Rock Chip Repair

RAMviperIFFIC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Last Fall, I hired a "paint wizard" portable businessman to fix my paint chips in my truck. He did it at work in the parking lot ($100 flat rate), so I got to go out and watch and learn.

Well, after a Wisconsin winter driving season, I have about 12 small chips again. So, I went and got some touch up paint and got some clean polishing rags. You also need a solvent, I chose to use 3m adhesive remover, as it is safe for cured paint and clear coat.

As you may know, when you dab on paint with the wee brush, the paint applied is higher than the factory paint. Put a dollop in all of your paint chips after using you solvent to clean the area. Let it cure for about 1/2 hour to 1 hour.

Now comes the magical part, get your rag pretty saturated, but not dripping with solvent and lightly rub in circles around the dollop'd area. In a few seconds (less than 30), the high paint lifts right off and you are left with the chip filled in. I can't believe how easy it was and I got the same results as last fall. Please note that as I learned last fall from the professional, it passes about a 5 foot inspection test, any closer and after staring, you can find the repaired area.

I am going to try multiple applications each weekend for a while and see how much each week, it improves (hopefully.)

I only have about $15 dollars invested and about 1 hour of my time!!!!! And the supplies will probably last a year!

I know, pics, pix, pictures!:D

Yes PICS --YOU GOT THAT RIGHT :)
What are the types of solvent and paint you used..

great tip.. ive got about 50 chips that ive filled in and they look horid .. i used a toothpick to add the paint and its discusting... gonna have to try this solvent method on them ... :).. thanks

Yep!

shade said:
when the professional did it - did it look like it had been repaired?
My expectations of the Paint Wizard where too high. From 5 or more feet away, if you did not know where to stare for the repaired area, you would not find it. If you where closer and/or knew where to look, it still looked like a chip, but instead of being the white color of the primer, it was the same color red as my truck. I guess I was expecting too much for a $100 flat rate for the whole vehicle. Don't get me wrong, it was a night and day difference, but I was expecting results as if it where repainted.

PIX

here are some pics......

#1: My aresenal of supplies

#2: After a Dollop of touch up paint is applied to the chip

#3: Results after one complete application

#4: Results after second application.....geez, I can't see the chip, I'll try a different camera angle

#5: Another angle with a toothpic to point out the repair after a full second application with wax.

Attachments

• supplies.jpg
    supplies.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 125
  • chip paint application.jpg
    chip paint application.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 156
  • chip fix 1st application.jpg
    chip fix 1st application.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 127
  • where did it go.jpg
    where did it go.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 119
  • chip fix 2nd application.jpg
    chip fix 2nd application.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 164
Looks good to me man!! Also If you remove a 1/4 of your bruches on the bruch that comes with the paint, you will not have such a large bubble. (Past experience "FATJACKS truck" LOL LOOKS GOOD!

nice advice,

i have a few that i was gonna do the wet sand technique on - but im too scared of rubbing too much clear off...

Does anyone know where to pick up the 3M adhesive remover. I have checked at Lowes and couple of Automotive places and cannot find it.

Thanks for any help,
Russell

chromecards said:
Does anyone know where to pick up the 3M adhesive remover. I have checked at Lowes and couple of Automotive places and cannot find it.

Thanks for any help,
Russell

Same here I can't find the 3M adhesive remover.

hey guys i paint cars for a living and if i have any bad chips on mine i drop some singlestage paint in the chips and let it dry. then i come back with a paint paddle with some thousand grit sand paper and knock it down flat. then i take some two thousand and three thousand sand paper and sand over it a little. then i compound it and polish it and it works very well. just be careful and dont get carried away with sanding on a stock paint job for to long in one spot (It only works on solid colors).

check with your local automotive refishing supply place on the adheisive remover ours is called finishmasters

I checked at my local Autozone and they did not have it, I will check some other ones though or see if they can order it.

Thanks,
Russell

Just a FYI, I found the 3M adhesive cleaner at my local O'Reilly Auto Parts. I was very impressed with the results of this paint chip repair method, this was very helpful information.

Russell

Looks good, can't really tell there was a chip, I bet you have to be careful since there are 1 million different red's colors.

The new touch-up paint at the dealer works wonders...it has a smaller ball point pin tip now. You have to get 2 feet away to tell there was a chip there after its properly applied.
If you want slightly better repair i'd try this kit..... http://www.langka.com/

Back