Shifter Oh S@@ts

jrray24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am not a moron. I have driven numerous HP vehicles and motorcycles. I have found, in the few short days I have owned my SRT-10, that it is very easy to shift into 1st when trying for 3rd!!! Scary shit!! My Bro-In-Law is a pro mechanic and he did the same thing. Is that an issue with the stock shifter in 2004 or am I having a failure here? Would a short throw help/eliminate this issue? Thanks for any advise even if it does make me sound more retarded than this post already makes me sound!!!:dontknow:

jrray24 said:
I am not a moron. I have driven numerous HP vehicles and motorcycles. I have found, in the few short days I have owned my SRT-10, that it is very easy to shift into 1st when trying for 3rd!!! Scary shit!! My Bro-In-Law is a pro mechanic and he did the same thing. Is that an issue with the stock shifter in 2004 or am I having a failure here? Would a short throw help/eliminate this issue? Thanks for any advise even if it does make me sound more retarded than this post already makes me sound!!!:dontknow:
you need to upgrade to an x-metal or b&m shifter....... your choice.

My silver 04 shifter very good and the red 04 would not go into 3rd on a powershift no matter what I did.

For most driving and mmost situations I would recomend the B&M'

I have a xmetal that is noisy and feels very different.

I have been powershifting since my 40 Ford coupe in 1964 with a 301 cid sbc.

Get an aftermarket shifter (B&M) and you will enjoy the truck much more.

jrray24 said:

Yep, a common problem in all Ram SRT-10's. Get a shifter from Xmetal and you will be much happier, be prepared for a little extra noise in the cab.

Some have removed the rubber isolator on the stocker and have had good results. You may want to check and see if your shifter mounting bolts have loosened also.

These trucks come with gear oil in the trannies, alot have switched to Syn ATF with really good results, myself included. (caution, this will void warrantie) Howerever the Tranny manufacturer has recommended this over the gear oil.

Get that bugger fixed and you will have alot more fun in your beast!!:rock:

I've had a x-metal gen iv and a B&M. The B&M is, IMO, perfect. The X-metal shifter "rotated as you rowed through the gears, was louder than the B&M, and more expensive. A nice piece but not as good as the B&M IMO.

I just installed the BM shifter in mine I love it I picked it up on the forum for 150.00. You might want to keep an eye on the BUY/SELL they come across alot. But the Xmetal and BM both have great reviews check them out.

I have the x metal gen 1 shifter which actually used a b&m base. Great shifter and no missed third "oh sh#t" into first shifts. You can find these used andcheap on the site occasionally.

patrick

installed B&M on sunday took less than an hour and the shifting is effertless now ,,,,:elefant:

Hitting first at the top second is a real hoot!!:D
Definitely gets your attention,I removed the isolater,will step up soon though!

I had the B&M installed last week and LOVE IT... Night and day difference. Change out your transmission fluid with 4 quarts of Mobil 1 ATF and it will be even better...

Ironhead said:
installed B&M on sunday took less than an hour and the shifting is effertless now ,,,,:elefant:

Details? Only an hour of labor... If it's that easy, I might try to tackle it on my '06 RC. What all is involved in the "conversion". Thanks!

nothing really ,,,3 small screws to undo center consol,,unsreww leather shift boot ,,then unscrew extra rubber mount under that ,,,then 4 screws to undo shifter ,,,stick new one in and rebolt ,,,i started at 2pm sunday and was test driving by ten mins after 3 ,,,had to wash hands before i drove took an extra 10 mins lol ,,,,B&M comes with nice instructions with CLEAR pictures ,,,,dont be afraid DO IT lol:elefant:

Ironhead said:
nothing really ,,,3 small screws to undo center consol,,unsreww leather shift boot ,,then unscrew extra rubber mount under that ,,,then 4 screws to undo shifter ,,,stick new one in and rebolt ,,,i started at 2pm sunday and was test driving by ten mins after 3 ,,,had to wash hands before i drove took an extra 10 mins lol ,,,,B&M comes with nice instructions with CLEAR pictures ,,,,dont be afraid DO IT lol:elefant:

Thanks for the info. I didn't want to get into something over my head, but if it's all done topside and with screwdrivers, I might just give it a go. I've done that 2nd to 1st shift a few times and wouldn't be too unhappy to find a quick and easy solution.

Ironhead said:

Is there a vendor here that has these available?

Where is everyone getting the B&M's from?

ohiosrt10 said:
Details? Only an hour of labor... If it's that easy, I might try to tackle it on my '06 RC. What all is involved in the "conversion". Thanks!

if I can do it... anyone that knows which side of a screwdriver to hold can do it... it's really 'that ez'...

BTW... I never accidentally shifted my RC into first ... but getting to third was a PITA until I put in the x-metal.... :> good luck

tidnab said:
if I can do it... anyone that knows which side of a screwdriver to hold can do it... it's really 'that ez'...

BTW... I never accidentally shifted my RC into first ... but getting to third was a PITA until I put in the x-metal.... :> good luck
What do you mean which side of a screwdriver to hold?It comes in a glass right?:D

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back