Shift fork pads worn....

STUDBOYZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I figured out why my t56 was having a hard time getting into 3rd, it was due to the shift fork pads getting worn out. The factory ones are made of plastic and only lasted 25,000 miles. I found some new ones at thegearbox.org made out of bronze.. Hopefully these hold the power..

Here are some pics of the problems..

Image002-2.jpg
[/IMG]

Image004-2.jpg
[/IMG]

Image003-1.jpg
[/IMG]

I will be replacing mine soon. Were you getting any noises? or would it just not go into gear?

Mine are all good, except 6th. And I only have 19,000 miles.

Bill.

The new ones are bronze instead of plastic, I've read this is a problem with all the tremecs, and I'm sure that powershifting has a lot to do with them wearing out so quickly.
My dad drives like an old man with his so I'm sure his will last forever. The new bronze ones were only $100.00 and I got a new bronze buishing to replace the cheap plastic one in the shifter hole as well, that's susposed to tighten up the shift pattern alone.

The bronze pads are a must, mine did the same thing. Except I only lost reverse. Make sure to check the shift rail bushings in the top of the case, I cant remember if there is 2 or 3? Mine were scored causing the rail to be tight which in turn caused the shifter to be stiff.

i'm fixing to pull my tranny and am thinking about going ahead an replaceing a bunch of this stuff web site to get the stuff from?

If you look at the syncro and the blocker rings those stamped steel keys can take a lot of abuse from the blocker ring. On mine they were worn down to the point I had trouble shifting into 3 and 4. Thegearbox.org and ddperformance.com is where I got most of my parts.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back