Sattelite Radio install

GA Venom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am thinking about swapping my stock radio/6 CD player for a stock sattelite radio. I have been talking with Dragon, and just have a few questions.

has anyone done this before? How hard?
Where does the sattelite antenna go? How big is it?
Anyone have pictures?

Thanks for any input.

Why not buy a portable XM receiver, and it plays through the FM band, and then you can move the radio from vehicle to vehicle OR take it inside the house and use it as well, and ONLY pay one monthly fee....the antennas are very cheap and buy several for each vehicle or home use, just my $.02...

What year truck and are you looking at a completely new aftermarket setup with Sat? I can't speak to an aftermarket swap but I added Mopar's Sat system to my 06 RC with the REC NAV radio. This system integrates with the factory REC and consists of an antenna, receiver and wiring harness. I had my local dealer do the install mainly because I didn't have the heart to drill holes into my brand new truck's roof. And besides if I screwed something up, I'd have to pay -- if the delaer screwed it up, it was on their nickle. I do recall from the install instructions, besides drilling holes in the roof (with a supplied template), removal of several interior trim pieces, lowering the headliner and removing the OEM radio were all required. The harness was plug and play. The receiver box was installed on a supplied bracket that attached to the dash structure, located behind the glove box. It took my dealer an hour to do the install and it's covered under my base 3/36 warranty. The antenna size is roughly 3" long by 2" wide, shaped a bit like a triangle. I can send a pic or 2 of this later today. I hope this helps.

I just put my sirius in my truck and it seems like none of the channels will sink up, they're all static..and I had no problem in the Cobra..

Thanks FastRam

That is exactly what I was looking for. I am looking at a OEM system, not an aftermarket. Mine is an 04.
Where is your antenna located on the roof?
I would love to see pics if you can.

Thanks again.

lthlvnm04 said:
I just put my sirius in my truck and it seems like none of the channels will sink up, they're all static..and I had no problem in the Cobra..

You may want to call Sirius and make sure they have the right radio number. Once they do their magic with the number, the radio should work.

SRT39 said:
That is exactly what I was looking for. I am looking at a OEM system, not an aftermarket. Mine is an 04.
Where is your antenna located on the roof?
I would love to see pics if you can.

Thanks again.

Yep, on the roof. I'll post up some pics tonight.

I added the Sirius Sat OEM set up after the fact to my set up. I had NAV and BlueTooth in my 05 QC but when I added the Sat, it replaced the plug on the bluetooth so I lost that (didn't bother me as the bluethooth sucks in our trucks with the wind noise we create).

Sat is nice works with the factory steering wheel controls (which is what I wanted) instead of the after market versions.

I didn't install my Sat antenna on the outside of the truck, I put it on the dash and just used velcro to keep it in place. I didn't want to start drilling holes in my exterior. the Sat and radio work fine like that.

here's what it looks like with the antenna inside the cab

satpics002.jpg

satpics001.jpg

Here's a few pics of my roof top Sat antenna. I hope they help ya.

Roof Top
IMG_0031.jpg

Shot from rear
IMG_0028.jpg

Shot from driver side front
IMG_0034.jpg

Shiny roof , ehh :D

SRT39 said:
Thanks for the photos,...that helps a lot! Is yours an am/fm/satt/6CD player?

I have the factory REC radio. It is an am/fm, 6CD/MP3 changer with Navigation. The REC radio supports the Mopar Sat system (an add-on), U-connect and rear seat VES (DVD/entertainment system). Depending on the truck (RC vice QC) anyone or all 3 of these systems were offered as options for 06. And the REC Nav radio was an option as well. On the QC, some of these items may have been rolled into a package deal. RC wasn't offered with the VES. I hope this helps.

QckSlvr said:
I added the Sirius Sat OEM set up after the fact to my set up. I had NAV and BlueTooth in my 05 QC but when I added the Sat, it replaced the plug on the bluetooth so I lost that (didn't bother me as the bluethooth sucks in our trucks with the wind noise we create).

Sat is nice works with the factory steering wheel controls (which is what I wanted) instead of the after market versions.

I didn't install my Sat antenna on the outside of the truck, I put it on the dash and just used velcro to keep it in place. I didn't want to start drilling holes in my exterior. the Sat and radio work fine like that.
:dontknow: Now that your blue-tooth doesn't work for you anymore...want to sell your hands/free rear-view mirror?

Quick

I installed mine with no issues. They give you a fool proof temp let for drilling the hole in the roof. As long as you have a new bit you good. It really is not hard at all. If you you wanna come to Cal, I'll do it for ya.

SRT39 said:
Qck Slvr,

Did you have a 6CD changer before?
Now?

Thanks for the pics

No, with the NAV option you only have a single CD in-dash and I did not ever care to have an external changer. Once I installed the SAT and went with the lifetime subscription there was nothing else to care about.

One thing I wish our radios had is an external jack for Ipods and such, but SAT radio is a nice option.

Mine had the REC 6 cd changer already in it. I added the OEM Sirius and the OEM Uconnect from the Mopar Super Center. EVERYTHING went in and worked Perfectly. Looks and acts as though it was installed at the factory. Needless to say I highly recommend the setup and kits they sell.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back