Repair questions from new member

tommyg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi, I just purchased a 2005 black QC with 3,000 miles. It had been hit in the left front corner. It has a new bumper cover and left front headlight. Front fenders and hood are original, so the damage was fairly minor. Frame is untouched, but three questions:

I read somewhere there is a sensor mounted behind the left headlamp assembly, and I have a sensor of some type hanging down next to the headlamp. Can someone confirm what this is and how it mounts.

I also seem to be missing what probably should be an underhood lamp. Were these standard or optional with some lighting group, because I have an opening in the hood liner with nothing in it.

Last, my transmission cooler lines next to the radiator have a slight kink in them. I took it to the dealer to check and confirm some things, and they claim the lines need replacing at $450, plus $200 labor or I will damage the tranny and void the warranty. I personally dont think the kinks are serious enough to block the flow. Any suggestions.

I will post some pics later if it helps.

Thanks.

the sensor sounds like the outside air temp sensor
best of my knowledge they all have the light in the hood
check with stinker, J T Sawyer Truckin, he is a vendor here for some nice replacement lines

oh & welcome to the RBC. enjoy the beast:rock: :burnout: :rock: :burnout:

Last edited:
Pictures of lamp opening and kinked cooler lines.
Where's the harness connector for the lamp?

Attachments

• SRT Pic 001.jpg
    SRT Pic 001.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 85
  • SRT Pic 002.jpg
    SRT Pic 002.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 63
I took 2 more pictures. Can you look at your cooler lines and see what they look like. Especially the lower one. Also, I have no harness for the hood lamp, where does it plug in..I took a picture of what looks like could be the connector, right above the far right side firewall. Is that it...I thought it was a connect point for a diagnostic tool.
And the air temp sensor, is that for the information display, which I consider bling, or is it more critical

Thanks again guys.
btw I checked the JT Sawyer site. Some interesting stuff, but it crashed my browser a couple times. I'll check again later.

Attachments

• SRT Pic 003.jpg
    SRT Pic 003.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 51
  • SRT Pic 005.jpg
    SRT Pic 005.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 53
yep that plug is for the hood light. harness runs from the plug behind the hood hinge, under the hood insulation to the light.
can't really help ya on the tranny cooler lines. i have a RC. if i was to make a call from the photo i would say yep need replacin. but from lookin at them might be best to go with replacement parts. have not heard of "aftermarket" replacement lines for tranny cooler like for the engine oil cooler lines. that is something that needs to be done. had mine oil cooler line split on me & most everyone has leaks at the crimps. i have a thread somewhere here about that with some photos. did mine myself then Stinker came out with his. he has some very nice "life time warranty" ones.
maybe Borden3srt will chime back in or another QC guy will.
if ya take that piece of insulation, fuzzy stuff, off by the bottom of the windsheild it cleans up the engine bay nicely. i put the "rivets" back to cover the holes

The lines from the photos look ok I checked mine twice to be sure I see no bad kinks in yours the upper one has one bend about a 90 the lower two bends take your finger and rub at the bends if smooth they are ok

Thanks for your help. A picture of yours would be great. I have a copy of the 2006 shop manual (should be the same as 2005 for the most part) and attached a copy of the picture from the manual.

Attachments

• SRT tran cool lines.bmp
    862.6 KB · Views: 69
ya might want to check the p/s hose by the top of the raditor & see if its leakin. looks like the same mess that i had

Last edited:
Those are some great pictures..Thankx
From the looks of yours mine are definitely bent, especially the lower one, and I dont think I can bend it back..those type lines can usually only be bent once..if you're lucky, without kinking badly or breaking. But, for $650 at the dealer, I think I'll give it a try, very carefully.
Thanks again!
Now to check the power steering lines.

Unless you see a leak at the end of that trans line I would not worry about it, its fine. I looked at mine and the pics that were posted for comparison and yes your bottom line is a little displaced but there is not a kink in the line that does not belong there. Just my opinion on that, especially for $650. If anyone else disagrees I am sure it will be posted up.

You may be able to fins some lines through a salvage dealer. I have seen some posted here lately. Just a thought. May save you some $$$. BTW welcome to the club!

I'll try bending the bottom line and let you know how it comes out. I'll order the lamp and harness from my body shop bud...I think he gets about 20% off dealer retail. Hopefully I wont find anything else missing, but..

One more question, the front bumper cover seems very loose. We took it off, about 20 bolts and fasteners..its just a huge single piece of plastic, and found that there was no foam or rubber piece isolating the plastic from the metal subframe, like you find under most car bumper covers. We checked the exploding diagrams for available parts (the ones body shops and dealers use to order parts) plugged in the VIN, and I wasnt missing anything.
Does anyone know if there are any foam fillers up front?

Only a couple appearance mods, and doing the 1-2" rear drop this coming weekend. I dont expect to change anything under the hood from virgin stock. Also want to change out the standard brake pads for maybe posicentrics. They produce a LOT less dust, but the stopping power was not as good...at least not on my Jeep SRT8. Btw, I had a 2006 SRT8, and a 2002 Ram. Decided to sell both and get the SRT 10. Great merger of the two.

Now, I know they arent popular here, but I'm thinking of side steps, and the $1300 for the disappearing ones is ridiculous, but the only other one I like is half that, and I'm not sure it will fit. I've seen a few with the steps, but theyre the oval tube type I dont like. The door cladding comes down about 2-1/4" lower than the standard Ram, so not all steps will fit. The picture is of the type I'm thinking about. Anyone know if they will clear the door?

Attachments

• Ram Step.bmp
    410.9 KB · Views: 27
its been called the Redneck Viper before:burnout: :rock: :burnout: :rock:

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back