Shops that can "key" crankshafts???? Florida

Tork_MoNsTeR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My buddy is looking for shops around central FL that could key his crank for him..... Anyone know of such a shop?? I told him Id help him out and ask you guys.....

Last edited:
Any decent machine shop should be able to do it. Not too hard to do. I talked with my machinist yesterday about doing my crank. He told me that they will not do it until they have the hub in hand because not all hubs are the same. They have had issues with ATI balancers in the past where they say the keys are 180 degrees apart, when they really were not.

Do you HAVE to pull the crank or can it be done in the truck?

Tork_MoNsTeR said:
Do you HAVE to pull the crank or can it be done in the truck?

i would think it needs to be out.

i talked to my builder last week about keying mine, i think its good insurance especially with a s/c.

i just found out my parts just came back from the machine shop. ill post some pics of the keyed crank later.

LoveThisTruck said:
What is the benefit of having this done:dontknow: Somebody educate me please:D

stock damper is help on by just a bolt. some late '03 early '04 were not torqued correctly causin "damage"

pin or keyed just very good insurance to keep the damper from spinnin

think some one here sheared their pinned crank/damper.

pinned is good. keyed is much better, IMVHO.

there is a kit to pin it. don't have to yank the ol crank to do it is another plus

Last edited:
ZCx said:
stock damper is help on by just a bolt. some late '03 early '04 were not torqued correctly causin "damage"

there is a kit to pin it. don't have to yank the ol crank to do it is another plus

Thanks, I'll talk to my builder about it. What's the price difference from having it pinned to having it keyed?

Pinned takes minutes to do, keyed takes well many hours, take the crank out of the truck and to a machine shop have they put a slot in the end of the crank, Reinstall the crank bla bla bla.... Key it.. is a simple kit from paxton ,, Line up the kit Drill a couple holes place your pins done... Id say there is a massive price diff 1000s

SRT10VENOMOUS said:
Pinned takes minutes to do, keyed takes well many hours, take the crank out of the truck and to a machine shop have they put a slot in the end of the crank, Reinstall the crank bla bla bla.... Key it.. is a simple kit from paxton ,, Line up the kit Drill a couple holes place your pins done... Id say there is a massive price diff 1000s

Sweet, thanks for the info guys:rock:

ZCx said:

my balancer bot must have worked loose with the roe pin kit supplied with the s/c and sheered the pins. it wont do that again.

SRT10VENOMOUS said:

if he is already gonna have his crank out for his build its not going to be a price difference in the k's. i think it would be a wise decsion, you can never be too safe.

But what if youre just goin SC.... If the engine is staying together?

perk_1405 said:
if he is already gonna have his crank out for his build its not going to be a price difference in the k's. i think it would be a wise decsion, you can never be too safe.

yes sir if he has it out already then definitely key it.. But for the guy who does not have his crank out LOL.. pinning it would be just fine.

i had to get a new crank b/c the balancer f***ed the snout up, when the pins let loose. but there have only a few occurances of the balancer comming loose, its up to you. i know if i was pulling it i would have it keyed, if i was just putting a s/c kit on i would probably just use the pins but i would keep an eye on the balancer bolt for a while.

perk_1405 said:

I'll call my builder tomorrow and see how much $$$ it'll run me. I don't want to have to worry about a DAMN THING after this build:) with the exception of tires and clutch:burnout: :burnout: :burnout:

SRT10VENOMOUS said:
yes sir if he has it out already then definitely key it.. But for the guy who does not have his crank out LOL.. pinning it would be just fine.

trq monster was just talking to me about building his motor LOL... so i assumed he would have the crank out LOL..

LoveThisTruck said:
I'll call my builder tomorrow and see how much $$$ it'll run me. I don't want to have to worry about a DAMN THING after this build:) with the exception of tires and clutch:burnout: :burnout: :burnout:

your crank might already be pinned. :dontknow: :dontknow: :dontknow:

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back