Snow Tires and Rims?

SinorSwim

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have not decided if I am going to drive my truck this winter. I am located in Toronto.

Has anybody done a snow tire and rim package and how are the results?

What package do you go with? How much did you pay?

I may just store it and get something else for 3-4 months.

'05 RC, 14500 miles and problem free, best fun ever!

TIA.

I would recommend storing it for the 3 months...these trucks have too much power, and no traction, let alone in snow / rain conditions.

-Red

Do a 4 wheel drive conversion, put a automatic tranny in it. Put a 6" lift kit on it and some 33" swampers and you'll be good to go. :D :D

DrPierceMD said:
Do a 4 wheel drive conversion, put a automatic tranny in it. Put a 6" lift kit on it and some 33" swampers and you'll be good to go. :D :D

Oh my god, it's 1TallSRT.:eek: Hawkeye has been fooling us for all these months.;) :p :D

I see you got your star son.:rock:

I live in what I affectionatly call the Festhering Shit Hole, or otherwise known as Western Washington. Not only does it rain here, it stays gray for months on end.

Anyway, I drive mine in the rain and it's like driving a normal vehicle in the snow. I would hate to attempt to drive this beast in the snow, nor would I want to expose it the chemicals and sand they use.

So park it and buy a winter beater. You will only enjoy and appreciate the truck that much more when you take it out of storage.

Silverback said:
Oh my god, it's 1TallSRT.:eek: Hawkeye has been fooling us for all these months.;) :p :D

I see you got your star son.:rock:

Did 1Tall attempt something like this???:D

Yep got my star thanks pop. And thanks again Jack and Patrick for this site.

You'll need a 20" rim, at the very least. There are several semi-cool styles out there. Fortunately, you'll only need to have them on for a few months/weeks of the year.

There are plenty of good snow tires out there. For snow tires, you don't want to go too wide (certainly not the massive meats on there now). Thinner tires won't get you the performance, but they will cut through snow quite well.

Get some weight in the bed:
http://www.stylinconcepts.com/parts.aspx/partfamilyid/1658/subcategoryid/344/categoryid/25
Something like that will help with traction. MPG will suck, but....telling that to SRT-10 owners is like telling other people that the sky is blue. :)

I haven't had any issues with mine in the rain, aside from typical traction loss leaving stoplights....but that happens on dry roads too. LOL Mine will also be a winter driver. Hopefully it's a light winter.
Come on, Global Warming!!!!
:D

got a nephew with a z71 that has 20's with bf goodwrench mud tires on them they would probably work. hes at school today but ill tru to get a pic and post it up

If you go with a snow tire combo stay away from mud terrain tires. THey are worthless as a snow tire. Mud tires have harder rubber compounds so they won't chip out in the rocks. This rubber compound gets harder in cold weather and slicker. Look for a heavily siped snow tire like a Michelin Alpine or a Bridgestone Blizzak. I am using Yokahama all season and they do a decent job but with such a wide tire they are still slick.

STORE IT............................!!!!!

"Be true to your teeth and they won't be false to you"......(Soupy Sales)

Go out and get an old Toyota Land Cruiser..... They fkn last forever....

SD

Last edited:
I've driven my 05 Regular cab the past 2 winters in the Denver area. Have the original tires and I get around just fine. I just throw 4 75lb bags of sand in the back and go. The only time I get really concerned is when the roads are solid ice or extremely slushy. Slow down and drive accordingly.

Broke said:
Slow down and drive accordingly.
Best advice thus far.

An extra (4x4 or FWD) vehicle is a great way to go, but sometimes it's not financially or physically possible. Extra insurance, plates, maintenance....It costs more than you think.
Then storage for the 8 mos. you aren't using it.

For some it works. For others it might not.

Must be nice to afford two vehicles.

If I am making payments, then I drive it all year round. I can't afford any other option. This is my family vehicle(4 kids), race boat tower, and fun fast truck all in one! :D

Michigan winters near the Ohio/Indiana borders have been fairly mild as far as snow. I am just going to run what is on it and add some sand bags also. If I can drive a 94 & 98 Camaro through the winter, then this truck will not be a problem.

Silverback said:
...Anyway, I drive mine in the rain and it's like driving a normal vehicle in the snow. I would hate to attempt to drive this beast in the snow, nor would I want to expose it the chemicals and sand they use.

So park it and buy a winter beater. You will only enjoy and appreciate the truck that much more when you take it out of storage.

Listen to the man.

This truck is very ill tempered on less than optimum traction surfaces. More than once I have experienced the tailgate trying to get in front of the grill...and that was on dry roads in Florida. Now live in Illinois, it will be in the garage at the first sign of freezing rain. And I only drive it on dry days during warmer weather...but maybe that is because it is black...and I am a little compulsive about a clean truck.

rreinicherr said:
If I can drive a 94 & 98 Camaro through the winter, then this truck will not be a problem.
When I was in college, I used to deliver pizzas in a '70 Mercury Cougar (351C, C6, Holley 750's, about 400HP).....in Steamboat Springs, CO.
Yep- RWD in a town that averages 28 feet of snowfall a year. Snow tires and sand bags got me through, along with some very careful driving. Ya learn quick in that environment. :)

Oh, and storing a set of winter wheels/tires is a lot easier than storing an entire 4x4/winter car. :D

You can also get resourceful: Check with co-workers about rides to work on crappy days. Trade off with them for nice days! (Saves gas too!)

I would have say store it... I dont have that problem here in the Southwest...but I can feel for you...

I lived in Iowa for 22 years of my life. Got up one morning for work it was 50 degrees out, and dry, drove the Twin Turbo Stealth in, had to leave work early because a blizzard came in, temps dropped to 28 degrees, and it had snowed 1 foot by the time I left, it took me nearly 2 hours of precarious driving to get home, and the drive was only 8-9 miles, I had to keep my speeds up to keep from getting stuck, made it all the way to the development I lived in, and got stuck in the entry way... they had to tow me out with a bobcat, which was being used to plow the area.

I got stuck in a snow storm one other time as well... I was heading back from a trip in Idaho back home to Phoenix I ran into a storm in Northern arizona near Page, as I headed up towards 8000 feet.... that made for a interesting few hours...

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back