Removing the rear cats cause the "popping"?

phunny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My appointment is today at 1:00, and I see some guys have that sound on decel, seems pretty annoying to me. Just seeing if that would cause it.

-charlie

Yes, the popping is the exploding of unused fuel that has entered the exhaust system.

Some of us like it...at the right levels...and the right tone.

Another issue but really minor...it assures me that the engine is running rich...which is always preferable to running lean...

Thanks for the input. I'm just not gonna tell her, and if one day she comes to me and says, "MY TRUCK IS POPPING," I'll just yell at her for flooring it and driving like a moron.

Yes, I know I'll lose in the end. :marchmellow:

-charlie

My truck has all four cats. With the stock exhaust it popped. Now I have a Mopar catback installed. It still pops, only louder :D I would expect by removing the rear cats, removing all four cats or installing hi-flow cats the popping would be more pronounced, depending on cat setup and exhaust type. If you want the popping to go away or at least diminish, I understand a revised PCM tune would help out. Personally I like the popping -- sounds racecarish :D

Through my research and trying different mufflers and whatnot, I experienced the different mufflers, tailpipe length, pipe diameter, and muffler location all contribute to popping. My truck is barely noticable at all due to the muffler and pipe combo. I for one cannot stand the "rice krispies popping" either. I've always loved a Deep, throuaty exhaust and have been trying to accomplish this with my 10.;)

phunny said:

Yes, I know I'll lose in the end. :marchmellow:

-charlie

Charlie...you have learned the secret that many men just never learn.

All of my wives have won in the end.

Prof said:

HAHAHAH, I literally laughed out loud when I read your post, "All of my WIVES have won in the end" ROFL!

Great stuff.

Hey Venom, what's your setup?

The popping is caused by an over rich condition on deceleration.
This is programmed into the PCM to cool things down when the throttle is closed.
It is not a function of the exhaust, different exhausts can modify the sound of the popping, but not the popping itself, which is unburned fuel lighting off in the exhaust.

Prof said:

How many do have? I didn't know you were Mormom.

;)
FSTJACK said:
The popping is caused by an over rich condition on deceleration.
This is programmed into the PCM to cool things down when the throttle is closed.
It is not a function of the exhaust, different exhausts can modify the sound of the popping, but not the popping itself, which is unburned fuel lighting off in the exhaust.

Exactly, yes I coulda mentioned that the exhaust isn't what makes it pop but can control the amount.
All cars have this programmed into their decel programming, but most cars DONT use a tube style, straight thru design muffler. Factory, you'll notice the truck doesn't do it audibly at all. Once you remove the cats it dosen't do it, removing the resonator doesn't do it. But once you slap your Magnajunk on there it starts a popping. Use of a chambered style muffler changes this dramatically. But if you take the muffler off about any car and replace it with a thrush, glasspack, bullitt, or magnaflow style straight thru design it'll have the decel popping. Catalytic converters do take alot of this popping away due to burning the leftover gas and catalyzing it. Even now with my Mac 3' chambered mufflers there is little popping at all. EVERY magnaflow,Dynomax bullit, or any straight thru design will amplify the popping 100 fold.

Imagine a ricer car that was quiet as all get out till rice boy got an extra $200 for a fart can to add on his car minus his muffler. BAM!!! You have instant popping and ESCPECIALLY decel popping these lil focker love.
For all you real redneck out there remember ( unless you still have the damn thing) the days of an 77' Chevy Silverado with a 350 and true dual 2" pipe and what muffler? You had the most poppinest cracklin', ride thru town in first gear, waking deaf people, ride of rides out there. I literally use to want to shove tennis balls in every redneck around's pipes to shut that tarded ass sounding trucks up.:mad:

VENOMOUS1 said:
;)
All cars have this programmed into their decel programming, but most cars DONT use a tube style, straight thru design muffler. Factory, you'll notice the truck doesn't do it audibly at all. Once you remove the cats it dosen't do it, removing the resonator doesn't do it. But once you slap your Magnajunk on there it starts a popping. Use of a chambered style muffler changes this dramatically. But if you take the muffler off about any car and replace it with a thrush, glasspack, bullitt, or magnaflow style straight thru design it'll have the decel popping. Catalytic converters do take alot of this popping away due to burning the leftover gas and catalyzing it. Even now with my Mac 3' chambered mufflers there is little popping at all. EVERY magnaflow,Dynomax bullit, or any straight thru design will amplify the popping 100 fold.
this is one of the many reasons why i love my B&B catback, no decel popping.... :rock:

VENOMOUS1 said:
;)

Exactly, yes I coulda mentioned that the exhaust isn't what makes it pop but can control the amount.

Imagine a ricer car that was quiet as all get out till rice boy got an extra $200 for a fart can to add on his car minus his muffler. BAM!!! You have instant popping and ESCPECIALLY decel popping these lil focker love.
For all you real redneck out there remember ( unless you still have the damn thing) the days of an 77' Chevy Silverado with a 350 and true dual 2" pipe and what muffler? You had the most poppinest cracklin', ride thru town in first gear, waking deaf people, ride of rides out there. I literally use to want to shove tennis balls in every redneck around's pipes to shut that tarded ass sounding trucks up.:mad:

Excellent info. My 7 will buck you through the roof if you try and let it decel by just letting off the gas. It's like a free bull ride! :burnout:

Another thing I found that makes a huge difference in the popping is exhaust leaks. I had my stocker welded up a while back as I noticed carbon blowing out of the stock slip fittings. Reduced the pop quite a bit.

Having Sean cut the fuel on decel reduced it by half, but it was still there.

Then changed to B&B Headers, High-Flows & Catback. Popped like an SOB until I got the mids and back welded up.

Now I've got no popping at all.

Tekhaus said:
Another thing I found that makes a huge difference in the popping is exhaust leaks. I had my stocker welded up a while back as I noticed carbon blowing out of the stock slip fittings. Reduced the pop quite a bit.

Having Sean cut the fuel on decel reduced it by half, but it was still there.

Then changed to B&B Headers, High-Flows & Catback. Popped like an SOB until I got the mids and back welded up.

Now I've got no popping at all.
path of least resistance - your exhaust leaks...... ;) :)

Well the rear cats are gone. And all I can say is WOW! Truck doesn't sound much different at all unless you're WOT and there is a definite power difference. Normally if you floor it, there really isn't any wheelspin in first then second chirps. Now first spins easily and 2nd does a very nice burn as well. Great mod.

-charlie

You just wait til that ECM arrives in your hands! She'll spin deep into second. I always tell people it's not the tranny slippin', it's the tires.:D

phunny said:
Well the rear cats are gone. And all I can say is WOW! Truck doesn't sound much different at all unless you're WOT and there is a definite power difference. Normally if you floor it, there really isn't any wheelspin in first then second chirps. Now first spins easily and 2nd does a very nice burn as well. Great mod.

-charlie
YOu do need to do the fronts as well. They don't make it much if any louder during normal cruising. It's WOT where it makes the exhaust shine. Also keep the muffler and rid the resonator out back and it'll wake up more and still sound very civil.;)

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back