Running Rich

sgt_bo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just got back from a 1400 mile trip to Jacksonville, NC and while I was there my dad asked me how long the truck has been running rich, well I know it has for a few months because when I start it in the garage (only 2 in to the wall) I leave soot on the garage walls.

well I was coming back through Atlanta yesterday and this truck was on my ass, so I showed him some daylight between us, and he eventually pulls up next to me and motions to roll the window down, so I do.

He yells at 80mph, you were smoking when you got on it, I told him in a loud voice, I know it runs rich. Well it got me to wonder, why would it run rich, and can i do anything to prevent it or change it?

I have headers, exhaust, Stage II flash (Boomer) and K&N.

If anyone has any ideas let me know, since I need an oil change and maintenance schedule, I can get the dealer to look at it (after I put the original PCM back in).

Thanks

You need to get a dyno with A/F. These run rich from the factory to protect the engine. I know you have the stage 2 so you should not be as rich as a stock truck. If you lean it out to much you will have detonation. Get some A/F numbers and see how rich you actually are. Don't put the stock PCM in and take it to the dealer as it will do nothing for you. Your timing is on stage 2 PCM. You will have different timing on your stock PCM.

Smoke

The Stage II flashes are intentionally programmed to be a little rich in order to be safe. I tried to get DC Performance to write me a custom program becuase mine is rich and they didn't want to do it.

DC told me it's better to run a little rich if your truck is only sporting minor bolt on mods and they didn't want to lean it out.

If you have BOOMERs tune you might see if he'll cut you a custom tune. He may be willing to do it.

if it's smoking, it's more than just rich. Mine never smokes. if it's running THAT rich, there is something wrong.

No dyno around here, well the have a dyno machine but the truck is too long to fit on it. I wanted to get a dyno at Boomers.

I have not done anything else to the truck, Boomers crew installed everything. running 91-93 octane, and mobile one oil.

12,000 miles on it now.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back