Rear end gear swap

MassRiper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok now I'm loosing my mind. I have a 2004 rc with the factory 4.10s. I talked to tony and ordered a ordered a set a factory 4.56s and the correct bearing set to install them about 2 years ago. Well I didn't receive the correct bearings apparently and ended up paying $700 to have my stock gears re installed. I gave up on doing the swap until recently and contacted tony again to get the "right bearing set" this time. Now for the second time have my truck pulled apart with the incorrect bearings to make the conversion. Does anyone know the bearing combinations to make this swap work so I can source locally and not waist more time and money?

I can not believe Tony would send the incorrect bearings... If you take the tag# from the differential to your favorite Diff repair/parts store, You can verify which bearings you need. You may want to question the competancy of whoever you have doing this swap..... Talk to Tony! He is good people he will make it right.....

I apologize, I tried to edit this post but doesn't look like I'm able to? I agree Tony is a great guy, and I'm sure he will do what he can to make this right, as he did help me on the cost of this second bearing set due to the first attempt gone wrong. It just set me off (rereading my original post clearly I was so mad I couldn't even compose a logical sentence) that this is the second time my truck is ripped apart with the wrong parts. I'm starting to think possibly the gear set might be incorrect. I obviously should have checked everything before starting the install so that's on me this time. The first time I sent the truck to a shop to install the gears and after it was apart he advised that the bearing set was incorrect to do the install. I am doing it myself this time with the help of a friend who's done many gear installs. The bearing that goes on the pinion(gear side) does not go on as the diameter of the pinion is too large/bearing to small, it's not even close. The bearing (and shims) that would go on the yoke side does seem to be correct. So I'm at a loss at this point.

I apologize, I tried to edit this post but doesn't look like I'm able to? I agree Tony is a great guy, and I'm sure he will do what he can to make this right, as he did help me on the cost of this second bearing set due to the first attempt gone wrong. It just set me off (rereading my original post clearly I was so mad I couldn't even compose a logical sentence) that this is the second time my truck is ripped apart with the wrong parts. I'm starting to think possibly the gear set might be incorrect. I obviously should have checked everything before starting the install so that's on me this time. The first time I sent the truck to a shop to install the gears and after it was apart he advised that the bearing set was incorrect to do the install. I am doing it myself this time with the help of a friend who's done many gear installs. The bearing that goes on the pinion(gear side) does not go on as the diameter of the pinion is too large/bearing to small, it's not even close. The bearing (and shims) that would go on the yoke side does seem to be correct. So I'm at a loss at this point.

Measure pinion yokes to see if same size first boss. If so then either wrong bearing or you need to freeze bearing first.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back