Shaking

slick771977

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK maybe somebody could help me out here I'm getting shaking vibration in the front and sometimes it's at low-speed sometimes high-speed it comes and goes and comes goes sometimes it's a little vibration and sometimes it's a lot of vibration shaking my steering wheel and and dashboard

sounds like a bad balance on the tires---try that first------or it could just be Friday nite shaking. Ya know, "a whole lot of shaking going on."

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply shoring just put new tires on two and had them re-checked

then more than likely you have some really loose front end ball joints, a-frame or steering. How many miles on the beast?

Bad wheel bearing is a good possibility. Grab top and bottom of tire and wiggle back and forth. See if there's slop

Venomous one raising

Venomous one raisingyeah I did that too I even took my mechanic for a ride in it and he's dumbfounded about it to

Venomous one racing my mechanic thinks it might be the harmonic balancer being out could that be a possibility

There have been times when the bolt on the front of the crank comes loose.

Not sure a loose harmonic balancer would cause your steering wheel to shake, good to look at but probably not the issue. How straight are your wheels? It's possible to have a bent rim that can cause vibration issues.

It's not the harmonic balancer. I've gone down a 20 thousand dollar road trying to figure the shaking out. In and out of dealer and they replased harmonic balancer, replaced ujoints, balanced drive shaft. Outer tie rods. Rebuilt rear end. Brakes rotors tires. Springs and shocks. Replaced hubs. Replaced upper control arms etc. still working on it. Oh and rebuilt transmission. Since then I had problems with check engine and stalling with rough idle. Replaced throttle position sensor and crank sensor. It fixed the problem. No more sputter or dying out. I've read that a lot of people have had the issue with rough idle and dying out on them. Recommend replacing both sensors and don't forget to disconnect the positive and negative for a bit. Replace sensors and before connecting touch the terminals together for about 30 second to clear old sensor errors. It's not the same as just disconnecting negative. It worked for me.

Last edited:
The Dark horse is the wheel hub assembly. Good news is there cheapish. My old Ram work truck had a similar issue. I replaced the upper control arm, lower ball joint, tie rods inner and outer, rotors because I needed them, still the vibration persisted. Did the hubs it finally went away. They sounded fine when turned and had no catches or wobble to them that I could tell. They were none the less the problem. Happy hunting your issue. Good luck

I am headed down the ball joint road. Already did the bearings. Is this a DIY with medium wrench skills? Or $600 best left to the dealer?

DIY is fine. Nice to have a big ratchet or breaker bar. You will also need a ball joint separator and ball joint press kit. It's just a question of what your time is worth to you. It will probably cost you a day labor plus parts and getting parts and tools together If $600 includes the alignment. That's not a bad price.

The thrill of doing it myself outweighs any time lost. I will get a better quote and decide from there.

I see Mas Moog Mevotech and Mopar on Rock Auto as premium choices. Any experience with which may be better than others?

A bad or cupped tire will shake and still balance out ok. I would rotate tires both front to back see if its better or worse then switch one at time. I did this to find out which one of mine were bad when I had this. The wide tires will cup easier if you dont keep the psi just right.

One side done. Someone said it on another post but the AutoZone ball joint press rental is crap, but with some luck, I got it. Lucky for me I saved a bearing race from my Jeep that was the perfect spacer for pressing in the new one. Their clamp was 1/4 inch short to accept spacers on top and bottom.
Edit. Both done. Second one was quick without having to reinvent my solution.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back