Removing Overhead Console in 2006

cgperry

Reaction score
Anyone know how to properly remove the overhead console for an 06? I'd like to hardwire my radar detector into the wiring in that console, but I couldn't figure out how to get the console out safely (the part with the trip computer, HomeLink buttons, reading lights, etc).

There is one phillips head screw close to the windshield. Removing that gives you an inch or so, but you can tell something is still holding it in about midway back. There is no info in the manual about changing the reading light bulbs or anything else for clues. It may just be a pressure fit, but I didn't want to risk breaking it.

Anyone know for sure what the next step is after the one screw is out?

Thanks!

Wow! Unexpected bonus!! Thanks for the great resource.

The information I needed is on page 8M-18 in case anyone else wants it.

-- charles

Last edited:
cgperry said:

-- charles

Actually Steve is pretty good with information when he's sober.:rolleyes: :eek: :elefant: You really lucked out today.:congrats: Usually he's in the tank by 9:00 am at the latest.:eek: My guess is it's a special occasion and he's getting a late start today.:dontknow: :p :D

Silverback said:
Actually Steve is pretty good with information when he's sober.:rolleyes: :eek: :elefant: You really lucked out today.:congrats: Usually he's in the tank by 9:00 am at the latest.:eek: My guess is it's a special occasion and he's getting a late start today.:dontknow: :p :D

Yeah, it is a special occassion, I'm out of fucking beer and too god damn lazy to go get some...:mad: :( :eek:

Texas Yellow Fever said:
Yeah, it is a special occassion, I'm out of fucking beer and too god damn lazy to go get some...:mad: :( :eek:

Damn Steve, I'm sorry to hear this.:( If you were closer:dontknow: I would help you out.;) :p :D

Silverback said:
Damn Steve, I'm sorry to hear this.:( If you were closer:dontknow: I would help you out.;) :p :D

Ok, that's it. I'm going on a beer run. A guy shouldn't be working on his truckk in 95 degree weather, especailly on a Holiday for pitty sake, without beer...

cgperry said:

The information I needed is on page 8M-18 in case anyone else wants it.

-- charles

Charles, My apology, I got so busy whining about being out of beer I for got to say you're welcome. I hope the service manual helped you this time and continues to be a good resource for you. Everyone here really tries to help each other out, which is what makes this site so good. As a Team we can figure most issues out, although sometimes it takes some spirited debate amoungst us...and once in awhile you have to filter out some BS, but sooner or later the answer you need surfaces...LOL!!! Seriously, welcome to the RBC, we're glad to have you here.

P.S. show us some pictures of your truck!!!

Thanks for the warm welcome. I've used forums like this one for years to maintain my Italian cars (it's pretty much the only way to get reliable, timely information), so I'm glad to see the same resources for the truck.

It looks like I'm a little unusual in that this will be my daily driver/work truck, so I won't be heading into the mods for a while. So far it's all cosmetic - fender liners, tinted front windows and upgraded Dodge molded mats. I want to add the UConnect Bluetooth integration and a spray-on liner. I also bought Dodge's ActivGate bed toolboxes/dividers. This is a really neat system, but it's not designed for the SRT-10 (tonneau cover brackets & struts interfere), so I'm in the process of modifying it to work since I need to keep the tonneau to protect my tools. I'm also adding an electric solenoid to the tailgate to lock it with the doors.

So far I love the truck, although getting used to its length is taking some time. I'm coming out of a 98 Durango which looks like a toy when parked next to the Ram. Here's a few pics that I took from the dealer site where I bought it.

Attachments

• 975452_3_400.jpg
    975452_3_400.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 91
  • 975452_2_400.jpg
    975452_2_400.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 49
  • 975452_6_400.jpg
    975452_6_400.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 82
cgperry said:
Thanks for the warm welcome. I've used forums like this one for years to maintain my Italian cars (it's pretty much the only way to get reliable, timely information), so I'm glad to see the same resources for the truck.

It looks like I'm a little unusual in that this will be my daily driver/work truck, so I won't be heading into the mods for a while. So far it's all cosmetic - fender liners, tinted front windows and upgraded Dodge molded mats. I want to add the UConnect Bluetooth integration and a spray-on liner. I also bought Dodge's ActivGate bed toolboxes/dividers. This is a really neat system, but it's not designed for the SRT-10 (tonneau cover brackets & struts interfere), so I'm in the process of modifying it to work since I need to keep the tonneau to protect my tools. I'm also adding an electric solenoid to the tailgate to lock it with the doors.

So far I love the truck, although getting used to its length is taking some time. I'm coming out of a 98 Durango which looks like a toy when parked next to the Ram. Here's a few pics that I took from the dealer site where I bought it.

Nice truck...!!! I'll warn you, a lot of the new guys say they aren't going to mod for awhile, the "awhile" normally ends up being a shorter length of time than you anticipated...LOL!!!

cgperry said:

I was going to comment about the nice stable of cars you have. Do you have a favorite?:confused:

Texas Yellow Fever said:
Nice truck...!!! I'll warn you, a lot of the new guys say they aren't going to mod for awhile, the "awhile" normally ends up being a shorter length of time than you anticipated...LOL!!!

I suspect you're right, although since the truck technically belongs to my company, I can't do anything that would jeopardize the warranty. I guess that limits me to maybe intake, exhaust? I hate the idea of the K&N intake since it's been such a problem on my supercharged Corvette (constant problems with MAF sensor), but I'm open to any mods you guys think offer quality bang for the buck.

Silverback said:
I was going to comment about the nice stable of cars you have. Do you have a favorite?

The Lamborghini by far. It's everything anyone expects an exotic to be, and its engineering and maintenance requirements shame the Ferraris. The Corvette is kind of my Frankenstein project car. It's kind of a mess, but it has too much sentimental value (and too much of my $$) to part with... :)

cgperry said:
I suspect you're right, although since the truck technically belongs to my company, I can't do anything that would jeopardize the warranty. I guess that limits me to maybe intake, exhaust? I hate the idea of the K&N intake since it's been such a problem on my supercharged Corvette (constant problems with MAF sensor), but I'm open to any mods you guys think offer quality bang for the buck.

What happens to the MAF? Is the filter a suck or blow through?

Filter is a suck. Every so often, the car just starts running like hell - no throttle response, jerky throttle, etc. Feels like the throttle position sensor has failed and is providing random responses.

In actuality, the MAF has become contaminated with the K&N oil and is reporting all sorts of false readings to the engine ECU. The simple, but incredibly annoying solution, is to turn the car off for more than 3 minutes. This causes the MAF to go through it's self-clean cycle, which burns off the contaminant and then the car runs fine again.

K&N's seem to cause this problem on a lot of cars, so much so that they have had to dedicate a page on their website to disavowing themselves of any responsibility:

From http://knfilters.com/faq.htm#6
K&N Website said:
7. Will a K&N filter cause my vehicle’s mass air sensor to fail?

At this time, K&N is unaware of any evidence that K&N air filter oil from a K&N air filter can damage or cause the malfunction of a MAF sensor, regardless of the make of the vehicle involved. K&N takes seriously any claim that one of its products is incompatible with its designated application or can damage or cause the malfunction of any automotive component. Such claims are thoroughly investigated and, when appropriate, testing is undertaken to determine their merit. In the case of MAF sensors, ongoing tests have shown that contamination from K&N air filter oil has not caused any failures or malfunctions of the MAF sensors in the test vehicles. K&N is aware that MAF sensors can become contaminated for a variety of reasons, unrelated to a K&N air filter (such as backfiring, blowby, leaking airbox or leaking intake duct) and that various methods have been used by some service departments and repair shops to clean a dirty or contaminated MAF sensor, such as spraying with an appropriate cleaner. K&N has not completed any tests as to the efficacy of such a process and, therefore, does not officially endorse or recommend any cleaning process. However, if given the choice of either replacing a MAF sensor or cleaning it, K&N recommends that the consumer ask his or her automotive dealer to attempt cleaning, before replacement. It should be noted that the presence of contamination does not mean the contamination was the cause of the MAF sensor failure. Sensors can fail for electrical or mechanical reasons, unrelated to any visible contamination.

And while it's true that they may not cause the MAF to FAIL, they certainly can F it up temporarily. They also claim elsewhere that the problem is due to over-oiling - that claim is BS. Running the filter totally dry is the only way I've solved this problem, and then it's not doing its job.

I won't use K&N on my exotics, and I only use it on the Corvette because I can't find anything else that fits my supercharger intake properly. The kit came with the K&N.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back