Reliability of a QC with a paxton

Nates GTS Viper

Reaction score
Hello all,
First off let me start out buy saying this is a great site. Im part of the vca and own a 96 GTS and have loved it throughout the 7 months of ownership. I also own a stage 3 SRT-4 that is pushing 350 fwhp and torque and a 07 cobalt. I am considering trading in the SRT and the cobalt for a supercharged QC SRT-10. The QC has around 50,000 miles on it and I was just wanting to know how you all felt about that kind of milage and with it being supercharged. Ive tried to find high milage Ram SRT-10s but never found enough of them to determine the lifespan accuratly. Any help would be greatly appreciated and thanks ahead of time. Also the truck will be my daily driver and will sometimes pull my viper to track events.

Thanks so Ill just stay clear of that one. If I may let me ask what you guys call high milage as in to high and you wouldnt consider buying.

Nates GTS Viper said:
Hello all,
First off let me start out buy saying this is a great site. Im part of the vca and own a 96 GTS and have loved it throughout the 7 months of ownership. I also own a stage 3 SRT-4 that is pushing 350 fwhp and torque and a 07 cobalt. I am considering trading in the SRT and the cobalt for a supercharged QC SRT-10. The QC has around 50,000 miles on it and I was just wanting to know how you all felt about that kind of milage and with it being supercharged. Ive tried to find high milage Ram SRT-10s but never found enough of them to determine the lifespan accuratly. Any help would be greatly appreciated and thanks ahead of time. Also the truck will be my daily driver and will sometimes pull my viper to track events.

Welcome to the Club:burnout:
A member on this forum has an SRT10 with 100,000 miles but, it is stock. When you buy a truck with a FI system you never know how long it will last:dontknow:

you can also just go with forged pistons if your not going for High numbers stock rods and forged pistons can handle about 700hp or a little more. Just like any used car you never know it just the luck of the draw. but 50k I would definately do at least pistons and rings.

duh, missed it the first time, if it supercharged already with 50k then more than likely it may have at least forged pistons.?. Are you getting it from a dealer or the actual owner?

Nate it depends on how long the sc'r has been installed,

honestly if it has a mild tune it should be fine.

but the problems arrize when you start pushing the limits, trying to get the last couple hp. The ring lands just cant take the abuse, and the autos dont respond too well to nos jsut for info;)

The trucks dyno sheet from a mustang dyno says it has 405 whp and 515 wtq. dont know exactly how long its been on the truck but the guy SAID it has the normal plug and play paxton kit. Also has headers and catback but thats it.

Nates GTS Viper said:
Hello all,

I completely disagree with what some have told you in this thread...It will have more to do with how you drive and maintain it then anything else...

I have 24,000 of very, very hard blown and sprayed miles on mine..

I won't drag my truck with the oil temp over 150...I use Amsoil and Lucas Oil Stabilizer...I change it every 3000-4000 miles..

My tune now, is conservative and I allow the PCM to do it's job and protect the engine..

Tranny will go out before the engine...Specially if you are spraying...But it falls back on how you drive it...My built tranny lasted 15,000 before needing a soft rebuild..

Anyway, your driving and maintenance will be the largest contributers...

Nate, Please you cannot listen to anything 505 says, he is our resident drunk Mexican. The other Guys on this forum are very knowledgeable.

just out of curiosity how much does a trans go for and what does it cost to change over to forged pistons.

Those HP number he gave you would have been bone stock. Mine stock was 425 hp. My QC lasted about 25k miles on the Paxton before the pistons started to come apart. Mine was tuned to close to 700hp. IMO the engine will survive just fine with a good tune and not pushed above 600hp. More than that and you are living on borrowed time.

The tranny will be the weakest link. I replaced mine after about 15k miles. Another member on here (fastfood) had some shifting issues with his and it turned out to be a sticky solenoid. I think some trans have been lost because this wasn't addressed and the screwy shifting burned the clutches. Keeping up with that and checking the band adjustment will go a long way towards preventing transmission death.

Talk to Stinker

thanks for actually posting the prices most people on the vca act like youll be banned for all eternity if you did that. really cool of you and thanks again.

Actually the horsepower that I posed was what was on thedyno. the base runs showed 280 whp and 470 wtq. also the wupercharger was put on in 05 when the truck had 7000 miles on it. so would you leave it or get it if you could get it for say under 19000.00.

Back