Shell Rotella T oil??

kickinassrt-10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok I'm not 100% clear since I've heard mix things, but can I use Rotella T regular oil like you buy for diesel in my truck? Typically 15w-40 or something similar. Thanks

I used Delo to help seat my rings... I think it was 15-40??? I know of some higher HP guys that run diesel oil in theirs with no issues.

Diesel oil is very good to use in our trucks, used Delo 15-40WT to break in the red truck motor on the dyno.

i wouldnt use delo400 for anything. Shell Rotella is a better oil. All big rigs come with delo from the factory and burn 4 to 5 gallons till the first oil change after we swap out to shell they quit burning oil. been that way for the last 15 years.

mobil delvac worked better for me, rottella used up too quick, oil pressure and temps stayed better and higher with teh mobil delvac

eddie102870 said:
i wouldnt use delo400 for anything. Shell Rotella is a better oil. All big rigs come with delo from the factory and burn 4 to 5 gallons till the first oil change after we swap out to shell they quit burning oil. been that way for the last 15 years.
Must have something to do with zinc, phosphorous and some of that other stuff :dontknow: :party:

i've been usin Rotella T6 synthic 0w-40 for the last 4 changes.:rock::rock::rock::rock::rock:

been doin great. oil samples back it up over the Mobil 1

eddie102870 said:

Delo is great for Detroit 2-strokes:party:

Thanks guys. So basically what I got from the response that I can use Rotella T in my truck with no adverse affects??
I've always like Rotella when I had my diesel and a friend of mine can get me the oil for practically free, so that is why I asked.
Also I'm not referring to the syntheic version of rotella t the plain stuff diesels use, unless all rotella is synthetic??

Last edited:
kickinassrt-10 said:
Thanks guys. So basically what I got from the response that I can use Rotella T in my truck with no adverse affects??
I've always like Rotella when I had my diesel and a friend of mine can get me the oil for practically free, so that is why I asked.
Also I'm not referring to the syntheic version of rotella t the plain stuff diesels use, unless all rotella is synthetic??

not all is fake oil, lol.

love the detergents that Rotella uses

Thanks so I'll be changing out and using rotella T. I currently run valvoline syntetic. I'm not a fan of mobil 1. Is 15w-40 (same weight as diesel) safe to
use or should I go with 10w-40. I live in s. Florida
so the hot season is coming back around.

NO! NO! YOU CAN NOT RUN THAT TYPE OF OIL!!!

Nah, just kidding. Run whatever the hell you want. I bet any of the high quality oils such as Rotella, Mobil 1, Royal Purple, Amsoil; pure synthetics, blends, or dino oils will be just fine in our trucks. As long as you change it out often enough, I doubt it will make much difference.

Every forum I have ever been on, it is like talking politics or religion (or global warming, lol) when it comes to oil.

You tend to have your synthetic camp vs your non-synthetic camp. The real question is which oil is the Democrat and which oil is the Republican.

Since synthetic is more pricey it's republican. I ran rotella in my diesel and changed it around every 5k miles.

Your owners manual will specifically state what specific type of oil is recommended including what weight. Don't know about yours but mine says:

For best performance and maximum protection under ALL types of operating conditions, the manufacturer only recommends full synthetic engine oils that are API rated as SL/CF and meet the requirements of DaimlerChrysler Material Standard MS-10725.

If you choose to operate this vehicle in a very aggressive driving style, the manufacturer recommends the use of a full synthetic engine oil, such as Mobil 1 SAE 0w-40.

The proper SAE viscosity grade of engine oil should be selected based on the following recommendations and be within the operating temperture shown in the engine oil viscosity chart: 0W-40 (preferred) recommended for below -20F and above 100F. 5W-40 recommended for -20F above to over 100F​

While I do not rebuild automotive type engines I do have extensive experience with MC engines. Of which they are far more highly stressed and grave things happen to them including using the wrong grade oil. Failure is generally crank bearings. Newer engines have far tighter clearances and using a thick oil (relatively) like 15W-40 is not always a good idea. Summer in FL probably get by no issues.

I live in AZ and trust me we experience far greater temps then you'll ever see in FL. Only thing my truck has ever seen is 0W-40. Currently at 100K miles ;)

Last edited:

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back