REMOVING CATS

THEDAV

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Isn't it illegal to remove the catalytic converts? I thought that it is a Federal Law that probits the removal or modification of existing emission control/regulating parts on vehicles.:dontknow:

Am I wrong?:confused:

I'd really like to have catless mids, but I don't want the Feds coming after me and handing me a $10k fine! :burnout:

thanks,

I believe you are correct for street use...But I don't think the Fed is going to come after you..Hopefully they have better and bigger things to watch:dontknow: It's more up to the states that have emmissions inpection to monitor that stuff....
There are legal aftermarket high flow Cats for street use you can use if your really worried..JMB will make a set with them I beleive:rock: :rock: :rock:

THEDAV said:
Isn't it illegal to remove the catalytic converts? I thought that it is a Federal Law that probits the removal or modification of existing emission control/regulating parts on vehicles.:dontknow:

Am I wrong?:confused:

I'd really like to have catless mids, but I don't want the Feds coming after me and handing me a $10k fine! :burnout:

thanks,
you need to check with you local state and county regulations, some have laws that they cannot be removed, others you have to go thru a sniff test,and catless ones usually dont pass.

best to ask before proceeding

Some emissions testing is done all electronically. They just plug into your computer to take readings and see if any codes exist. If this is how your area handles it you can delete just the rear cats. They are not monitored by the computer. If there is actually a visual test where they look under the truck then it's probably best to keep them.

If your that worried, pony up for the high flow cats.

removing the rear cats is only a slight help & not worth the effort imho....... removing the rears i don't even think is illegal, it's the fronts.....
now if you go catless & use the mechanical sims that a kit like justin's comes with, your pcm won't know the difference or throw a code...... the catch is how your state does it's deq tests.... if it's visual or a sniff test, ya gotta have cats.... if it's like my state, they just hook up to your obdII port looking for codes........ i've been catless for years & just recently passed deq too. :)

It is a federal offense to remove any emissions controls from a vehicle....I believe it carrys a $10K fine..........but almost no enforcement....

Thanks for the info guys.

Our emission tests up here are sniff and visual, but I am registering it as a seasonal vehicle, so there won't be an emission test needed.

But I still need to find someone willing to remove my mid cats and install the mid pipes. I wish I could do it myself, but I don't have the tools or know how to do it. :dontknow:

TNVIPER said:
It is a federal offense to remove any emissions controls from a vehicle....I believe it carrys a $10K fine..........but almost no enforcement....
my muffler guy must be misinformed then, he says removal of the rears on a 4 cat system is legal, it's da fronts that can get ya busted..... say, aren't you catless? ;) :D

moparracing said:
my muffler guy must be misinformed then, he says removal of the rears on a 4 cat system is legal, it's da fronts that can get ya busted..... say, aren't you catless? ;) :D

Arent the rears just resonators??..:dontknow: ........me catless??I dont own no cat so I guess I am catless...:itsme:

moparracing said:

If that is true then I'm getting catless mids!!!!!!!!! :burnout:

I wonder who would know this for sure??????

Rules for Replacing Converters
In 1986, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency issued new guidelines for the construction, efficiency and installation of aftermarket catalytic converters. All CleanAir converters listed in this catalog have been designed, tested and manufactured to meet this policy.

In addition, CleanAir converter listed in this catalog is appropriate for use under the current requirements of the California Air Resources Board (C.A.R.B.).
E.P.A. guidelines state that replacement converters may be installed only in the following situations:

1. The vehicle is missing a converter
2. A state or local inspection program has determined that the existing converter needs replacement
3. Vehicles manufactured prior to 1996 must have more than 50,000 miles, and a legitimate need for replacement must be established and documented
4. In cases of OBD Il-equipped vehicles (1996 and later), the O.E. manufacturer's 8-year/80,000-mile warranty must have expired and a legitimate need for replacement must be established and documented.
Please note that Federal law prohibits removal or replacement of a properly functioning O.E. converter.

When replacement of the converter is appropriate (as outlined above), the E.P.A. further requires that:

1. It be installed in the same location as the original
2. It be the same type as the original (i.e., two-way, three-way, three-way plus air/three-way plus oxidation)
3. It be the proper model for the vehicle application as determined and specified by the manufacturer
4. It be properly connected to any existing air injection components on the vehicle
5. It be installed with any other required converter for a particular application
6. It be accompanied by a warranty information card to be completed by the installer.

penalties can range as high as $10,000

JTS VENOM PERFORMANCE said:
Rules for Replacing Converters
In 1986, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency issued new guidelines for the construction, efficiency and installation of aftermarket catalytic converters. All CleanAir converters listed in this catalog have been designed, tested and manufactured to meet this policy.

In addition, CleanAir converter listed in this catalog is appropriate for use under the current requirements of the California Air Resources Board (C.A.R.B.).
E.P.A. guidelines state that replacement converters may be installed only in the following situations:

1. The vehicle is missing a converter
2. A state or local inspection program has determined that the existing converter needs replacement
3. Vehicles manufactured prior to 1996 must have more than 50,000 miles, and a legitimate need for replacement must be established and documented
4. In cases of OBD Il-equipped vehicles (1996 and later), the O.E. manufacturer's 8-year/80,000-mile warranty must have expired and a legitimate need for replacement must be established and documented.
Please note that Federal law prohibits removal or replacement of a properly functioning O.E. converter.

When replacement of the converter is appropriate (as outlined above), the E.P.A. further requires that:

1. It be installed in the same location as the original
2. It be the same type as the original (i.e., two-way, three-way, three-way plus air/three-way plus oxidation)
3. It be the proper model for the vehicle application as determined and specified by the manufacturer
4. It be properly connected to any existing air injection components on the vehicle
5. It be installed with any other required converter for a particular application
6. It be accompanied by a warranty information card to be completed by the installer.

penalties can range as high as $10,000

Holy research Batman!

Dang, oh well.

How much power do you lose from going catless mids to high flow mids?

BTW, I need to order some stuff from you Tony. :driver:

THEDAV said:
Holy research Batman!

Dang, oh well.

How much power do you lose from going catless mids to high flow mids?

BTW, I need to order some stuff from you Tony. :driver:
did I talk to you once about a hood? I cant imagine there are too many SRT's in alaska, as far as the cats, remove the rear leave the front, but I have found the best way to find out what you can get "by with" is by dropping by your local inspection station and ask what they check and what you must have and the procedure they go by;)

JTS VENOM PERFORMANCE said:
did I talk to you once about a hood? I cant imagine there are too many SRT's in alaska, as far as the cats, remove the rear leave the front, but I have found the best way to find out what you can get "by with" is by dropping by your local inspection station and ask what they check and what you must have and the procedure they go by;)

Cool, will do. The garage across the street does our I.M.'s. :D

Never spoke to you about a hood, but sent you an email about 06 RC Magnaflow exhaust 2 days ago through your website though. :burnout:

THEDAV said:
Cool, will do. The garage across the street does our I.M.'s. :D

Never spoke to you about a hood, but sent you an email about 06 RC Magnaflow exhaust 2 days ago through your website though. :burnout:
oh ok, cool beans, well there must be another one up there somewhere althogh its been a year or so since they asked me aobut a hood, but it could have been a hemi diesal not sure, but yeah bud, ask them and dont mention you are taking them off, you should be able to figure it out by how they respond to ya;)

I don't need to have them I.M. the truck because I am registering it as a seasonal vehicle, but what I am wondering is there are so many members here with catless mids, but if tampering with the cats is against the law, who is putting them on for them? Do you just do them yourself or find a shop that doesn't care?:confused: I mean they produce catless mids, you can buy them all over the place, how illegal can it really be?:confused:

I'd like to know what you gentlemen have done in the past before I put my feelers out locally.

Thanks in advance! :burnout: :burnout: :burnout:

THEDAV said:
I don't need to have them I.M. the truck because I am registering it as a seasonal vehicle, but what I am wondering is there are so many members here with catless mids, but if tampering with the cats is against the law, who is putting them on for them? Do you just do them yourself or find a shop that doesn't care?:confused: I mean they produce catless mids, you can buy them all over the place, how illegal can it really be?:confused:

I'd like to know what you gentlemen have done in the past before I put my feelers out locally.

Thanks in advance! :burnout: :burnout: :burnout:

We have mexicans running all over the place too...how illegal can they be?:D

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back