SHifting Problem!! :(

SRT-IZ

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know i know...ths stocker is a piece of crap but honestly, i like it! I rearly miss any gear and especially third with the stock shifter. Ever since replaceing the cluch and slave i have noticed that it will not shift into 2nd or 3rd when above 5500 rpm. Its grinds really bad and finally goes into gear after drops the rpm below 5500. Also, i had trouble putting it into reverse once. I sat there for about a minute trying to get it to go in. After that it never did it again. I changed the master cylinder fluid and transmission fluid (Mobil1) and now i have noticed these propblems. It used to shift fine before all the changes.

Should i be able to see fluid in the tranny when removing the shifter?

Any ideas?

SRT-IZ said:
I know i know...ths stocker is a piece of crap but honestly, i like it! I rearly miss any gear and especially third with the stock shifter. Ever since replaceing the cluch and slave i have noticed that it will not shift into 2nd or 3rd when above 5500 rpm. Its grinds really bad and finally goes into gear after drops the rpm below 5500. Also, i had trouble putting it into reverse once. I sat there for about a minute trying to get it to go in. After that it never did it again. I changed the master cylinder fluid and transmission fluid (Mobil1) and now i have noticed these propblems. It used to shift fine before all the changes.

Should i be able to see fluid in the tranny when removing the shifter?

Any ideas?
you may see some, but you need to remove the plug on the drivers side of the tranny , stick ya big fat finger in there and you should be able to feel the fluid, if not, it needs more;)

but sounds like you may not have all the air out of the system Iz, let it cool off one day and take your time and very slowly bleed it out again, sometimes air will get stuck in the system , and take some time for it to work its way out

Stinker said:
you may see some, but you need to remove the plug on the drivers side of the tranny , stick ya big fat finger in there and you should be able to feel the fluid, if not, it needs more;)

but sounds like you may not have all the air out of the system Iz, let it cool off one day and take your time and very slowly bleed it out again, sometimes air will get stuck in the system , and take some time for it to work its way out

:dito: :dito: :dito: :dito: :dito: :dito:

I also love the red ACR stripe job.Mind if I copy it?????:rock:

When bleeding the system...tap with a rubber mallet a few times to try to get any bubbles that might be trapped in a corner or on the sides of the system.

Really a two person job.

IZ... OMG man change the shifter....really man...I had to pick one mod on this truck to keep it would be that....trust me you would wonder like i did why I drove 30k miles with the stock pos

FerrariTruck said:
IZ... OMG man change the shifter....really man...I had to pick one mod on this truck to keep it would be that....trust me you would wonder like i did why I drove 30k miles with the stock pos
Well im only at 26k so im not quite there yet!:D

Min started out doing the same thing. The reverse issue gradually got worse.

I flushed the clutch lines, flushed the trans and replaced the shifter. Same problem. I just dont see how grinding gears at high rpm and reverse lockout has anything to do with the shifter.... Seems alot like synchros.

JeffBoyette said:
Min started out doing the same thing. The reverse issue gradually got worse.

I flushed the clutch lines, flushed the trans and replaced the shifter. Same problem. I just dont see how grinding gears at high rpm and reverse lockout has anything to do with the shifter.... Seems alot like synchros.

Winner!!!

Sycro's are gone!!!

SRT-IZ said:
If it is...are they hard to replace?:confused:

trans needs to be taken down and apart..

But before you jump the gun, but the shifter, rebleed the clutch again..

I used to have the same problems you noted before I did my clutch/shifter upgrade.

Was a bitch to get in reverse at times..

Now it shifts nice and good

SRT-IZ said:
If it is...are they hard to replace?:confused:

Requires a tranny rebuild...

There is a really easy way to decipher between a clutch problem and a transmition problem... Start the truck, take the e-brake off, and put it in first with the clutch held in. Then rev the motor to red line, if the truck starts moving you have a shifter/clutch/slave problem. If it stays still you know the clutch is completely disengaging, meaning the transmition is keeping you from shifting into gear at high rpm(scyro's)...

Hope that helps

Last edited:
BigRed460 said:
Requires a tranny rebuild...

There is a really easy way to desipher between a clutch problem and a transmition problem... Start the truck, take the e-brake off, and put it in first with the clutch held in. Then rev the motor to red line, if the truck starts moving you have a shifter/clutch/slave problem. If it stays still you know the clutch is completly disengaging, meaning the tranny is keeping you from shifting into gear...

Hope that helps
I just replaced the clutch and slave last month and I also got the spacers required from Justin. As for the shifting, i only have problens at high rmns. Anything lower than that it shifts fine with no problems at all.

Stink, i will try to bleed that sumbitch again and try to stick my fat finger in the hole to see if i have enough fluid. I hope its not the syncros. I've been looking at kits and they run about 200 bucks but im not sure about the rebuild.

Thanks for all the help guys. I will try and do this tonight and will report back!!:rock:

jsut give it a shot bo, but be real slow on bleeding it, take your time and do it slo, and like prof says, tap on it a little to loosen up the bubbles.

check ya fluid, recenter the shifter itself, and see what happens;)

allways when somehting like this happens , revert back to what you just did, and most of the time, that is the culprit;)

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back