Rear end gears

http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?product=57904
Can someone tell me if this would be a sufficient gear oil weight for the differential? Im a huge fan of redline so I just want to make sure that 75W90 is the correct gear oil weight for our trucks. Also, if you read on the website link, it says its a fully synthetic blend that already has friction modifier mixed in with each quart/gallon so if I went with this exact gear oil thats on the website posted then I wouldn't have to add any extra friction modifier correct?

VENM505

http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?product=57904
Would this be the correct weight gear oil for our trucks differential? 75W90? I'm a huge fan of Redline products and if this is the correct weight lube then this is what im going with but with that I have 1 more question to add. This stuff says its a fully synthetic oil and that it already has friction modifier added to each quart/gallon so I wouldn't need to add any extra friction modifier/limited slip additive correct?

VENM505

Be careful when going from 4.10 gears to 4.56 / 4.88 .. There's a carrier break between 4.10 and 4.56 meaning you'll either need a spacer [ not a good thing to do ] or you'll need to replace the carrier [best thing to do ].

I have an '04 and did the 4.10 to 4.56 swap and it's like night and day, 6th gear is actually usable now too.

--CC

49, 200 miles on it

VENM505
With that many miles I'd recommend rebuilding the limited slip too.

Be careful when going from 4.10 gears to 4.56 / 4.88 .. There's a carrier break between 4.10 and 4.56 meaning you'll either need a spacer [ not a good thing to do ] or you'll need to replace the carrier [best thing to do ].

I have an '04 and did the 4.10 to 4.56 swap and it's like night and day, 6th gear is actually usable now too.

--CC

They also have thinner or thicker ring gears so you don't have a spacer or need a new carrier.
6th gear not usable? I use 6th gear even when towing, seems pretty usable.

I wouldn't personally change the gears(if I had an 05 i wouldn't change them to 4.10 either). There are just other things you can spend your money on that will actually make your truck faster, not just feel faster.

They also have thinner or thicker ring gears so you don't have a spacer or need a new carrier.

I wouldn't personally change the gears(if I had an 05 i wouldn't change them to 4.10 either). There are just other things you can spend your money on that will actually make your truck faster, not just feel faster.
I know there are plenty of other mods and honestly, around town my 6th gear is not usable at all. If im doing 60, which is pretty much any maximum service road speed limit, and I'm in 5th then im turning 1600-1700 rpm and I shift to 6th then im bogging down so I rarely ever get to use 6th unless im on the interstate which is rare. I def at least want to go to 4.56 gears not only to give me a little better acceleration but to also make my 6th gear a usuable gear for me for city driving (which is what I do most of). I have an 04 RC so I dont do any towing at all either

VENM505

Mines an 04 that I use to tow as well, a bunch of us do. I'm usually in 6th gear around 45mph, never had a problem with bogging. It's a cruising gear, if you want to accelerate then down shift to one of the other 5 available gears you have

I can drag that boat down the highway in 6th gear all day and not have a problem.

Mines an 04 that I use to tow as well, a bunch of us do. I'm usually in 6th gear around 45mph, never had a problem with bogging. It's a cruising gear, if you want to accelerate then down shift to one of the other 5 available gears you have

I can drag that boat down the highway in 6th gear all day and not have a problem.
Man if I put my truck in 6th gear at 45 mph the thing would be likely to cut off due to not enough rpm on the engine to stay running. At 60mph in 5th im turning 1600-1700 rpm and if I shift to 6th at 60mph its drops to right at 1000 rpm. So basically around town my 6th gear doesn't even get used at all.

VENM505

And I do understand that 6th gear is a cruising gear but im tired of riding around town in 5th gear turning right at 1700 rpm.

VENM505

And I do understand that 6th gear is a cruising gear but im tired of riding around town in 5th gear turning right at 1700 rpm.

VENM505

Something doesn't sound right? Like ArrestMeRED04 said, I drove my truck around in 6th gear all the time (2004 RC w/ 4.10 gears). I'd shift into 6th at 40mph, and cruise to work without downshifting.

5th gear in our T56's is .75:1 - that's a tall overdrive gear. 6th gear is .50:1. That's a very tall ratio that was never intended for accelerating. 6th gear is intended to be used once you have reached the speed at which you used to be traveling.

Something doesn't sound right? Like ArrestMeRED04 said, I drove my truck around in 6th gear all the time (2004 RC w/ 4.10 gears). I'd shift into 6th at 40mph, and cruise to work without downshifting.

5th gear in our T56's is .75:1 - that's a tall overdrive gear. 6th gear is .50:1. That's a very tall ratio that was never intended for accelerating. 6th gear is intended to be used once you have reached the speed at which you used to be traveling.
Well I just went for a test drive so I could record a couple pics and here they are. I mean especially closer to 50 it just feels and sounds so bogged down its not even funny and that was on a flat road. If I had to start going up a hill I would have to down shift for sure so I really don't know how yall are even towing a trailer in 6th gear at 45-50 mph unless you just see something really off with what you see in the pics I just posted
da049be1d48867bf2360f298f922ba19.jpg
7300ffb28537f03c848651989a01dd6d.jpg

VENM505

35 in 6th doesnt kill.: http://youtu.be/Ye-tmfY413E i did this video last time this topic came up. If its bogging bad at that speed, you shouls look into what is wrong with your truck by a qualified mechanic.
Well from my pics, does it look like my truck is turning the right amount of rpm at each speed that I took a pic of?

VENM505

Well from my pics, does it look like my truck is turning the right amount of rpm at each speed that I took a pic of?

VENM505
Dead on what mine does. Ive had the truck just under 8 yrs and have driven it at these speeds many times. No issue.

Dead on what mine does. Ive had the truck just under 8 yrs and have driven it at these speeds many times. No issue.
I mean there is no issue with mine as far as how it performs but I guess I would rather be turning 1300-1400 rpm in 6th at 60mph instead of just over 1000.

VENM505

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back