Second Battery Wiring

Depends on how you want to use it. Why are you installing a second battery?

Depends on how you want to use it. Why are you installing a second battery?
Something like a run-on tailgate party. I'm using a 2800 watt Yamaha inverter generator as my main power source, and the second battery as backup for various bed-mounted accessories.

If it were me, I would use a battery isolator. Do a web search and you should find wiring examples.
Basically it will allow both to charge, but will isolate them so you don't kill the starting battery.

I just threw a second battery on the passenger side, Negative went to a ground point and the Positive I ran back over to the Positive of the orginal battery.. Doubles the Amps but keeps the Volts the same. Alternator has no problems charging both and running all the other electronics Ive added

I just threw a second battery on the passenger side, Negative went to a ground point and the Positive I ran back over to the Positive of the orginal battery.. Doubles the Amps but keeps the Volts the same. Alternator has no problems charging both and running all the other electronics Ive added

Doing it this way you will kill both batteries and not being able to start the truck if he uses it too long. The isolator, separates it so the starting battery will not be affected by all the accessories he is running in the bed. For $100-$150 it is piece of mind that at a tailgate party (could be drinking a bit) that someone forgets to turn everything off before going into a game.

If it were me, I would use a battery isolator. Do a web search and you should find wiring examples.
Basically it will allow both to charge, but will isolate them so you don't kill the starting battery.

This really is the only way to do it ,any other way is just a waste of money and time .You would actually get less time running on reserve because as you drain one battery you would drain the other one even faster ,,its like having a 4 battery flash light with all the batteries dead and all you have is 3 good ones to put in it ,so you use one of the dead ones to make it work but in reality you will kill new ones even quicker ;)

and before anyone starts running their head ,I have an electrical license thank you very much and it is a large part of what i do in automation installations !

Last edited:
I'm MECP certified in 12v and did car audio for 12 years, but what do I know :)

I'm MECP certified in 12v and did car audio for 12 years, but what do I know :)

I hear ya bro .
most of what i work with is 480 three phase that is then stepped down to 120v/24v for control wiring to P.L.C. 's

S2402-01-01.jpg
[/IMG]
You need this... maybe not this exact make and model but something to isolate the batteries from each other.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back