Recent purchase help

They appear to be rated decent enough for a daily runner .. definitely cheap cost ..
let us know what you think about how they work out after running them for a while !

Last edited:
Hi
The Oil Pan is the same size/capacity in all of the Gen III SRT-10 Trucks from 2004 through 2006. 8.5L or 8.9 U.S. Quarts.

Some of the 2006 engines came with the wrong dipstick.
Some also showed the wrong capacity in the owners manuals (2006). I don't know if other years were affected.

A new Engine or a freshly rebuilt engine requires more the first time it is filled. I use 10.5L (11 U.S. Qts.) in such cases, then 8.5L after that.

Last edited:
Hi
The Oil Pan is the same size/capacity in all of the Gen III SRT-10 Trucks from 2004 through 2006. 8.5L or 8.9 U.S. Quarts.

Some also showed the wrong capacity in the owners manuals (2006). I don't know of other years were affected.

A new Engine or a freshly rebuilt engine requires more the first time it is filled. I use 10.5L (11 U.S. Qts.) in such cases, then 8.5L after that.
Thank you! I did not know about the errors in the 06 Manuals or of the incorrect dipsticks!

That's my second fave color on these trucks.
The old plugs were extremely clean but the iridium was short I guess a lot of miles. As for the radio, it doesn't cut on but it is getting power and the AC and heated seat controls only work when you cut the ignition off but before you open the door.
That's my second fave color on these trucks.
What are your plans with it ? Mod or keep basically the way it is ??

Hi

Some also showed the wrong capacity in the owners manuals (2006). I don't know if other years were affected.

I’m still using 10.5 quarts .. mines a 2005 … I’ve had no problems as far as I know .. but for Dodge to goof like this is crazy rediculous! Maybe I’ll save the cost on the extra quart on the next oil change

With 10.5 quarts (assuming you are talking U.S. Quarts and not Imperial), you will be a little high and right at the crank scraper. That might foam the oil a bit on occasion, but not a huge deal. Not ideal either...you decide.
They are playing games around here and when buying oil, I need to pay attention. Shrinkflation has caused a litre of oil (1000 ml) to become 970 ml (or even 943 ml) so the 8.5 containers I used to dump in, no longer fills it.

Last edited:
I’m still using 10.5 quarts .. mines a 2005 … I’ve had no problems as far as I know .. but for Dodge to goof like this is crazy rediculous! Maybe I’ll save the cost on the extra quart on the next oil change
They did the same thing on the old 426 hemis as many were released with a 383 oil pressure relief spring and/or the wrong dipstick. Mine was overfilled because of that. The old dinosaur goo oil REALLY foamed because of the crank weights and 2 quarts too much oil. That put the level ABOVE the Windage tray.
As engines prefer liquid oil and not foam, it wrapped a rod bearing.

Last edited:
They did the same thing on the old 426 hemis as many were released with a 383 oil pressure relief spring and/or the wrong dipstick. Mine was overfilled because of that. The old dinosaur goo oil REALLY foamed because of the crank weights and 2 quarts too much put the level ABOVE the Windage tray. As engines prefer liquid oil and not foam, it wrapped a rod bearing.
I agree on the reasons and problem of over filled oil .. Dodge has been sloppy forever with many things . Poor Quality control damn near finished the company years ago as we all know.

I’m curious , is there a quick way to see if the oils gets foamed in the engine ? Maybe Erving it up and pulling the dipstick for bubbles .. I know when changing the oil I always run the engine to warm up the oil before I pull the drain plug or even the filter .. but have never paid attention f T had a foaming look to it .. just curious ..

With 10.5 quarts (assuming you are talking U.S. Quarts and not Imperial), you will be a little high and right at the crank scraper. That might foam the oil a bit on occasion, but not a huge deal. Not ideal either...you decide.
They are playing games around here and when buying oil, I need to pay attention. Shrinkflation has caused a litre of oil (1000 ml) to become 970 ml (or even 943 ml) so the 8.5 containers I used to dump in, no longer fills it.
Hahaha ,, larger packages and less product at a higher cost .. snt inflation and greed grand

I’m curious , is there a quick way to see if the oils gets foamed in the engine ? Maybe Erving it up and pulling the dipstick for bubbles .. I know when changing the oil I always run the engine to warm up the oil before I pull the drain plug or even the filter .. but have never paid attention f T had a foaming look to it .. just curious ..

Not that I'm aware of. It's far more of a froth than kid's play bubbles.

10+ quarts in your oil pan puts the oil higher than it should be.

I know because I placed my oil pan at operating angle on a workbench, put in 8.5L and had a look.

Last edited:
Damn near finished me too. The steering box on my 71 Hemi-Charger RT was hanging on by a thread. And it wasn't the only Hemi car that made it out for sale like that. That info was killed pretty fast although it did make it out of the plant. I heard about it when I worked for them years ago.

Not that I'm aware of. It's far more of a froth than kid's play bubbles.

10+ quarts in your oil pan puts the oil higher than it should be.

I know because I placed my oil pan at operating angle on a workbench, put in 8.5L and had a look.
I’ll see what happens ,, I’ll buy 2 5qt jugs and forget the extra quart next time .. wish I new forsure if the dipstick is wrong .

Damn near finished me too. The steering box on my 71 Hemi-Charger RT was hanging on by a thread. And it wasn't the only Hemi car that made it out for sale like that. That info was killed pretty fast although it did make it out of the plant. I heard about it when I worked for them years ago.
That’s a scary thought .. sure as hell wouldn’t want to be testing top end and the steering box let loose ..

I’ll see what happens ,, I’ll buy 2 5qt jugs and forget the extra quart next time .. wish I new forsure if the dipstick is wrong .
I think the dipsticks were only wrong on the 06s? But how does one determine if it's correct I wonder

After the next oil change, and you or someone else puts 9 U.S. quarts in and changes the filter, drive it home let it sit for an hour or so then pull the stick. If it reads FULL, you are golden.

If it reads somewhere else on the stick, mark it with a hacksaw or something similar.

It doesn't help the dipstick in these can be notoriously hard to read.

After the next oil change, and you or someone else puts 9 U.S. quarts in and changes the filter, drive it home let it sit for an hour or so then pull the stick. If it reads FULL, you are golden.

If it reads somewhere else on the stick, mark it with a hacksaw or something similar.

Okay that sounds logical. I know mines never had over 8.5 quarts and the "dip stick reader" seemed happy - so she must be golden :D

I think the dipsticks were only wrong on the 06s? But how does one determine if it's correct I wonder
I think it depends on chrome door handles and silver window control buttons that go with my improperly marked chrome dipstick .. :eek:

Mine read golden with 10.5 quarts hahaha

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back