Shifters

6speedquadcab

NorCal SF Bay Area
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know the reviews for the JTSVP shifter is awesome. So is the B&M. But how good or bad is the stock shifter? I keep getting mixed reviews.

There are a few simple modifications you can make to the stock shifter to make it better, but it will never hold a candle to the B&M or Tony's shifter (based on others feedback)

What I'm trying to understand is what is wrong with it? It seems to be pretty reliable. So are they referring to speed shifting when racing?

Well if your like me and this is your first manual and have nothing to compare it to, its fine for me.

Im sure when I drive an awesome stick shift ill be saying oh gawd the manual in my truck was the horrible. :)

So for me if our manual's are as bad as alot of people say anything I drive afterwards will be great.

The b&m and tony shifters both employ training wheels placed carefully in the housing to prevent the dreaded missed third problem

What I'm trying to understand is what is wrong with it? It seems to be pretty reliable. So are they referring to speed shifting when racing?

it doesn't give you the positive feel that you get with a better shifter. I only ever missed one shift with the hurst but I didn't feel as confident as I do with the B&M.

This is great feedback guys. The reason I ask is because I have a bran new never used complete hurst shifter that I wanted to install on my truck when it gets converted to keep it stock. But if it's not even worth the trouble, I'll just install my B&M right from the get go. :D

The stocker is quiter but it is like "rowing a boat" :D It is to tall and to far to throw it! Arm is to short! gotta use your shoulder to get it to 3rd!...... stick with the B&M

When I first got truck I missed 3rd many times when power shifting, I removed rubber blocks which was a great improvement, but I now have Tony's shifter. It took a few test drives and a couple of easy adjustments but now it is awesome. I have not missed 3rd or any other gear since. Thanks Tony!

The stocker is quiter but it is like "rowing a boat" :D It is to tall and to far to throw it! Arm is to short! gotta use your shoulder to get it to 3rd!...... stick with the B&M

I've heard that the shorter shifter was noisier but I put all of the stock quieting pieces back on and have not heard a peep.

Mine has always been a problem with reverse, stock and short throw.

I've heard that the shorter shifter was noisier but I put all of the stock quieting pieces back on and have not heard a peep.

Mine has always been a problem with reverse, stock and short throw.

Most likely your reverse lock out actuator is failing or failed.

When I first got truck I missed 3rd many times when power shifting, I removed rubber blocks which was a great improvement, but I now have Tony's shifter. It took a few test drives and a couple of easy adjustments but now it is awesome. I have not missed 3rd or any other gear since. Thanks Tony!

John, was your new shifter stiff at first? I just put mine in out of the box thinking that the basic setting would be the lightest but it seems very stiff compared to other cars I've driven lately ( they were all 4 cylinders so I assume that the transmission is lighter but the movement of the stick i was hoping would be slick, smooth, easy, what ever term you can use ) . I have to conciously pull/push harder to get to the next gear. I haven't asked Tony about it and haven't had the time to pull it back apart to see if the adjusters can be loosened without falling out

Yes it was a bit stiff, but within a few hundred miles it did get better. It is still firm but precise. I have only put 2000 miles on truck since then and it still feels perfect.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back