Rear Spoiler Flutter

ccfeyh

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Has anyone come up with any means to strengthen the spoiler (non-bed cover one) so it doesn't "flutter" when running down the road?

Been thinking about routing a slot from end to end, forming a piece of round bar to match contour, putting it in place the fill the routed slot. Anyone else have any ideas?

It shouldnt move at all. Make sure its tight. There are two bolts holding each side down. Open tailgate and look up under and you will see. Trucks came with a tool to remove the wing.

I have mine shimed up a quater inch so my bed cover fits under the wing and it does not move at all.

patrick

Nope, not loose. I've noticed at speeds over 80 the the thing gets movement in it. flutters in the center area.

Yeah it does flutter pretty bad at speed. you could have it drilled from one end to the other, put a steel rod in it, prep and paint the two holes, but at what end.

It looks a little thrifty to people on the highway behind you, but to me its just not worth the time effort and money to fix. Good luck with whatever route you take.

ccfeyh said:
Nope, not loose. I've noticed at speeds over 80 the the thing gets movement in it. flutters in the center area.

Mine flutters in the middle too. I figured it is just something I have to get used to.

I was kind of thinking about routing a slot from one side to the other, fit some round bar (contour), then lay the puppy in there with some good epoxy. From there fill the slot, sand it and repaint it. Should make it quit doing that crap.

ccfeyh said:
I was kind of thinking about routing a slot from one side to the other, fit some round bar (contour), then lay the puppy in there with some good epoxy. From there fill the slot, sand it and repaint it. Should make it quit doing that crap.

That sounds like a great plan. Let me know how well it works.

Would help if I had an idea of what it's like on the inside, foam filled, solid, etc. Really don't want to go cutting until I know what to expect.

ccfeyh said:
Would help if I had an idea of what it's like on the inside, foam filled, solid, etc. Really don't want to go cutting until I know what to expect.

amtrucker22 has some pics of when he had his cut in half and shortened to fit his bed cover. It's hollow inside.

If your doing 80 you should be looking forward!:D

I remember the old Super Bird or Daytona ad with a surfer standing on the wing.
Quess they don't make them like that any more.:)

I just found this while I was looking for something else.
Guy sectioned spoiler to narrow it:

"It's a little hard to tell from the cross cut, but it appears to be SMC (sheet mold compound) sometimes mistaken for fiberglass. The hollow center is foam filled."

Start cuttin':D

Here's a cross section.

bed_cover_and_srt_10_wing_section_0.jpg

ccfeyh said:
foam filled solid all the way through. best betwould be to fab a center support ala '05 toneau mounted wing.

Will

Sometimes the slide mounts loosen up.

Remove the tail lights, then look up inside there. You will see a nut on each side of the truck, make sure those are tight or the wing will move up and down quite a bit.

Bill.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back