Shocking Concept

RAMviperIFFIC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I have an idea for a vertical rear shock mount. I used my tools to model up a rough concept drawing. The "weld-in" shock mount would use the bump-stop mounting holes for locational purposes.:burnout:

Thoughts or feedback?

Attachments

• suspension inside.jpg
    suspension inside.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 127
  • suspension outside.jpg
    suspension outside.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 90
RAMviperIFFIC said:
Hello,

I have an idea for a vertical rear shock mount. I used my tools to model up a rough concept drawing. The "weld-in" shock mount would use the bump-stop mounting holes for locational purposes.:burnout:

Thoughts or feedback?

LOL:laugh: :laugh:

You are just a bolt on fool!!

Great drawings, keep us updated as to wether you pursue this and bolt it on!!:D :D

Nice drawings!

Not sure if that will be good or bad. I know that there has been a lot of talk about the angles and stuff on the suspension on these trucks. Someone who knows better will most likely chime in. Looks good to me, but I wouldn't be the first!;)

dont forget the axle will twist under normal acceleration. need the room for the axle twist.

Better Motion Control

silversnake said:
what would the benefits be by doing this?

With the limited amount of suspension travel we have on our trucks, especially if you have lowered it, and the shocks being mounted at an angle, the shock does not use much of its' stroke. Take my truck for example, from a static position, my axle can move up about 2 inches until it hits the bump stop, the shock probably only strokes about 1-1/4 inches for that 2 inch axle movement.

Now to look at it even deeper, with cheap shocks (like came with my lowering kit), the soft rubber bushings and the poor valving (especially in transition), the shock is most likely only stroking 1 inch at the most for that 2 inch axle movement. (this is more apparent in a slalom type situation when rapidly shifting the direction of your vehicles energy.)

My goal is to have a 1 to 1 ratio of axle movement and shock movement. By doing this, you increase the life of your shock and also are able to stabilize the vehicle better in a performance driving situation. Besides, it's fun to try new ideas.:D

Let's do the twist....

dragon said:
dont forget the axle will twist under normal acceleration. need the room for the axle twist.
I believe that with my Calrtracs, the axle does not twist much when moving forward.

However, when backing up hard, it twist like a MoFo! I'll make sure there's clearance for some bit of rotation.

thanks,

Jon

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back