SPARK PLUG INDEXING

SANCHOBA

TEXAS A&M DAD
Supporting Member
Reaction score
okay... from what i have gathered in my search,point the open end of the plug and tighten between 10 and 2 (closer to twelve the better?)once you have threaded in the plug. my question is about the indexing washers...size? 14mm? copper? flat? i'm thinking about using the NGK iridiums ZFR6FIX-11. good plug? thoughts?

I did it by having 30 plugs to replace 10 then trying multiples until I got the orientation like I wanted it. I saw no improvement.

oldguy

oldguysrt10

Member Number: 874

Indexed Sparkplugs -- Note...Difference In Plugs

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Some time in the past there was a thread indicating a possible performance improvement from indexing plugs due to the design of our combustion chamber. Seemed reasonable to me so I bought 20 new plugs per suggestion on the thread and went at it. Having learned on my Hemi that more expensive on plugs wasn't necessarily an improvement, I stayed with regular class plugs and bought NGK ZFR6F-11G V-Power plugs. After installation I compared the spare new plugs to the old (Champion RC12ECC) OEM plugs. The thread length of both plugs was identical but the ceramic part of the plug that extends into the cylinder was ca. 3/16" longer on the Champion than on the NGKs. I ran about 8,000 miles on the NGKs, couldn't get comfortable with the shorter electrode, (assumed DC had a reason for how the OEM plugs were configured, concerned about the spark not being as deep into the cylinder, and concerned about the reduced mass/minimal compression ratio reduction in the combustion chamber) so I bought 20 new OEM plugs and indexed/installed them yesterday. May just be my imagination but it seems to start just a little quicker now, and have a tighter/smoother idle.
Primary reason for the post is just to say there are some surprising (electrode length this time) differences in plugs that I would have assumed to be identical excepting a v-groove on the NGKs.

Yep, probably being anal but little things sometime add up and make a difference.

oldguy

so...your saying it was your imagination?:dontknow:

and this......

"Considering how cheap plugs are and my time being free, seemed worth the effort to gain a few free hosepower."

oldguy

Indexed Ngk Iridiums. Dont know if it was the indexing or the Iridium, but it was worth the money and the effort. As much of an improvement as a K&N FIPK CAI. K&N sounds GOOOOOOOD though

SANCHOBA said:
oldguysrt10

Member Number: 874

Indexed Sparkplugs -- Note...Difference In Plugs

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Some time in the past there was a thread indicating a possible performance improvement from indexing plugs due to the design of our combustion chamber. Seemed reasonable to me so I bought 20 new plugs per suggestion on the thread and went at it. Having learned on my Hemi that more expensive on plugs wasn't necessarily an improvement, I stayed with regular class plugs and bought NGK ZFR6F-11G V-Power plugs. After installation I compared the spare new plugs to the old (Champion RC12ECC) OEM plugs. The thread length of both plugs was identical but the ceramic part of the plug that extends into the cylinder was ca. 3/16" longer on the Champion than on the NGKs. I ran about 8,000 miles on the NGKs, couldn't get comfortable with the shorter electrode, (assumed DC had a reason for how the OEM plugs were configured, concerned about the spark not being as deep into the cylinder, and concerned about the reduced mass/minimal compression ratio reduction in the combustion chamber) so I bought 20 new OEM plugs and indexed/installed them yesterday. May just be my imagination but it seems to start just a little quicker now, and have a tighter/smoother idle.
Primary reason for the post is just to say there are some surprising (electrode length this time) differences in plugs that I would have assumed to be identical excepting a v-groove on the NGKs.

Yep, probably being anal but little things sometime add up and make a difference.

oldguy

so...your saying it was your imagination?:dontknow:

Was my imagination.......no difference. I'm anal......went back to a set of plugs/not indexed......no difference than from the indexed set that I could tell. Also had heard how some folks saw a smoother idle after installation of their Roe S/C......didn't have that either.

oldguy

Sanchoba if your gonna inex the plugs , go with a standard NGK plug, honestly the iridium plugs is a waste of good $ , they will give no better service than the standard plugs.

A good set of wires tho , does wonders.\\

but take your time, if you get a couple sets and mark the plugs you should be able to get them indexed fairly easy, as far as performance?

its still up in the air, but every little bit helps bro:congrats:

JeffBoyette said:
Indexed Ngk Iridiums. Dont know if it was the indexing or the Iridium, but it was worth the money and the effort. As much of an improvement as a K&N FIPK CAI. K&N sounds GOOOOOOOD though

When I increased the boost on my Lincoln to 16 psi the Iridiums were the only plugs that would fire under that amount of boost.

Don't know if there is any benefit N/A or not. They simply require less voltage to fire, and supposedly last longer.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back