roe blowing oil

Marc T said:
Someone please give a diagram of the best pratical way to install the catch can or cans!!

Do they need to be mounted at any particular height?

If the left side is where the majority of pressure is, could we just run one can on that side with the Breather filler cap and cap off the other side??

This is how Roe set it up with the blower, with out the catch can!

What worries me is all this talk about pressure on the rings and seals!
just run your vents lines over head and zip tie them to your sun visors in the cab, then you can keep an eye on them;) :p

HAHA! That just made my day!!

I've actually done this to test my leaky BOV lol

~mike~

BOOMER said:
just run your vents lines over head and zip tie them to your sun visors in the cab, then you can keep an eye on them;) :p

When you guys say

LEFT SIDE VALVE COVER

i that as being the driver side?

I think my rings are starting to go as my rear main is leaking also.

I do have 60K miles now so gunnah pressure/leak down test each cylinder.

What pressure lbs should i be comfortable with and at what point am i F#$KED? If the rings are bad(leaking) is a full rebuild necessary(engine pull) and my only option?

Thanks Kevin

I have Justins's catch can and it comes with a filter and a t-fitting to connect both valve cover vents to the catch can. Why on earth would this be designed this way if it is not truly relieving the pressure? I have never accumulated any type of oil in the catch can. It always seems the area aound the can is moist of oil. Probably coming out of the filter. Obviously my set is not working correctly. In addition, now that I'm boosting 10 lbs and let off the throttle above 5000 RPM it almost sounds like I have a blow off valve. Is this normal?

Last edited:
very interesting post.

as I read in other forums, no one came at a perfect solutions.

what I learnt is a catch can should have a stainless mesh inside to help vapor condensate.

a cheap can could be easily filled with stainless mesh (dish washing stainless sponge), and a pipe run bottom up inside.

like this

REV_C_SECTION_publish.jpg

a couple of this little can could be used, 15 Eur off Ebay ($20), plus a breather on top, but I still have to understand if the breather is needed or not.

49e9_1.JPG

I am wrestling with the oil misting problem too.

So far in my experiments I have progressed to this point:

Roe Breather on the oil filler port. I have a hose running to a JMB catch can on the rear (drivers side) pressure relief port. I have added a breather in the hose about mid-way to the catch can (which also has a breather). My attempt here is to lessen the pressure at the catch can breather. So far the additional breather is not spraying, and the final breather on the catch can is spraying less.

I tried using the standard oil filler cap and one hose from the drivers side rear port to the catch can, and had a gusher! Changed that immediately, and spent an hour cleaning up. My old Roe breather on the oil filler port was/is leaking and I have a new one on order.

I have asked Boomer to identify the breather he has on top of his Paxson in the picture below...I will try to fit it on top of the JMB catch can to provide more space...less pressure at the catch can outlet...

Still working on this problem...wiping misted oil off after every ride is not terrible...all garage time is good time...but we need to solve this problem!

Here is a pic of Boomers engine and the filter I am interested in is at the top left of the picture as opposed to the other smaller ones he has....Get well Gary!

IMG_0432.jpg

I don't have any problems, my engine is stock, just curious!

Hey, what a bunch of breathers in that engine!

Its an old picture...there is much more plumbing in there now...

if you have a blower, you also need to add a check valve to the factory hose running from the driver's side breather to the intake manifold. putting the catch can in this path is also the way to go.

the kit Justin is selling is not a correct configuration.

AWDisuzu said:
if you have a blower, you also need to add a check valve to the factory hose running from the driver's side breather to the intake manifold. putting the catch can in this path is also the way to go.

the kit Justin is selling is not a correct configuration.

...and in the case where you don't have a breather hose going to the intake manifold...? What is your frame of reference? What blower are you talking about? What PVC? I'm just not sure that you are talking in the same arena that we are?

There is no factory hose from the drivers side breather to the intake manifold on any Viper engine I have looked at...where are you coming from? Who are you and what have you done with our usually lucid and helpful AWDisuzu?

Under normal driving situations I have no problems...a little misting...from breathers...but under hard (read strong boost) the breathers gush oil. Who else is having this problem...anyone, or am I the only one? If it is just me, I'll go back into my corner but if others are overloading their small breathers from the drivers side bank and forcing oil out of them, please sound off...maybe it is only me????

Roy,

I don't have this problem. I do get oil in the filter though. They have turned Dark brown and I will be cleaning them soon.

I was told you need to clean them regularly, they will get clogged from excessive oil and will not alow as much air in or out!!

Mine does it also Roy. Even under normal idle it seems to huff a lot of air out. Not really any oil mist that I can see at idle, but at wot it does mist oil.

I just have to believe that with the pressure that is produced on the drivers side of the engine...we have to have a breather with more space to allow the oil/air mixture to hit the filter material with much less pressure then the material can pull most of the oil but let the pressurized air escape. Currently there is just too little surface for the "effluent" to be strained out.

Working....will get to the bottom of this...I do not have any steel wool in my catch can...I will add some and see if that strains the oil any better.

Roy,

When you say mist are you speaking of the visible fumes (Smoke) or is it actually wet oil comming out??

I do have fumes comming out of my filters at idle, but I believe that is just hot oil vaporizing.

At idle I had a little whispy condensation...What comes out of the breathers is oil...there is so much pressure that it blows through the filter material. After pushing it hard, the blower filter is soaked in oil.

Mine does not blow oil out of it. What I find is like a misty oil residue around the catch can area.

Your problem is the one we are addressing...I have about four more steps...testing each step independent of each other...we will find a solution.

Ok Prof ( love the avitatar:D )

I run 20 lbs of boost, now first with both valve covers t'd together to one catch can I got valve cover leaks and a rear main leak, oh and no valves of any sort.

Talked with Ugr they said too much pressure not enough play.

So I installed two catch cans from each valve cover with a 8 an line, and no valves and breathers on top of the catch cans, now no leaks no problems.
but you will get some mist from the breathers especially at idle.

another solution is running a 8 an line or so from each valve cover to each side of the exhaust after the convertors with something like a summmit crankase evacuation system, it will give you negative pressure and postive ring seal.

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=SUM-120108&N=700+115&autoview=sku

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back