rough cold idle

I think the IAC just needs some time to adapt to all the changes. it seems to be a slow reacting mechanism. with to much air going though it ,it can't adapt fast enough to compensate, which causes the surge. Like Jeff says, with the IAC hose plugged off ,adjust the idle set screw to idle at about 400-500 rpm ,cold . then reattach the hose and reset the computer.This should allow only a small amount of air through the IAC which it can control better. Wait until it is cold again and try it. take it out for a drive and warm it up . let it cool and let us know how it goes.

Last edited:
ok thanks slither, will try tomorrow, at this point have nothing to lose.

Hey Whar happened this morning? Did it start and have that sinister ,growly,Viper purr-r-r-r-r-r?

HEY SLITHERBEAST, will do it sunday, not around. thx for asking will post up .

well boys, the verdict is in , spoke with chuck tator and he said he think"s it could be the IAC MOTOR, so i told him to send me one, installed it, idiled real high at first, he said it would, when you first start up, went right too 1300rpm,for 20 seconds then settled to 750 rpm, so far there was no surge, shut it down , let it cool off, then restarted it, and it idiled at 1000 then setteled at 750 with no SURGE smooth, yeeh ha, that was it, and now you can here it sucking thru the intake tube, not loud but i did not here that before. did not drive it yet , letting it cool off, then will restart it one more time. but that was it, that iac motor was not moving fast enough ,like it was sticking, was clean when i took it out to inspect it. chuck say's that the iac motor moves all the time, in and out controlling air flow. ok, happy again lovin my truck. ps, i think it needs heads and that hot 710 cam from roe.:rock:

Last edited:
went to the truck again this morning fired it up and fast idle at 1000 then settled down to 700to 750 , with no surge let it idle for 2 minutes and all is good , so it was the iac motor all the time. thx for all your in put.:rock:

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back