Shifting Questions

5_0_BAIT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First things first, I am young 28 (as most of the old guard knows) and have a couple of shifting questions.

Now that I drive a manual (always wanted one, I seem to enjoy driving more!) I have noticed some things I am not sure are normal, so I am asking the family not to me fun but merely help me understand them.

My daily driver is a 2009 Dodge Caliber SRT-4. It has a Getrag 6-speed transmission. I bought it new with 3 miles on it.

Questions:

Why does the gear shifter move (moves back a small amount) when letting off the gas?

Is there a place I can go to learn the act of excellent shifting?

What is granny-shifting?

How come some days my car has a very easy to depress clutch, and others it is very hard? Is this normal for such a change from day to day?

What burns up a clutch? Dumping the clutch? Dragging it? Holding it in to long?

Do you leave it in gear when you shut off the car or use the emergency brake? or both?

How come when I shift very quickly the vehicle shifts very smooth (rather than casually shifting and having to line up rpm's)?

How come sometimes when I downshift or reverse, something seems to prevent me from doing so, and I have to try again and it works effortlessly?

Lastly, I have downshifted before (trying to be quicker and smoother) and shifted down without depressing the clutch and it shifted into gear smooth without any noise or prevention? I thought the clutch alsways had to be depressed?

I know it is alot of questions but to be honest, There is no teacher that tells you what you are doing wrong. I just want to make sure that I am not doing anything out of the ordinary. Don't worry, I have a couple of years experience driving manuals, but I am looking for pointers from those that have "real" experience. Funny how there are classes to teach driving, but none to teach "real driving":dontknow:

(These questions are being asked by myself because like most of us "yunguns" we taught ourselves to drive a stick. I would appreciate no derogatory remarks. Make fun, yes I enjoy a laugh too, but please no retard remarks!

I put this in general because I thought shifter questions would also be useful to RC drivers, maybe LOL
)

1. The gear shifter moves because your tranny is moving you have to remember that the little stick connects to the tranny which is attached to all the moving parts of the car

2.You tube... I do alot of drive way racing.. sit in your drive way or garage with the engine off and just go threw the gears until you think you have it down

3. SLOOoooow shifting

4. The smoothness varies of the temp out side.. some times the clutch is harder to move on days it's colder or vice-versa

5. What burns up a clutch is having the RPMS way up and letting the clutch out real slowly.. also killer 60ft times will kill a clutch pretty darn quick also

6. i always leave my Ebreak on and leave it in 1st gear that way if the ebreak ever slips you have a secondary break.. last thing you want is to see your car rolling down a hill backwards with out you in it

7. i don't know about this one... you might be hitting the gears just right when your shifting fast.... try not to think about shifting just drive it!

8. most cars and trucks have a reverse lock out and a 1st lock out it will only let you go into 1st gear under a certian MPH

9. you can drive it like a diesel but i wouldn't do it.. it's still hard on the tranny

lastly... i'm 22 years old my first truck was a 88 Jeep wrangle 5 speed... i just kept taking it around the block.. all you can do is drive the thing.. i've found driveway shifting helps out alot!

No need to make fun of you man.. just odn't over think it.. just shift the car like a mad man and it'll go into gear!

5_0_BAIT said:
First things first, I am young 28 (as most of the old guard knows) and have a couple of shifting questions.

Now that I drive a manual (always wanted one, I seem to enjoy driving more!) I have noticed some things I am not sure are normal, so I am asking the family not to me fun but merely help me understand them.

My daily driver is a 2009 Dodge Caliber SRT-4. It has a Getrag 6-speed transmission. I bought it new with 3 miles on it.

Questions:

Why does the gear shifter move (moves back a small amount) when letting off the gas?

Is there a place I can go to learn the act of excellent shifting?

What is granny-shifting?

How come some days my car has a very easy to depress clutch, and others it is very hard? Is this normal for such a change from day to day?If it is a hydraulic clutch it will do like Tooloe described, and dont forget to change the clutch fluid often;)

What burns up a clutch? Dumping the clutch? Dragging it? Holding it in to long? All of these will burn a clutch up

Do you leave it in gear when you shut off the car or use the emergency brake? or both?Yes to both

How come when I shift very quickly the vehicle shifts very smooth (rather than casually shifting and having to line up rpm's)?Dont complain on this one:p

How come sometimes when I downshift or reverse, something seems to prevent me from doing so, and I have to try again and it works effortlessly?Like Tooloe said lock out mechanisms

Lastly, I have downshifted before (trying to be quicker and smoother) and shifted down without depressing the clutch and it shifted into gear smooth without any noise or prevention? I thought the clutch alsways had to be depressed? Not if you hit it at the right rpms you don't need the clutch that just takes practice:D

I know it is alot of questions but to be honest, There is no teacher that tells you what you are doing wrong. I just want to make sure that I am not doing anything out of the ordinary. Don't worry, I have a couple of years experience driving manuals, but I am looking for pointers from those that have "real" experience. Funny how there are classes to teach driving, but none to teach "real driving":dontknow:

(These questions are being asked by myself because like most of us "yunguns" we taught ourselves to drive a stick. I would appreciate no derogatory remarks. Make fun, yes I enjoy a laugh too, but please no retard remarks!

I put this in general because I thought shifter questions would also be useful to RC drivers, maybe LOL
)

Read between the lines:marchmellow: ;)

The idea of working on it in the driveway is excellent thanks. I have also tried moving my seat around for comfort shifting gears instead of "coolness" LOL

5_0_BAIT said:
The idea of working on it in the driveway is excellent thanks. I have also tried moving my seat around for comfort shifting gears instead of "coolness" LOL
i normall change the fluid every oil change but.. i don't completely change it i suction the old out of the fulid holder and just put new back into it.. but thats just because i beat the hell out of my truck lol

5_0_BAIT said:
Tooloe those help alot thanks!!!

DevilDawg3097, thanks! How often should I change the clutch fluid??
In your car every 6k-10k should be good. But just check it when you change your oi,l brake fliud(clutch fluid) should always look golden when it starts to turn (brown syrup looking)that means it is starting to break down and time to change.

On my old RX8 I could easily shift up and down...speedshift without the clutch. I haven't found or felt the sweet spot in the truck to do this so I just pump and throw on the truck. 3rd is the only gear I find tricky on occasion. On decel read up on heel toe shifting, matching the RPM to the next gear down for a smoother transition....get it wrong in the truck and your going for a ride, work on that in the car first

Thanks Demon8 for advice will do.

Bad news though......I have never changed the clutch fluid!!!!!:( :( :(

I have 18K miles now!!!! Wonder what I have messed up!! So much for keeping up with the maintenance! Guess I should have read the manual:( :(

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back