with him and he said well federal law says blah blah blah. I almost had him to the point of OK I will do it. He kept saying well it’s kind of a gray area in the law. To me gray is good don’t ask don’t tell style. Can the shops get in legal trouble for this even if it’s not a state or county law? I guess I’ll have to wait until I go home to BFE Texas and get my guy there to tell me he will cut it off at the manifold if I want to run it. Or this may be a good reason to get that MIG welder that I have been holding out on.

I don't know about Texas, but here in Ohio it is a very big deal if you (as a repair shop) are caught disabling the emissions systems. I have been fortunate enough to have found a place where I can get work done as a result of other acquaintances and it always cash payment.

You'll most likely have to find a friend to help with that one. It's unlikely that a shop that doesn't know you will even touch it. They have too much at risk.

Good Luck.

ViperTruck2933 said:
Buy a set of catless mids or mids with high flow cats and put them in yourself. ;)

Ditto.

This approach with a little planning will allow you to go catless, then when it is time for inspection insert the high flow cats, then take them out after the inspection. Lots of us have this process in place.

its agianst the law everywhere, just depends on where you live if they inspect them on a yearly basis if at all. in alabama they dont inspect so i had a muffler shop do it for 50.00 he kept the cats so he could sell them to someone else. also ket it on the down low. find a teenager with a truck with loud pipes they can point you in the right direction.

The wording on the Tx dps site is so vague, lets leave so much gray area that we can write a citation if needed. I guess this will be a good excuse to get that MIG or TIG I have always wanted. I'll have the builder working on my new house run in a 208 line drop for the garage. What is the price on a set of catless mids and Im guessing sims are needed. I found x metals high flow mids. How are they flanged on the downstream end or do you have to mod this for swapping them out?

Thanks all,

Chris

Remove them yourself and have someone else put the pipe in. Like those guys told you, THEY can't remove it. Thats what my exhaust guy always has me do. ;)

You can open the exhaust behind the cat, take a rod & hammer knock all the crap out, fire up the truck blow all the crap out the pipe via hit the gas , put it back together. no cats, but looks like cats!!

on the nff sight a guy is trying to unload catless mids and he has sold his truck , he has said to make an offer

I think he wants to sell it all as a package. I thought about this since I need a PCM as well but really dont need the other parts and it would be a stretch getting the wife to let me buy it all. I did however talk her into allowing me to buy a PCM, told her it will give me better mileage. I dont have access to all the tools that I once had when I actually worked and got my hands dirty. I would just unbolt plasma the cats open remove the crap and tig them back together. Maybe my key still works on the shop door late night sneak in, Ill tell them I forgot something 8 years ago.

Ditto

sirhc76 said:
I think he wants to sell it all as a package. I thought about this since I need a PCM as well but really dont need the other parts and it would be a stretch getting the wife to let me buy it all. I did however talk her into allowing me to buy a PCM, told her it will give me better mileage. I dont have access to all the tools that I once had when I actually worked and got my hands dirty. I would just unbolt plasma the cats open remove the crap and tig them back together. Maybe my key still works on the shop door late night sneak in, Ill tell them I forgot something 8 years ago.

My wife thinks all my MODS increase milage, even the NOS. However even if they did, I'd have to put 800,000 miles on the truck to get some kind of payoff.

Or you can gut your cats in your new mids and have them install it that way.

Try to make a good relationship with another shop. What about others in TX? Surely someone can send you to the right place.

How close are you to Abilene, TX?

Im right outside of Austin so about 3 hours away from Abilene. I have family stationed at Dyess flying C130s. The BFE town I mentioned is just south of there and I have a guy there that will cut the entire exhaust if I asked. Looks like I have some options Im thinking the most logical one is to go buy a Mig this weekend. This way I will get a welder and the ability to play with my exhaust. I only agreed to no mods on the truck not the tool collection. I was lucky today and found a viper tech on the Roe page that is 30 minutes away. He has 172 tstats in stock so Im making a trip down there tomorrow.

SGTFRY said:
You can open the exhaust behind the cat, take a rod & hammer knock all the crap out, fire up the truck blow all the crap out the pipe via hit the gas , put it back together. no cats, but looks like cats!!

That same method worked well on a Turbo Eclipse I once knew :)

-t

SGTFRY said:

i was gonna do that but the drivers side is after a bend and i cant figure out how to get to it. :dontknow:

clean them cats

Stanimal said:
i was gonna do that but the drivers side is after a bend and i cant figure out how to get to it. :dontknow:
Try a plummers snake, the kind you can spin, with a root cutting head:D

ViperTruck2933 said:
Buy a set of catless mids or mids with high flow cats and put them in yourself. ;)

Ditto again, just buy boomers catless mids , I decided to make my own and in the end with all that i spent in materials and time invested i could of just spent a lil more and had some real nice one piece pipes. Just buy em' i learned the hard way

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back