Squeak when cold

Crapola, that sounds like me when getting out of bed. :D The squeak I mean, not the valve clatter.

Power steering intermittent at all or low on fluid? I heard a low wine but hard to tell. The louder tick outside the normal valve train noise caught my attention more.

Check all the fluids oil and PS mainly. If it's cold enough the PS fluid may gel a bit and cause it. Check the battery before you start it for a surface charge. Alt might just be working overtime to get it back up.

Last edited:
Check your idler pulley bearings. And always check the torque on the harmonic dampner .

mine does that too. been trying to figure it out. if i spay silicone spray on the bearing on th PS pump it seems to go away. but mine does it when its cold too.

So I replaced the tensioner and idler pulley today. The squeak appears to be gone but it wasnt cold here today so we will see. I ordered a belt to but damn rock auto I got the wrong one!!

Squeak

Hey blazing so you changed tensioner and idler pulley and squeak is gone ....?

Yup. Pretty sure it was just the tensioner but did the idler just because.

Let me add what a pain in the a$$ to replace too. Could only use a wrench a 1/4 turn at time!!

Last edited:
Squeak

Awesome bud because the video you posted My truck is doing exact same thing and sound only cold starts so your video and post really helped me out bro mine If i spray tensioner pulley before startup it would not make noise so this pretty much confirms its my tensioner I also swapped out idler while chasing down the noise

Well glad it helped you out. My noise wouldnt go away spraying anything. I think it was the spring in the tensioner squeaking. Its been quiet since so im ok with it. I did buy mopar parts for it.

You're lucky! I started with the idler and tensioner pulleys with no luck. My squeak was a water pump. I will say changing a water pump on these is WAY easier than I expected it would be though.

Tensioner, idler and serp belt should be replaced on ALL trucks if it hasent already been done. 10+ YEAR OLD TRUCKS!

GET TO IT !!

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back