Spark Plug Problem #5,7,9

HawaiianViper

Reaction score
I went to change my spark plugs today. I have a 2005 SRT10 R/C..I couldn't remove #5,7,9 spark plug boots. Any ideas or suggestions on removal without tearing apart the wire? Its a pain to replace the wires now, and removing the intake manifold to get to the coils. I'm in Hawaii and SRT10 parts have to be ordered from the continental states, and shipped...its a real pain and very expensive. Just to give you an idea..no one stocks gaskets here in Hawaii for this truck or any viper. Just about every part for this truck has to be special ordered. Just about the only thing that is stocked in auto parts stores and dealers is bulbs and fluids.

I didn't plan on removing my intake manifold until next year when I purchase the ROE Supercharger. Any ideas and suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Chad

Take a fat pliers and grab the spark puld heat shelids with them and just wiggle them off, that makes it super easy to get the spark plug boots off. If you bend the heat shields a little it's easy to bend them back and just tap them into place after your done. No need to take the exhaust manifolds off cause you'll have to buy new gaskets which will probably take 2 weeks to come in. Hope this helps, I took off my spark plug boots and heat sheilds and left my spark plugs in when I put my Belangers on.

yea man there not hard once you take the heat shields off.....If you mess up any let me know....I have a oem set of wires laying around that I would hook ya up with

Make sure you twist the wire boot before you pull! And , with plug wire boot pliers , pull on boot not the wire

Make sure you twist the wire boot before you pull! And , with plug wire boot pliers , pull on boot not the wire

EXACTLY what he said^^^^ You are right, you do not wanna take the intake off unless you abosolutely have to:burnout::argh:

Just did this last night. I used Chanel locks and grabbed the top (grey) part of the boot and pulled. Do not pull on the black wire. The more difficult part was getting the socket in there 5 and 9 I had to drop in the socket then put in the 6" extension 5" would have would better and then had to get the handle on top. I did not lock the handle in as I could not reach the releAse button cause it was pressing against the heat shield once the Plug was backed all the way out. So I put it in just enough to turn the handle to loosen and then pulled the handle off and finished loose ing by hand. I then used needle nose to push down on the socket to release it as i pulled the extension off. I then had a hit blonde reach in with her small handsto pull out the old socket and old plug then reverse to install new plug.

yea man there not hard once you take the heat shields off.....If you mess up any let me know....I have a oem set of wires laying around that I would hook ya up with

Just ripped mine!! Fml they were stuck on there. I used pliers but still no bueno. Still got those oem wires?

rare03srt10 said:
Just ripped mine!! Fml they were stuck on there. I used pliers but still no bueno. Still got those oem wires?

I may have my set. There yours for free. Pm me ur shipping info.

Just a suggestion. Jack up the front end and take off both front wheels and remove the fender liners. It is not that hard to remove them, just make sure to push out the ABS sensor plug plastic push connector from the fender liner before you try to take it out. Makes getting to the heatshields and plugs very easy. I also suggest blowing out the crevice where the plug sits with compressed air before you remove them. Alot of crap gets down in there and may fall into the cylinder when you remove the plugs. I had to remove my headers awhile back and had the fender liners out so I figured I would change the plugs while the headers were off the truck and it was super simple to get them that way. Not suggesting you take your manifolds off but trust me it is much better coming at the plugs from the sides than laying on top of the engine and reaching down for the plugs.

Just a suggestion. Jack up the front end and take off both front wheels and remove the fender liners. It is not that hard to remove them, just make sure to push out the ABS sensor plug plastic push connector from the fender liner before you try to take it out. Makes getting to the heatshields and plugs very easy. I also suggest blowing out the crevice where the plug sits with compressed air before you remove them. Alot of crap gets down in there and may fall into the cylinder when you remove the plugs. I had to remove my headers awhile back and had the fender liners out so I figured I would change the plugs while the headers were off the truck and it was super simple to get them that way. Not suggesting you take your manifolds off but trust me it is much better coming at the plugs from the sides than laying on top of the engine and reaching down for the plugs.

sounds like it takes all the "fun?" out of standin on your head, with your arm in more positions than its made for, lol.:D:rock:

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back