Simple Question for the Experts...

rottenronnie said:
Well, if you were on some of the Ford/GM sites, you would find that in some of the aftermarket "H-Flow" cat shootouts, they didn't work as well (flow) as the o.e.m. units. The o.e.m. cats have come a LONG way, especially the ones used on the factory performance vehicles.

With our trucks, getting rid of the FOUR o.e.m. cats in favour of TWO "Hi-Flow" cats is generally a good move toward better performance. I run two B&B Hi-Flow cats and noticed a nice difference coming from the 4 factory cats..pipe diameter and mandrel bends with a complete performance exhaust system, also helps in the big picture.

I would have gone catless but I don't like the stink...I had more than enough of that with the old muscle cars.

..if any of this helps answer your question(s)...

Ronnie

I swear I don't remember my old 454 Chevelle smelling as bad as my 10.
I was about to ask if it could be running rich after pulling the cats.
No cel light but the smell will burn your nose and I am sure people behind me like cops can smell it.:confused:

i'm in the same position with the sound only...my neighbor's already know when i start my truck in the morning (1/4 mile up the road), and i personally don't like the catless tone...but if there's no difference in the high flows (hp wise) then i'll keep it how it is with just the rears removed...

fursale said:
I swear I don't remember my old 454 Chevelle smelling as bad as my 10.
I was about to ask if it could be running rich after pulling the cats.
No cel light but the smell will burn your nose and I am sure people behind me like cops can smell it.:confused:

That is from the reformulated fuels used in most big cities. They add an ogygenating compound either MTBE or ethanol + some additional additives depending on the supplier. These additives are what stink on a catless vehicle. Fuel from the 70's (and outside the big cities in alot of states) doesn't make your exhaust smell so offensive when running sans cats.

JMB Justin said:
Ive got super high flow stainless metallic substrate, 200 cel per inch cats for $290 a pair. Weve dyno'd a ~450whp viper before and after with these cats and it made less than 5whp difference from catless.
Justin

Did your customer notice a significant drop in heat (in the cabin/door sill)? I've heard this is the main reason most go with no cats/ highflows on the viper.... :dontknow:

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back