Removing cats

snake2144

Full Access Member
Reaction score
guys, does removing the cats really give you a horsepower increase and if so how much? and if i take them off will i get a check engine light.

j

snake2144 said:
guys, does removing the cats really give you a horsepower increase and if so how much? and if i take them off will i get a check engine light.

j
Yes, unknown exact amount, anywhere from 5-25HP, depending upon current mods.
Yes, CEL. Put sims in.

simulators = sims
electrical sims fool the PCM in thinking the cats are still there. Boomer and Roe I believe have them. Or you can try mechanical sims for a cheaper price tag. I have them in two of my trucks with no CEL.

It is posted somewhere in this forum. Along with threads about deleting cats. Just search for it.

sims are simulators...They trick the computer into thinking the rear 02's (used for cat efficiency) are detecting working cats.

Edit - sorry for the re-post, you type quick bone LOL

-Red

thanks guys, sorry for the stupid questions...but sims is something that needs to be wired in correct?

Running decent true 3" mandrel bent mids w/no cats should give you around 25rwhp gain......but...you may have to do a little dyno tuning to get the most out of the mod. Either way, IMHO , mids and catback are the best overall $ to HP mods you can do.

mmmmtorque said:
Running decent true 3" mandrel bent mids w/no cats should give you around 25rwhp gain......but...you may have to do a little dyno tuning to get the most out of the mod. Either way, IMHO , mids and catback are the best overall $ to HP mods you can do.

Ditto as I just did mine. You can get the mechanical sims from Boomer, they are easy and cheap to install. Dont bother with the wired/pricey ones, you dont need em......mech. ones are like $20 or something.

Your truck will be significantly louder especially at low rpms cruising through parking lots etc........after driving over 140 miles this past weekend I definatly am hearing some drone in the truck.

patrick

i feel like i am stupid for ask you that but which is cats? i am not sure where excatly it is

cat /kæt/ [kat] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation noun, verb, cat·ted, cat·ting.
–noun
1. a small domesticated carnivore, Felis domestica or F. catus, bred in a number of varieties.
2. any of several carnivores of the family Felidae, as the lion, tiger, leopard or jaguar, etc.
3. Slang.
a. a person, esp. a man.
b. a devotee of jazz.
4. a woman given to spiteful or malicious gossip.
5. the fur of the domestic cat.
6. a cat-o'-nine-tails.

catalytic converter
n.

A reaction chamber typically containing a finely divided platinum-iridium catalyst into which exhaust gases from an automotive engine are passed together with excess air so that carbon monoxide and hydrocarbon pollutants are oxidized to carbon dioxide and water.

DRamSrt10 said:
i feel like i am stupid for ask you that but which is cats? i am not sure where excatly it is

If you look under your truck, there are 4 catalytic converters (or cats for slang :D ) 2 on each side inline, then it leads to the muffler, then to a resonator (05/06)

-Red

Via Dynojet the results of my cat delete were:

29 rwhp 32 ft. lbs. tq

Great value for the expense!

Yup it did...I strapped them to the frame in clear air and solved the problem...am wondering what the emission check people in Illinois are going to say when they see my "bailing wire" repair

Prof said:
Via Dynojet the results of my cat delete were:

29 rwhp 32 ft. lbs. tq

Great value for the expense!

You might also consider mid-pipes with high-flow cats. The difference in power between these and no cats is very small, and keeps the exhaust sound from getting too overbearing (unless you like that sort of thing). No O2 sims needed either.

Ram From Hell said:
You might also consider mid-pipes with high-flow cats. The difference in power between these and no cats is very small, and keeps the exhaust sound from getting too overbearing (unless you like that sort of thing). No O2 sims needed either.
where is a good place to buy this set up( high flow cats)for our trucks???

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back