Rear End Shudder - LSD Lockup?

*UPDATE*

I drained and refilled the diffrential with Mobil 1 75W-90 gear oil, took her for a 10 mile drive and even did some figure-8s in a church parking lot to get the clutches going - no dice. It's looking like it may be the carrier bearing after all. I noticed while I was under the ol' girl that the front and rear halves of the drive shafts were at remarkably different angles. The truck appears to have been lowered 2" in the front and 4 or 5" in the rear using some unknown kit. Does anyone know what angles the two shaft halves should be at?
We know Ronnie would know but he dislikes differentials - LOL
BUT maybe, just maybe, if his dementia is kicked in he may pipe up so cross your fingers and hope he does :cool:

He's a pretty helpful guy I am gonna go with he will ;)

Not sure if that info is in the big giant 4 inch thick shop manual and if I were at home I would look in mine for you - but, I'm not home sorry - good luck!

I'm just a back yard mechanic, even on my best days. Do you think U-joints and the carrier bearing are something a dude like me could handle? I'm assuming things could get ugly if done incorrectly.
Yes, changing the bearing and U joints is not bad, as long as you have the tools required. The Spicer U joints have lifetime warranty.

Check for loose u bolts , loose leaf spring brackets to frame bolts , broken leaf spring , standard cab 3 rd differential shock absorber first .

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back