Seeping Oil.

azpyroguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
At first glance I thought I had a problem because I was seeing oil on the driver side of the engine.. but no loss of oil pressure, no oil in coolant, etc...

So I looked bit closer.. and noticed a small stream of oil coming from beneath the oil filler cap....

It runs down the side of the valve cover, under the header flange, and onto the side of the block... and on down making a mess the whole way...

Anyone had this issue before... or if there is a TSB for the cap leaking...

there is no oil pressure in the crankcase area unless you have some serious blowby! So I can't see how the cap would leak.

I'd have to guess someone was messy when filling up your oil.

AWDisuzu said:
there is no oil pressure in the crankcase area unless you have some serious blowby! So I can't see how the cap would leak.

I'd have to guess someone was messy when filling up your oil.

No.. because the oil is not "new looking" its used looking oil...

But... it does not seem to be getting worse..... and seems to have stopped when I put on the catch can, taken off the pressurizing hoses that the supercharger installs...

I should clean it off.. and see if it returns....

maybe you need a PCV valve. the factory ones are not meant for boost, so they let pressure right through and into the crankcase. on my turbo car, I used a spare brake booster hose with the check valve in it for my pcv and cured the crankcase pressure problem.

AWDisuzu said:
maybe you need a PCV valve. the factory ones are not meant for boost, so they let pressure right through and into the crankcase. on my turbo car, I used a spare brake booster hose with the check valve in it for my pcv and cured the crankcase pressure problem.

I think that may have been the deal... but now with the catch can in place... there is no more PCV Valve.. its naturally vents into the catch can....

Before the passenger side valve cover was being pressurized by the blower, and the PCV was on the drivers side... with the line connecting the two that went to a spot under the intake...

All that is no more.. there is just a free line that goes from valve cover to valve cover, then over to the catch can.....

So I will clean the oil off tomororro and see if the issue returns...

I have no loss of power, no oil buring, no odd smoke, etc.. no odd sounds, etc...

where does the vacuum side of the catch can go? the vacuum side of the catch can is where the check valve goes, in the hose from the catch can to the intake manifold (for vacuum)

then the other end of the catch can goes to the crankcase breather.

AWDisuzu said:
where does the vacuum side of the catch can go? the vacuum side of the catch can is where the check valve goes, in the hose from the catch can to the intake manifold (for vacuum)

then the other end of the catch can goes to the crankcase breather.

With JMBs catch can setup there is no vaccum connection, both the vaccum and the connection that would normally go back to the airbox (or in this case to the supercharger intake) are blocked off.

There is simply a line that comes from the breather on the driver valve cover (PCV Removed), to the breather on the passenger valve cover, with a T-connection that goes to the catch can.

No vaccum or pressure is forced into the valve covers, its allowed to naturally breath now.

I think the way it was connected before under boost the supercharger would essentially pressurize the valve covers, then that air would then "blow" out the oil cap causing the slight dripping from it.

This morning I have cleaned it off with degreaser, and going to see if the problem returns, or if it was just "remnants" of the previous before the catch can... I think its going to be the latter.

I had that same problem, Check the O - Ring on the oil filler cap. Replace it , Or the cap. Problem solved.

J.R.

azpyroguy said:
At first glance I thought I had a problem because I was seeing oil on the driver side of the engine.. but no loss of oil pressure, no oil in coolant, etc...

So I looked bit closer.. and noticed a small stream of oil coming from beneath the oil filler cap....

It runs down the side of the valve cover, under the header flange, and onto the side of the block... and on down making a mess the whole way...

Anyone had this issue before... or if there is a TSB for the cap leaking...
Stop the leak with a Steak ;) :D

JRSVIPR said:
Tube Steak?

J.R.
Sorry Bro inside joke LOLOOL You just had to be there to fully appreciate the humor in my statement....Besides Pyro lost his Tube steak in a horrible BBQ accident years ago :D :D

TheSickness said:
Sorry Bro inside joke LOLOOL You just had to be there to fully appreciate the humor in my statement....Besides Pyro lost his Tube steak in a horrible BBQ accident years ago :D :D
Well i hope he is o.k. now. Did he get a transplant, Or did he have to go with a vagina?

J.R.

JRSVIPR said:
Well i hope he is o.k. now. Did he get a transplant, Or did he have to go with a vagina?

J.R.

Gee thanks.. guys... is this pick on Pyro day...

I check the O-ring on the cap tonight after work, as I had oil running down the side of the valve cover again from it....

The O-ring appears to be worn... so I will call Dragon and have him order me a new Cap...

azpyroguy said:
Gee thanks.. guys... is this pick on Pyro day...

I check the O-ring on the cap tonight after work, as I had oil running down the side of the valve cover again from it....

The O-ring appears to be worn... so I will call Dragon and have him order me a new Cap...
Cool, The O- ring looks flat right? How many miles do you have?

J.R.

JRSVIPR said:
Cool, The O- ring looks flat right? How many miles do you have?

J.R.

I would not call it flat... but its definatley showing some flats spots.. and moves very easily on the cap... so I think it might be stretched out.

I have 15,000 miles on it...

azpyroguy said:
I would not call it flat... but its definatley showing some flats spots.. and moves very easily on the cap... so I think it might be stretched out.

I have 15,000 miles on it...
I had 38,000 when i replaced mine. You can really feel the difference in the seal on the new cap.

J.R.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back