rough cold idle

Youve got alot of variables sir. Especially with the mods done recently. The only thing i have left, is the idle control screw on the tb. Throttle surge is a common problem when people install the single blade throttle bodies. Opening up the idle screw, and resetting the computer smooths them out. Load the stock tune and see if the idle set scew adjustement will do anything.

I really hope you dont have to remove that intake again to check the coils or gasket leak.

it was doing this before i changed out the coils and wires so that would not be it, tony's tb is a dual blade, so was the bbk

Reset the PCM by not just disconnecting the battery positive, but after doing that touch the positive to the negative for about 1 minute. This effectively clears the learned fueling maps by the PCM. Just a quick try to see if that does anything. Other than that Chuck will have to look on the scanner for Intake Air Temp sensor, and Ambient Air Sensor as well as the MAP sensor. It could be thinking it's actually colder than it really is and trying to fuel based on that which will make a rich idle for sure!

yes jeff the sct has my stock tune , will try clearing the codes the way you guys describe. will post a video in a couple of hours, i all ready loaded the stock tune in. i heard back from torrie and he says that area of calibration is unchanged from stock.

When the truck is running cold and surging,pinch off the hose that attaches to the IAC and see if the idle calms. also notice how much air is flowing through that hose by the sound it makes. If the idle calms and you notice alot of air trying to flow though it ,then you need to turn the set screw to open the throttle blades about another 1/8" so that less air flows through the IAC and more goes through the throttle blades ,reset the computer then start it again . see if that helps. Keep track of the amount of turns and which way! you may need to set it back. If there seems to be no air flowing through the IAC hose ,then you will need to close the throttle blades with the set screw to allow more air to flow through the IAC , and reset the computer . If that don't work there has to be a vacuum leak somewhere!! ...my 2 cents

Last edited:
Thanks I'll try that too. Do you know how to post a video. I have one on the rough idle with the stock tune. Doesn't do it as bad, but still happening. Would like to post this video if I knew how.
Again, thanks.

I think you have to host it somewhere else , like photobucket or even youtube,then post the link in the dialogue box.

Youtube would be easiest way to do it. Or if that doesnt work out you can email or text it to me and ill help you out bud. PM me for info

ok will try that , hey slitherbeast i think your on to something with the amount of air from the iac in relation with the throttle blades, will do your test

there seems to be a lot of air going trough that hose on the iac, when i pinch it off i can stall the motor, i did open up the blades on the tb a couple of turns and will try again, when the motor cools and clear the computer,

yea i would open the blades another turn or 2 and try again.

Try plugging the hose to the IAC and get it to idle with the set screw. use a bolt or something to isolate the IAC. if it idles fine after that , change the IAC. if it continues look for vacuum leaks!

I just checked mine by blocking off the hose and leaving it unattatched to my Cai. There was very little change of idle. I think your tb is blocking off too much air and the iac is overcompensating. I'm with slither. Block it off and get it to idle proper with it closed.

when i pinched it closed the motor shut down, so how will it run when it is closed, if there was a vacum leak it would run like crap all the time. will try pluggin the hose.

just plugged off the iac and it runs poorly won't even idle raised the idle screw and it will idle, now what???? is my iac bad ??? 85 bux at autozone

Last edited:

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back