Rear end gears

So im taking a guess and saying I suppose there isnt anyone on here with some 4.88 gears for sale is there?

"going mach 2 with my hair on fire!"

What ever gears you decide on call Devin at unitrax, he'll get you everything you need an a better price than anyone here(like they just get the gears from unitrax, Mark them up and resell them to you)

What ever gears you decide on call Devin at unitrax, he'll get you everything you need an a better price than anyone here(like they just get the gears from unitrax, Mark them up and resell them to you)
Man I for sure appreciate the info on that. I will give him a call. So what exactly is everything im gonna need to properly do this swap? Ring and pinion gears and what else? bearings?

Man I for sure appreciate the info on that. I will give him a call. So what exactly is everything im gonna need to properly do this swap? Ring and pinion gears and what else? bearings?

I really don't remember, it's been a long time since I priced everything. I know it cost me about 300 when I toasted the carrier and limited slip in mine. That was a new carrier, New limited slip and bearings.

If you have never done a diff before, best leave it to the professionals. The kit will need assorted side shims and pinion shims,Pinion bearings.,rear pinion seal . should also get a new pinion nut. of course it will come with crown gear and new bolts and pinion gear. reuse the same carrier if you go from 4.10 to 4.56. to go to 4.88 you will need a new carrier.

If you have never done a diff before, best leave it to the professionals. The kit will need assorted side shims and pinion shims,Pinion bearings.,rear pinion seal . should also get a new pinion nut. of course it will come with crown gear and new bolts and pinion gear. reuse the same carrier if you go from 4.10 to 4.56. to go to 4.88 you will need a new carrier.
Awesome info. Thanks alot man. Yea ive got a buddys dad who was a mechanic for 20+ years and has messed with numerous rear ends that im gonna get to do the install for me. Im gonna also take the advice to call Unitrax and get the products from there. I will make sure I get everything that you just mentioned. I appreciate the detailed response. Thats exactly what I was looking for.

So with all that you just described that im gonna need including the 4.88 ring and pinion gear, what would be your best guess at what all that is gonna cost me? Im gonna try to call this evening to Unitrax to get an exact amount but im just wondering

You can get a master kit that will have most everything in terms of bearings, seals, and shims. Being a Dana 60 you will need an extra set of carrier side bearings. Why ? Well because with Dana 60's and many other Dana's the shims are BETWEEN the side bearings and the carrier so you need to take your spare set and grind on the inside of the race so it will just slip on/off. Then when you get your clearances set you can take your other set and press them on.

You can get gears and all that stuff from Randy's Ring and Pinion. as well, they really know Dana 60's.

--CC

You can get a master kit that will have most everything in terms of bearings, seals, and shims. Being a Dana 60 you will need an extra set of carrier side bearings. Why ? Well because with Dana 60's and many other Dana's the shims are BETWEEN the side bearings and the carrier so you need to take your spare set and grind on the inside of the race so it will just slip on/off. Then when you get your clearances set you can take your other set and press them on.

You can get gears and all that stuff from Randy's Ring and Pinion. as well, they really know Dana 60's.

--CC

Randy's should have set up bearings that slide right on (no grinding)

--CC

There were no shims between the carrier and bearings, just between the bearings and housing

Well I called Devin at Unitrax this afternoon and after we spoke for a little bit he came up with a good kit that would have everything needed for the install at a price of $475. Not to bad in my opinion. Plus he said they will be OEM Dana gears which to me is a plus and he said that just this year they changed the gears a bit to where you dont have to replace the carrier to go to the 4.88 gears anymore. He was extremely helpful and informative so nothing but positive notes from me. Thanks ARRESTmeRed04 for the good referral. I will hopefully be ordering the kit in the next week or 2 and then I will be dropping the ol girl off with my buddys dad for the install.

wow, this thread had some serious negativity throughout the whole dang thing...I really wish that I didn't have to sift through 9 pages of BS crap-talking to get some good info. Nonetheless, I got it...so GO VTCOA!!!! lol

wow, this thread had some serious negativity throughout the whole dang thing...I really wish that I didn't have to sift through 9 pages of BS crap-talking to get some good info. Nonetheless, I got it...so GO VTCOA!!!! lol

Really? I just re-read through it all and was mildly surprised to find everyone doing their best to be helpful, with almost zero negativity?

Really? I just re-read through it all and was mildly surprised to find everyone doing their best to be helpful, with almost zero negativity?

Hi Chris :hello: I'm just here to follow you around :D

Yea you're right, the few that put in their opinions from their experience did actually help

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back